Bike shoes and knee pain

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I bought a new pair of Shimano shoes last August and I started to get slight knee pain. I put new
    Sole pads and it made it worse. I use Look type road peddles. Today I took the new pads out and then
    I adjusted the cleats forward about 3 or 4mm. and rode 29 mile and I have no knee pain. Could it be
    the shoe? Should I go back to my old Nike shoes?

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I bought a new pair of Shimano shoes last August and I started to get slight knee pain. I put new
    : Sole pads and it made it worse. I use Look type road peddles. Today I took the new pads out and
    : then I adjusted the cleats forward about 3 or 4mm. and rode 29 mile and I have no knee pain. Could
    : it be the shoe? Should I go back to my old Nike shoes?

    This is a can of worms! Some people have found relief from making various adjustments to the cleats,
    etc. Since the shoe really only holds your foot in a position I'd rule it out as being the problem.

    I had a similar problem but narrowed it down to loading my knee unreasonably, ie, too much work all
    of a sudden. After a season of regular rides it's no longer a problem and I haven't agonised about
    or obsessed over the cleat position.

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I bought a new pair of Shimano shoes last August and I started to get slight knee pain. I put new
    > Sole pads and it made it worse. I use Look type road peddles. Today I took the new pads out and
    > then I adjusted the cleats forward about 3 or 4mm. and rode 29 mile and I have no knee pain. Could
    > it be the shoe?

    More likely it is poor cleat adjustment. Even small adjustments to cleat angle and position can make
    a big difference in comfort. This is especially true if your pedal does not have built-in rotational
    and lateral float.

  4. Rix

    Rix Guest

    It is only the cleat adjustment. Been there. Hope you are ok now.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    >I bought a new pair of Shimano shoes last August and I started to get slight knee pain. I put new
    >Sole pads and it made it worse. I use Look type road peddles. Today I took the new pads out and
    >then I adjusted the cleats forward about 3 or 4mm. and rode 29 mile and I have no knee pain. Could
    >it be the shoe? Should I go back to my old Nike shoes?

    More likely than not, you didn't set up the cleats properly.