Bike Shop in Edinburgh

Bob Cooper

Guest
Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
Edinburgh, Scotland.

Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob Cooper

Bob Cooper wrote:
> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
> Edinburgh, Scotland.
>
> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Bob Cooper

This place
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
has never let me down and it seems to get a lot of recomendations in
here.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

TRy Velo Ecosse as well - about 500 yda from the EBC.
Cheers
Colin
news:[email protected]...

Bob Cooper wrote:
> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
> Edinburgh, Scotland.
>
> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Bob Cooper

Are you kidding?
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
Is the Local bike shop where I bought my bike, although it took me a 700
mile round trip and a week's family holiday to get it. I don't live in
Edinburgh, see, and I took a test ride while on hol in the area, and came
home with a new bike. V pleased with it.
--

Martin Bulmer

soup wrote:
> Bob Cooper wrote:
>> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
>> Edinburgh, Scotland.
>>
>> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Bob Cooper

> This place
> http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
> has never let me down and it seems to get a lot of
> recomendations in here.

I got a full service from them last year. No problems.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Colin Anderson wrote:
> TRy Velo Ecosse as well - about 500 yda from the EBC.

Personally I didn't rate them, when I went in looking to buy a new
commuting bike, they tried to sell me a cheap & cheerful mountain bike.

> "soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

Good grief "soup", we must stop meeting like this!

>>Bob Cooper wrote:
>>
>>>Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
>>>Edinburgh, Scotland.
>>>
>>>Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.

As well as the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op, you could try Alpine Bikes in
Hamilton Place, or the Bicycle Repair Man on Newington Road. I have also
found B G Cycles & Blades on Portobello High Street to be OK. It all
depends where in or around town you live. Get hold of a SPOKES Edinburgh
City Cycle Map, which will give the locations of most (if not all)
shops, or take a look at http://www.city-visitor.com/edinburgh/cycling.html

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Discordianism: Where reality is a figment of your imagination

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:23:16 +0000, the.Mark wrote:

> soup wrote:
>> Bob Cooper wrote:
>>> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
>>> Edinburgh, Scotland.
>>>
>>> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Bob Cooper

>> This place
>> http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
>> has never let me down and it seems to get a lot of
>> recomendations in here.

> I got a full service from them last year. No problems.

Well, I recommend it and I'm on the other side of the world!

"Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob Cooper wrote:
>> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
>> Edinburgh, Scotland.
>>
>> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Bob Cooper

> Are you kidding?
> http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
> Is the Local bike shop where I bought my bike, although it took me a 700
> mile round trip and a week's family holiday to get it. I don't live in
> Edinburgh, see, and I took a test ride while on hol in the area, and came
> home with a new bike. V pleased with it.
> --
>

> Martin Bulmer

Even the little ones are good: Sandy Gilchrist at Abbeyhill is always
helpful; and the one in Portobello High Street is fine too: neither of these
try to sell you high end stuff when MOR will do. But if I want to wallow in
bikery I go to EBC.

Don Whybrow wrote:
> Good grief "soup", we must stop meeting like this!

Have you still given up Don?
/me looks for halo.

One year, ten months, four weeks, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 6 seconds.
6992 cigarettes not smoked, saving £1,706.24.
Life saved: 3 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes.
--

Geoff Pearson wrote:

> Even the little ones are good: Sandy Gilchrist at Abbeyhill is
> always helpful; and the one in Portobello High Street is fine
> too: neither of these try to sell you high end stuff when MOR
> will do. But if I want to wallow in bikery I go to EBC.

I would add Freewheelin to that list of little shops. They are on
Slateford Road. I bought my oldest sons first bike from them and had a
bottom bracket replaced by them.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Bob Cooper wrote:
> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
> Edinburgh, Scotland.
>
> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.

I'm very fond of Bike Trax in Tollcross (not a million miles away from
Edinburgh Bicycle). They carry a fair few things that Edinburgh Bicycle
don't, (e.g. dynamoes, and other hardcore sturmeyesque esoterica), and have
the advantage that it's the same people doing the sales and the servicing.
Also, I think their variety of midrange bikes is at least as good as EBC's.

