Bike shoes and knee pain

Bob

Guest
I bought a new pair of Shimano shoes last August and I started to get slight knee pain. I put new
Sole pads and it made it worse. I use Look type road peddles. Today I took the new pads out and then
I adjusted the cleats forward about 3 or 4mm. and rode 29 mile and I have no knee pain. Could it be
the shoe? Should I go back to my old Nike shoes?

Bob

Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
: I bought a new pair of Shimano shoes last August and I started to get slight knee pain. I put new
: Sole pads and it made it worse. I use Look type road peddles. Today I took the new pads out and
: then I adjusted the cleats forward about 3 or 4mm. and rode 29 mile and I have no knee pain. Could
: it be the shoe? Should I go back to my old Nike shoes?

This is a can of worms! Some people have found relief from making various adjustments to the cleats,
etc. Since the shoe really only holds your foot in a position I'd rule it out as being the problem.

I had a similar problem but narrowed it down to loading my knee unreasonably, ie, too much work all
of a sudden. After a season of regular rides it's no longer a problem and I haven't agonised about
or obsessed over the cleat position.

Cheerz, Lynzz

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> I bought a new pair of Shimano shoes last August and I started to get slight knee pain. I put new
> Sole pads and it made it worse. I use Look type road peddles. Today I took the new pads out and
> then I adjusted the cleats forward about 3 or 4mm. and rode 29 mile and I have no knee pain. Could
> it be the shoe?

More likely it is poor cleat adjustment. Even small adjustments to cleat angle and position can make
a big difference in comfort. This is especially true if your pedal does not have built-in rotational
and lateral float.

It is only the cleat adjustment. Been there. Hope you are ok now.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
>I bought a new pair of Shimano shoes last August and I started to get slight knee pain. I put new
>Sole pads and it made it worse. I use Look type road peddles. Today I took the new pads out and
>then I adjusted the cleats forward about 3 or 4mm. and rode 29 mile and I have no knee pain. Could
>it be the shoe? Should I go back to my old Nike shoes?

More likely than not, you didn't set up the cleats properly.