Bike servicing

mac1

Dec 18, 2007
HI All.

First Post. I used to cycle 40k per day but the Bikes (Giant ATX 860) been in the shed for 5 years, since having kids. Got it out today but the gears dont change and the shifters are all over the place. Cannot afford to send it for a service and would like to learn to do it myself. I downloaded a few sheets from shimano on the FD M510 and RD M510 but after messing around am worse off. Where do I Start??

Mac1
:confused:

mac1 said:
HI All.

First Post. I used to cycle 40k per day but the Bikes (Giant ATX 860) been in the shed for 5 years, since having kids. Got it out today but the gears dont change and the shifters are all over the place. Cannot afford to send it for a service and would like to learn to do it myself. I downloaded a few sheets from shimano on the FD M510 and RD M510 but after messing around am worse off. Where do I Start??

Mac1
:confused:

Take loose the cable that is anchored at the derailer and back off the housing at the shifter. Pull sufficient housing away from the shifter to grab on the cable itself, just a short distance from the shifter. Shift the shifter through it's range while holding tension on the cable. How does it feel? Does it seem like you can detect indexing? If so, is the action "smooth", repeatable, and seems like the increment of cable per click is the same? If so, the shifter is OK. If not, it may be time for shifter replacement.
I suggest new cables and new housings installed as "Sogood" suggested in the Park Tool Repair site.