bike school

garegin

Sep 3, 2007
i wanna know if there are school where they teach you bike repair. i cant take this anymore. everytime my bike breaks i have to haul it to the shop. we dont have a car to put the bike in so u imagine the situation.
i am a computer tech, so i know the frustration others have when small things break in their systems. in live in brooklyn, btw

garegin said:
i wanna know if there are school where they teach you bike repair. i cant take this anymore. everytime my bike breaks i have to haul it to the shop. we dont have a car to put the bike in so u imagine the situation.
i am a computer tech, so i know the frustration others have when small things break in their systems. in live in brooklyn, btw
I don't know of any school in your area. Sometimes bike shops will give a course on basic bicycle repair so you might check with your LBS. If you are halfway mechanically inclined, you might try purchasing a repair manual like The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair for Road & Mountain Bikes by Todd Downs. It costs about $20.00 and is published by Rodale Press. It is available at all major bookstores, at Amazon.com, or at www.bicycling.com or www.rodalestore.com. It has step by step, easy to understand directions for most any bike repair along with photographs. It is the best repair manual that I have been able to find for the price. Regardless of whether you purchase the book or attend a class, the biggest expense will be purchasing tools.

so is it pretty much that no schools actually exist or they do but i have to search for them? i could ask a few people around in the LBS. thanks for the book suggestion:)

There are also online resources.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com

http://parktool.com

are two that come to mind.

I believe there are schools targetted at bicycle mechanics, but they are probably beyond what you would need for personal use.

If you are mechanically inclined, the above 2 sites, and a few tools that they will guide you to purchase will give you most of what you need to do your own maintenance.

Also, feel free to ask specific questions here when you get stuck...

Also search here, or bikeforums.net for a lot of useful information.

thanks a lot guys. my first paycheck goes to this. i spent more than 100 bucks in TWO years, so this is really worth it.