jp(dot)curley(at)ntlworld(dot)com

"Chickenbomb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> can anyolne reccomend any means of tagging your bike
>
> just had my bike stolen from outside and it wasnt tagged
>
> any help be appreciated

A huge lock and vigilance is the best bike insurance you can get. If you need the tag, you've
already lost. But there is a thingy called Datatag (google should bring it up) if you must.

Andy Chequer

On Sat, 17 May 2003 14:18:30 +0100, Chickenbomb did issue forth:

>
>

There's a couple of options available to you.

Visible marking is the cheapest option, and your local cop shop will often do this for free, using a
set of punches to hammer your postcode into your bottom bracket shell alongside the frame number.

More expensive, but harder for the thief to get rid of is some sort of invisible marking. My last
bike (and some of the components on my current steed) are marked using Alphadot, a system which uses
small dots with serial numbers embedded in a clear resin which the Police can read using some sort
of black magic technique.

Finally, there's the tagging options. My current frame is fitted with a Datatag (which I managed to
pick up for a tenner, but I think they usually retail for around £30) which fits inside the
seattube, and is supposedly impossible to extract.

Of course, all these three methods rely on the bike being recovered. I've had mine stolen before,
and other people I've spoken to who've had their bikes stolen have never seen them again, so tagging
is a bit like going for a ride mid-November and hoping for nice weather.

You really should invest in a very good lock. Cable locks are rubbish, and should only be used in
conjuction with a good D-lock to stop your front wheel going walkies. Put the D-lock through your
rear wheel and seatstays and around something sturdy. Try to fill as much of the lock as possible
with the frame so that it's harder to pry open.

Of course, what you should be doing is leaving the bike in the house with you. After all, it's a
part of the family. It needs to feel warm and loved, and it needs to be able to see the telly.

--
Huw "Bike thieves - Bastards!" Pritchard

Chickenbomb wrote:

Local police station (The Constabulary) Usually offers a "registration" service where they record
the serail # place a special highly adhesive sticker on it. Also most howm-owners insurance policies
waive the deductible should it be stolen and registered.

my condolences

Try carrying one of these: http://www.shavings.net/images/S&W/S-W_40cal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.