bike shop bikes vs. retail store bikes....

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by finlander, Apr 1, 2007.

1. finlander

finlander New Member

Two bike stores I have been in say those retail stores sell by price point. The retail store bikes are inferior. Is it in the materials used or the way the bikes are assembled? or is he feeding me a line.......they are selling the same but with a bigger markup??? I understand that there are some bike brands that are not available in retail stores. Schwinn is one however and my wife is seriously looking at getting one this week. I am holding out for a Trek. Thanks.

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Typically retail stores do not carry bicycles of the same quality as a bicycle shop. The materials, tubing, and components are usually not as high quality as you will find in a reputable bicycle shop. Beyond that, your bicycle shop employees are experts in bicycles whereas the person helping you at the retail store has too many products to be an expert in any one of them.

The biggest reason to shop at a bike shop is to make sure that you get the right size bicycle. The retail stores usually figure one size fits all. Too many people buy bicycles every year that are not sized correctly, and lose interest in the sport because they are uncomfortable on the bike. Nobody wants to ride a bicycle that is uncomfortable, but a correctly sized bicycle is usually very comfortable to ride. If a bike shop does not have a bicycle that is the right size for you, they can order one that is correct. Most retail stores cannot do this.

Additionally, a bicycle shop can "customize" a bicycle for you by sustituting different components for you than those that are on the bicycle when you see it in the store. Most retail stores either cannot or will not do this.

I recommend that you make your purchases at a good bike shop. And no, I am not a bike shop owner, I am an Insurance Agent, but I have been riding actively for 35 years and have owned bicycles from retail stores and bicycle shops. I will never own a retail store bicycle again.

3. Punisher92009

Punisher92009 New Member

+1 to what Kdelong said.

Additionally, I would never go into WallyWorld (Wal-Mart) and buy a weapon. Same token as for bicycles. I go to those who are in the know day in and day out. Not to knock retail stores, but for a specialty item, go to someone who is in the industry and who has a passion for it, not someone who is just watching the clock turn on an hourly gig to make a few bucks.

~A