Bike seats!

SterlingJay0123

Jan 20, 2016
At the moment I have a fifties style bicycle with the wide handlebars and large wide seat, it's very comfortable but the material on the cushion has worn down after years of wear and tear. I love the shape of the seat, but I'm not sure if I should look into something different that might be more comfortable. I also don't know which material to pick, I know pleather and similar materials are sturdy, but clothlike seats are so much more comfortable. As a side note I don't ride competitively (at the moment) only recreationally or for areas in a close vicinity.

What do you think?

Saddles on old American-style bikes (we now call them cruisers) were wide and springy to accommodate a casual riding position. In my experience, the shape and flexibility of the saddle has a lot more to do with how comfortable it is than the material it's covered with. If yours is worn out and tatty, I suggest getting something similar.

Electra is a company that produces very nice cruisers and accessories for them. Personally, I'm not into cruisers, but if I were, this is where I'd start looking. Find an Electra dealer in your area, or use their online catalog (electrabike.com). Of visit any local shop and see what they have or can order from other suppliers.

I think that the saddle is very important and there is a wide offer. So if you don't feel comfortable with your, why not try others and ask advice in the shop, say how you feel and an adequate one would be shown to you.

A hard day in the saddle is often just that, given that a poorly designed bike seat causes numbness and sore spots over the course of a ride. Our saddles, however, provide outstanding comfort and support, all while helping to increase blood flow and to relieve soft tissue pressure. Need help finding the right saddle for you.
Comfort is king with these saddles, ensuring you're having a great ride time after time. Recreation saddles are typically more padded than our more aggressive position, low profile options, and are ideally suited for more casual riding.

just change the damn thing. It would be hard to find the original style cushion though. You just have to compromise.

That's what I did when I got my new bike years ago. I was happy with the bike, but the seat simple didn't felt comfortable, so I changed it. It's something cheap and fast to do.

I don't race bikes or cycle for fitness so I prefer a big plush seat with springs. In a past life I would BMX race and mountain bike which called for a more streamlined hard seat. Now that I am more of a beach cruiser, the bigger, heavier and more comfortable seat is the best for me.

Definitely get a new seat! I tried several seats on my bike and none of them felt right. I finally went to my favorite bike shop and they showed me how to adjust it properly and that solved my problem. I thought putting the front down a little would be more comfortable, but for a woman, lifting the front up just a bit did the trick. I would have never figured that out myself!!

It's something cheap that makes a big difference so yes, I am for changing some things that are not that expensive, but definitely improve our experience.