Bike Seat for Long Distance

Comatose51

Dec 10, 2004
What's a good comfortable seat for long distance? I just started getting serious about cycling but my seat makes the tendons on the inside of my thigh ache. If you can't recommend a specific brand or model, at least say what I should look for in one.

Thanks.

When it comes to seats, rather unfortunately, it all depends on the design of your posterior... so what people propose must always be taken with a grain of salt (what fits my butt probably will not match yours). :p

Having said that, I ride an ancient and very heavy San Marco Rolls, which fits my behind puhfectly. Quite a few people seem to be riding Fizik Airones also.

Or you could go for the great classic Brooks, in leather. Once you break it in (painful), it will match your butt like no other. :D

Anyway, it will take a bit to figure out whcih one fits you best.

Enjoy the shopping and riding!

I've been through this myself. Everyones different, but here's a couple of good ones to try. 1: Brooks B-17. I haven't personally tried it, because I really like the perennial relief seats(cut-out up the center) seats, but many people swear by them. 2: Specialized body Geometry seats. I personally use a "Sport" model on my tourer, and it's perfect for me. 3: Koobi Au Enduro. I have that one on my everyday rider. I've put many centuries on that one and I can't say enough good things about it. Just a few good options in my humble opinion.

Fizik's Arione is the best saddle for me. I can ride on that thing forever without discomfort - at least coming from the saddle. ;) Thing is, as mentioned by others, its largely dependent on your physique. Comfort to me may not be comfort to you, but I suggest you try out an Arione if you can.

Comatose51 said:
What's a good comfortable seat for long distance? I just started getting serious about cycling but my seat makes the tendons on the inside of my thigh ache. If you can't recommend a specific brand or model, at least say what I should look for in one.

Thanks.
Good luck. I went through 8 saddles in 2 years before finding one I could tolerate for 3+ hour rides. Many of them were good for an hour's ride and a few of them were good for 2 hours, but I only have 1 that I can actually sit on without squirming much for 3, 4 or 5 hour rides and it could still be better.

Right now I'm using one of the "good for about an hour" saddles on the bike on the trainer as I'm trying to toughen myself up a bit. So far it isn't working as I'm still a wuss.

i won't try to tell you what seat to get. everyone's butt and riding style is different. selle italia has an interesting article on their website detailing the differences in their saddles. i found it useful.

good luck

bob

RBS said:
i won't try to tell you what seat to get. everyone's butt and riding style is different. selle italia has an interesting article on their website detailing the differences in their saddles. i found it useful.

good luck

bob
Their site has been down for a while. Do you have a different link from this?

http://www.selleitalia.com

Finding the right saddle to me is one of the hardest things to do. I don't know how many saddles I tried till I found the right one for me. The Specialized body geometry v-groove saddle was my best choice, Even though it is not a real high price saddle it was the most comfortable for me. I have one on my road bike and one on my tandem. My wife is a believer in the Trek WSD saddle.

Comatose51 said:

Thanks.

When I have that kind of pain, it is because my seat is a little too high. Do you find that your hips rock from side to side (even just slightly) as you pedal fast (90+ RPM)? That is a sure sign that the seat is too high. You might consider dropping the seat about a 1/4 inch or 3/8 (7 - 10 mm) at a time and try riding 10-20 miles each time. If this is the source of the problem, you will probably immediately feel an improvement. If this is indeed the problem, getting a proper bike fitting ($75-$100 usually) would probably be very worthwhile.

I have a Specialized Body Geometry Pro saddle, that I love, but as mentioned, saddle comfort is mostly personal preference. The only thing I would say is that a good saddle usually costs $80 and up. Anything cheaper than that is a big gamble.

Good luck!

Hello there I use Brooks on both of my bikes Brooks swift on road Brooks pro off roar.I like them but would not tell ever one they are the answer to there problem.What I will say is that most people I see on bikes have there saddle to high and most of the problems they have from sore back butt shoulders to numb hands can stem from this problem.Most people if they could see them selves from where every ones else does and not looking down at them selves would be surprised at how high they are and how much faster and more comfordable they woud be a little lower.Try it you will like it.

Comatose51 said:
What's a good comfortable seat for long distance?
I use a Terry Men's Firefly. I had tried a Selle Italia SLK (or SLR!?) ... the one that's ~140g. A whole 100g lighter than the Firefly. A whole 100g of padding lighter. Was unbearable for me. The Firefly ... I've used on 20 mile jaunts to 100+ rides. Extremely comfortable.

Make sure you get a saddle from an LBS that will let you keep trying different ones until you get one that works.

Best.

I have had really good luck with the Specialized Body Geometry saddles. I have a Milano that I use for 3+ hour rides and an Avatar that I ride the rest of the time. Both are great.

I ended up on a surprise metric century on Saturday because of the nice weather. I didn't even realize that I had the Avatar on until I went out yesterday. Make sure that you get the right fit though if you go for the Avatar. It comes in 3 sizes to match your sit bones. The fit system makes it a lot easier to dial in the correct size.

I use a Selle Italia SLR carbon. Perfect for me, even for 300 km rides, but as many in this thread say, this is indeed one very individual part of your bike!

Comatose51 said:

Thanks.
try this: get a piece of flat cardboard and butt naked sit on it, preferably place the cardboard on a very firm surface (like a wood cofee table or chair). Make sure you sit hard on it in order to leave an impression of your "seat bones". rock back and forth to imitate the positions you'll be on when riding. Depending on the density of cardboard your "seat" impressions may be faint, but you'll be able to see them, especially if you shine a light at an angle.
Circle with a pencil the outer edges of each "dimple" and measure at the widest point (out to out) and from center to center. (do it in BOTH mm and inches). Use these dimensions as a basis to check if saddle will support your seat bones. You don't want something too wide or too narrow (unless all you do is racing). Then also measure the perpendicular distance from the your seat bone axis to your scrotum. This will tell you where you should look for "center relief". Take the cardboard with you when you shop, it will inmediately eliminate the saddle you don't want. (i did this, I have two saddles a Terry and Koobi that I switch depending on the type of ride I'm going to do)
Some good and comfortable saddles (in my opinion) Terry, Koobi, Especialized, and maybe Fi'zik? ( I don't know how to spell it) I'm sure others will have a totally different brand suggestions. Koobi has a series of great articles and technical notes on saddle design (cover, padding, geometry, rails, relief areas, etc) on their web site. Fi'zik has beautiful photos of their saddles (they are too "hard" and narrow for me) but they sure are almost a work of art.
Hope this helps...

I use a Forte SLX carbon saddle... I find it comfortable even after 200 miles. I guess my posterior can handle the narrow and hard saddles. :)