Bike Service - Justified?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Caher, May 22, 2003.

  1. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Hi all,
    I’ve had my bike for a couple of years now and think its time it had a service. I regularly do checks (such as brakes, etc) but not being a professional I worry that I might miss something.
    I’m shortly going to do quote a long charity ride (Ridgeway) and was wondering if there was a real cost benefit I getting a service. Also my local bike shop seems to offer everything from a complete strip down to brake tightening, so I’m pretty mystified what level to go for.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Cheers
    Caher.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Caher <[email protected]> typed:
    > Hi all, I've had my bike for a couple of years now and think its time it had a service. I
    > regularly do checks (such as brakes, etc) but not being a professional I worry that I might miss
    > something. I'm shortly going to do quote a long charity ride (Ridgeway) and was wondering if there
    > was a real cost benefit I getting a service. Also my local bike shop seems to offer everything
    > from a complete strip down to brake tightening, so I'm pretty mystified what level to go for. Any
    > advice would be gratefully received. Cheers Caher.

    After two years it could probably do with a bit of a strip down e.g regreasing wheel bearings etc.
    That will tend to be quite expensive though. For now its probably the quickest way but for the
    future get yourself a good maintainance guide and do it yourself. Done a bit at a time rather than
    in one big go is much less onerous.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], Caher <[email protected]> typed:
    > > Hi all, I've had my bike for a couple of years now and think its time it had a service. I
    > > regularly do checks (such as brakes, etc) but not being a professional I worry that I might miss
    > > something. I'm shortly going to do quote a long charity ride (Ridgeway) and was wondering if
    > > there was a real cost benefit I getting a service. Also my local bike shop seems to offer
    > > everything from a complete strip down to brake tightening, so I'm pretty mystified what level to
    > > go for. Any advice would be gratefully received. Cheers Caher.
    > >

    > After two years it could probably do with a bit of a strip down e.g regreasing wheel bearings etc.
    > That will tend to be quite expensive
    though.
    > For now its probably the quickest way but for the future get yourself a
    good
    > maintainance guide and do it yourself. Done a bit at a time rather than
    in
    > one big go is much less onerous.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
    > Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

    Also, just as an afterthought, just having the bike for 2 years doesn't necessarily warrant a
    service. However, if you've been riding it significant mileage during that time, then it probably
    does ;-) Sorry, Dave.

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Caher wrote:
    > Hi all, I've had my bike for a couple of years now and think its time it had a service. I
    > regularly do checks (such as brakes, etc) but not being a professional I worry that I might miss
    > something. I'm shortly going to do quote a long charity ride (Ridgeway) and was wondering if there
    > was a real cost benefit I getting a service. Also my local bike shop seems to offer everything
    > from a complete strip down to brake tightening, so I'm pretty mystified what level to go for. Any
    > advice would be gratefully received. Cheers Caher.

    By now, bike could probably do with its bearings regreased and possibly new cables, so cost of
    service could be justified. But these jobs are unlikely to be needed urgently, and even bearings in
    poor condition usually continue working for hundreds of miles+ (I write from experience: BB and hub
    bearings in hack bike were appaling!).

    Depends how much you trust the shop but there is a chance they could make it worse by poor assembly
    or adjustment. If bike has survived ok this far, it'll almost certainly be ok on the charity ride.
    Take along a decent puncture & mini tool kit anyway.

    Check each cable for corrosion or fraying at the points where it anchors to brake/derailleur and
    nipple in lever/shifter if possible.

    Check tyres have no bad cuts or holes, etc and wheels are running reasonably true, with no loose
    spokes. Make sure all bolts are tight (but don't use a crazy amount of force testing/tightening).
    (On non-suspension fork bike) Test headset by applying front brake and rocking bike back and forth -
    should be no play.

    ~PB

  5. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 22 May 2003 20:30:25 +0950, Caher <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all, I’ve had my bike for a couple of years now and think its time it had a service. I regularly
    >do checks (such as brakes, etc) but not being a professional I worry that I might miss something.
    >I’m shortly going to do quote a long charity ride (Ridgeway) and was wondering if there was a real
    >cost benefit I getting a service. Also my local bike shop seems to offer everything from a complete
    >strip down to brake tightening, so I’m pretty mystified what level to go for. Any advice would be
    >gratefully received.

    Hi Caher

    If you're anything like me - a no-hoper mechanic - then paying for a good tune up or full service is
    well worth the money.

    I do my best to keep myself well oiled - sorry, I make sure my bikes are kept reasonably clean and
    lubricated (another bad choice of word)
    - but reasonably often I know that I'm incapable of getting my bikes back into tip-top condition. At
    these times I take them into my LBS.

    It's money well spent, IMO. Of course, if you're capable of servicing your own bike(s) then you
    certainly will save money by servicing yourself.

    James

  6. In message <[email protected]>, Caher <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi all, I’ve had my bike for a couple of years now and think its time it had a service. I
    >regularly do checks (such as brakes, etc) but not being a professional I worry that I might miss
    >something. I’m shortly going to do quote a long charity ride (Ridgeway) and was wondering if
    >there was a real cost benefit I getting a service. Also my local bike shop seems to offer
    >everything from a complete strip down to brake tightening, so I’m pretty mystified what level to
    >go for. Any advice would be gratefully received. Cheers Caher.

    Why not take it into your LBS and ask them? Any good shop mechanic should be willing to cast his eye
    across the bike on the spot and suggest what needs doing, and what would be helpful, but not
    necessary. Listen to their view, then make your own mind up. Get them to scribble down their
    recommendations, then you can post them here if you want our view, or if you're not completely
    satisfied with their quote, try somewhere else too.

    IMHO, (as a cycle mechanic :) ) it'd be worth just having the bike checked if you're not confident,
    just to make sure your charity ride goes without a hitch, whether this be by a shop, yourself and a
    technical manual, or a friend with more experience. Again, if you've got any questions about how a
    certain part works or how to adjust it, ask your LBS. If they can't help you then I'd look
    elsewhere.*

    * Ten minutes before they close and a packed is probably not the best time to do this..... :)

    --
    Thomas Letherby Remove NOSPAM to reply.