bike security

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chickenbomb, May 17, 2003.

  1. Chickenbomb

    Chickenbomb Guest

    can anyolne reccomend any means of tagging your bike

    just had my bike stolen from outside and it wasnt tagged

    any help be appreciated

    thanks

    john

    jp(dot)curley(at)ntlworld(dot)com

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Chickenbomb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > can anyolne reccomend any means of tagging your bike
    >
    > just had my bike stolen from outside and it wasnt tagged
    >
    > any help be appreciated

    A huge lock and vigilance is the best bike insurance you can get. If you need the tag, you've
    already lost. But there is a thingy called Datatag (google should bring it up) if you must.

    Andy Chequer

  3. On Sat, 17 May 2003 14:18:30 +0100, Chickenbomb did issue forth:

    > can anyolne reccomend any means of tagging your bike
    >
    > just had my bike stolen from outside and it wasnt tagged
    >
    > any help be appreciated

    There's a couple of options available to you.

    Visible marking is the cheapest option, and your local cop shop will often do this for free, using a
    set of punches to hammer your postcode into your bottom bracket shell alongside the frame number.

    More expensive, but harder for the thief to get rid of is some sort of invisible marking. My last
    bike (and some of the components on my current steed) are marked using Alphadot, a system which uses
    small dots with serial numbers embedded in a clear resin which the Police can read using some sort
    of black magic technique.

    Finally, there's the tagging options. My current frame is fitted with a Datatag (which I managed to
    pick up for a tenner, but I think they usually retail for around £30) which fits inside the
    seattube, and is supposedly impossible to extract.

    Of course, all these three methods rely on the bike being recovered. I've had mine stolen before,
    and other people I've spoken to who've had their bikes stolen have never seen them again, so tagging
    is a bit like going for a ride mid-November and hoping for nice weather.

    You really should invest in a very good lock. Cable locks are rubbish, and should only be used in
    conjuction with a good D-lock to stop your front wheel going walkies. Put the D-lock through your
    rear wheel and seatstays and around something sturdy. Try to fill as much of the lock as possible
    with the frame so that it's harder to pry open.

    Of course, what you should be doing is leaving the bike in the house with you. After all, it's a
    part of the family. It needs to feel warm and loved, and it needs to be able to see the telly.

    --
    Huw "Bike thieves - Bastards!" Pritchard

  4. Chickenbomb wrote:
    > can anyolne reccomend any means of tagging your bike

    Local police station (The Constabulary) Usually offers a "registration" service where they record
    the serail # place a special highly adhesive sticker on it. Also most howm-owners insurance policies
    waive the deductible should it be stolen and registered.

    > just had my bike stolen from outside and it wasnt tagged

    my condolences

    Try carrying one of these: http://www.shavings.net/images/S&W/S-W_40cal.jpg