Bike shed and locking up bikes query

Halloween Jack

Apr 27, 2011
Hi folks.

My wife, 6 year old, and I all have bikes but not much room to keep them. I was wondering if I could put a shed in the front garnden and a bar or something sunk into concrete to lock them to.

I have searched on the net but haven't found any such products, they probably have some name I don't know.

I guess it would have to go into the ground as we are in a terrace house and there are windows accross the front.

Money is also a concern, I can't afforn to spend too much. Perhaps a chain with a comunal chain might be a better option. They're worth a combined £400 so not too much to protect, but I would like to keep them dry, safe and out of the house.

Any suggestions on a good set-up? I live in UK by the way if anyone has any particular products they could suggest.

The best (and cheapest) security you can provide for your bikes would be to restrict access and visibility. Usually if you can see it, you can steal it. If the bikes are in the front garden in a shed then potential theives will know very quickly where you keep them. If I were you, I'd be putting the shed at the back of the house, out of sight and out of mind.

Locking up a bike with a chain or cable is next to worthless compared to limiting visibility and access. All this does is buy you an extra couple of minutes. If you have no solid water pipes etc to chain them to then the cheapest method is to use an eyelet bolted to an existing concrete slab. No idea what it's called in the UK but in Australia it is known as a dynabolt, rock-bolt or masonry-bolt. The only better option than that is to set a solid metal loop into a fresh concrete slab. But then if they can cut the chain or cable in minutes then it doesn't really matter what you chain them to.

My security consists of a brick garage. It has an electric roller door (which I have switched off), and two access doors which are kept deadlocked (cannot be opened from inside or outside without a key). The only way in is to physically break down one of the doors (eg with an ax). But I still think the best security is the fact that no-one can see my bikes (thanks to solid doors and frosted glass).

Great. Thanks for that. I was hoping to have the bikes in the front garden, so I wouldn't have to wheel them through the house, but I see your point.

I'll look in to it.

Thanks for your help.