But, yeah, the Co-op is very good. It was dangerous when I was living on the
same block.
--
Ambrose

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative (aka 'the Co-op'). Best bike shop in
> Britain, bar none.

Can't buy Streetmachines, Bromptons or 8 Freights there though,
which is why I for one prefer Kinetics... But having said that,
EBC used to be my LBS, I've had two of their bikes and they looked
after me and them very well.

Also had good experience at Biketrax, and friends have been happy
at Velo Ecosse.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Don Whybrow wrote:
> As well as the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op, you could try Alpine Bikes in
> Hamilton Place, or the Bicycle Repair Man on Newington Road.

Bicycle Worx in Argyle Place is another possibility. I would personally
avoid The Bicycle Repair Man as at least one member of staff is either
clueless / fundamentally dishonest. I'll give him the benefit of the
doubt and assume the former. For the record, chain length is not
arbitrary and varies from bike to bike in accordance with gears and
chainstay length. This seemingly simple point of bike repair appeared
to be lost on him as he fitted a chain suitable for a 3x9 setup to my
old 2x7. Oddly enough it was a little loose and prevented some gears
from being used.

Bicycle Worx I had good experience with and EBC I would always support
although their shop staff can be hit and miss. However I generally
serviced my own bikes so can't fairly comment on the quality of
service.

Jon

THe Bicyle Works certainly is worth trying. Serviced a few of my bikes
and generally pretty good - quite often been able to put bike in first
thing and collect later. Bike co-op often seems to take 3 days.

David

soup wrote:

> Have you still given up Don?

Sure have!

> /me looks for halo.
>
> One year, ten months, four weeks, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 6 seconds.
> 6992 cigarettes not smoked, saving £1,706.24.
> Life saved: 3 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes.

Looking good! I have just hit 11M : £840.89 : 3370C

It looks like my new bike has been paid for.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Are you still here? The message is over. Shoo! Go away!

soup wrote:

> http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
> has never let me down and it seems to get a lot of recomendations in
> here.

Although I've been a customer of the EBC for a long time and will likely
carry on for their range of clothing, I'm going to go out on a limb here and
say that I don't rate their workshop much anymore. It's not so much their
ability, which I think is commendable, but their attitude. As with Jon S, I
do almost all of my own servicing and on the occasions I've been to the
workshop for advice I have rarely experienced a more patronising response.
Maybe they don't get many women in who are actually quite happy building
their own wheels and the like. But, for a full, 'just drop the bike off
with us and we'll do the rest' service, they're probably one of the most
streamlined outfits.

Not sure about Velo Ecosse, as they appear to have run out of rims and
resorted to using the "o"s from the shop frontage. The Bicycle Works
perhaps has the most workshoppy theme; I knew Andrew Davies from EBC days
and he knows how to mend a bike or two, but I've never needed a bike
servicing there so I can't really comment.

Becky

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob Cooper wrote:
>> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
>> Edinburgh, Scotland.
>>
>> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.

> I'm very fond of Bike Trax in Tollcross (not a million miles away from
> Edinburgh Bicycle). They carry a fair few things that Edinburgh Bicycle
> don't, (e.g. dynamoes, and other hardcore sturmeyesque esoterica), and
> have the advantage that it's the same people doing the sales and the
> servicing. Also, I think their variety of midrange bikes is at least as
> good as EBC's.
>
> But, yeah, the Co-op is very good. It was dangerous when I was living on
> the same block.
> --
> Ambrose

It seems to be a regular event this - talking about bike shops in
Edinburgh - do they talk about bike shops elsewhere: Lincoln, Warrington,
Exeter, taking 3 at random?

Geoff Pearson wrote:

> It seems to be a regular event this - talking about bike shops in
> Edinburgh - do they talk about bike shops elsewhere: Lincoln, Warrington,
> Exeter, taking 3 at random?

But, didn't you know? Edinburgh was Velo-city in 2001. ;-}

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Freedom defined is freedom denied. (Illuminatus)