Bike Shop in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Cooper, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Bob Cooper

    Bob Cooper Guest

    Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    Edinburgh, Scotland.

    Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.

    Thanks, Bob Cooper

    Tags:

  2. soup

    soup Guest

    Bob Cooper wrote:
    > Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    > Edinburgh, Scotland.
    >
    > Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Bob Cooper

    This place
    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
    has never let me down and it seems to get a lot of recomendations in
    here.
    --
    This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
    hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

  3. TRy Velo Ecosse as well - about 500 yda from the EBC.
    Cheers
    Colin
    news:[email protected]

  4. Bob Cooper wrote:
    > Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    > Edinburgh, Scotland.
    >
    > Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Bob Cooper

    Are you kidding?
    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
    Is the Local bike shop where I bought my bike, although it took me a 700
    mile round trip and a week's family holiday to get it. I don't live in
    Edinburgh, see, and I took a test ride while on hol in the area, and came
    home with a new bike. V pleased with it.
    --

    Martin Bulmer

  5. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    soup wrote:
    > Bob Cooper wrote:
    >> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    >> Edinburgh, Scotland.
    >>
    >> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Bob Cooper

    > This place
    > http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
    > has never let me down and it seems to get a lot of
    > recomendations in here.

    I got a full service from them last year. No problems.
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

  6. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    Colin Anderson wrote:
    > TRy Velo Ecosse as well - about 500 yda from the EBC.

    Personally I didn't rate them, when I went in looking to buy a new
    commuting bike, they tried to sell me a cheap & cheerful mountain bike.

    > "soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    Good grief "soup", we must stop meeting like this!

    >>Bob Cooper wrote:
    >>
    >>>Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    >>>Edinburgh, Scotland.
    >>>
    >>>Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.

    As well as the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op, you could try Alpine Bikes in
    Hamilton Place, or the Bicycle Repair Man on Newington Road. I have also
    found B G Cycles & Blades on Portobello High Street to be OK. It all
    depends where in or around town you live. Get hold of a SPOKES Edinburgh
    City Cycle Map, which will give the locations of most (if not all)
    shops, or take a look at http://www.city-visitor.com/edinburgh/cycling.html

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    Discordianism: Where reality is a figment of your imagination

  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:23:16 +0000, the.Mark wrote:

    > soup wrote:
    >> Bob Cooper wrote:
    >>> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    >>> Edinburgh, Scotland.
    >>>
    >>> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Bob Cooper

    >> This place
    >> http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
    >> has never let me down and it seems to get a lot of
    >> recomendations in here.

    > I got a full service from them last year. No problems.

    Well, I recommend it and I'm on the other side of the world!

  8. "Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bob Cooper wrote:
    >> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    >> Edinburgh, Scotland.
    >>
    >> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Bob Cooper

    > Are you kidding?
    > http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
    > Is the Local bike shop where I bought my bike, although it took me a 700
    > mile round trip and a week's family holiday to get it. I don't live in
    > Edinburgh, see, and I took a test ride while on hol in the area, and came
    > home with a new bike. V pleased with it.
    > --
    >

    > Martin Bulmer

    Even the little ones are good: Sandy Gilchrist at Abbeyhill is always
    helpful; and the one in Portobello High Street is fine too: neither of these
    try to sell you high end stuff when MOR will do. But if I want to wallow in
    bikery I go to EBC.

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  10. soup

    soup Guest

    Don Whybrow wrote:
    > Good grief "soup", we must stop meeting like this!

    Have you still given up Don?
    /me looks for halo.

    One year, ten months, four weeks, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 6 seconds.
    6992 cigarettes not smoked, saving £1,706.24.
    Life saved: 3 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes.
    --
    This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
    hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
    may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

  11. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > Even the little ones are good: Sandy Gilchrist at Abbeyhill is
    > always helpful; and the one in Portobello High Street is fine
    > too: neither of these try to sell you high end stuff when MOR
    > will do. But if I want to wallow in bikery I go to EBC.

    I would add Freewheelin to that list of little shops. They are on
    Slateford Road. I bought my oldest sons first bike from them and had a
    bottom bracket replaced by them.
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

  12. Bob Cooper wrote:
    > Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    > Edinburgh, Scotland.
    >
    > Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.

    I'm very fond of Bike Trax in Tollcross (not a million miles away from
    Edinburgh Bicycle). They carry a fair few things that Edinburgh Bicycle
    don't, (e.g. dynamoes, and other hardcore sturmeyesque esoterica), and have
    the advantage that it's the same people doing the sales and the servicing.
    Also, I think their variety of midrange bikes is at least as good as EBC's.

    But, yeah, the Co-op is very good. It was dangerous when I was living on the
    same block.
    --
    Ambrose

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative (aka 'the Co-op'). Best bike shop in
    > Britain, bar none.

    Can't buy Streetmachines, Bromptons or 8 Freights there though,
    which is why I for one prefer Kinetics... But having said that,
    EBC used to be my LBS, I've had two of their bikes and they looked
    after me and them very well.

    Also had good experience at Biketrax, and friends have been happy
    at Velo Ecosse.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  14. Jon is Away!

    Jon is Away! Guest

    Don Whybrow wrote:
    > As well as the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op, you could try Alpine Bikes in
    > Hamilton Place, or the Bicycle Repair Man on Newington Road.

    Bicycle Worx in Argyle Place is another possibility. I would personally
    avoid The Bicycle Repair Man as at least one member of staff is either
    clueless / fundamentally dishonest. I'll give him the benefit of the
    doubt and assume the former. For the record, chain length is not
    arbitrary and varies from bike to bike in accordance with gears and
    chainstay length. This seemingly simple point of bike repair appeared
    to be lost on him as he fitted a chain suitable for a 3x9 setup to my
    old 2x7. Oddly enough it was a little loose and prevented some gears
    from being used.

    Bicycle Worx I had good experience with and EBC I would always support
    although their shop staff can be hit and miss. However I generally
    serviced my own bikes so can't fairly comment on the quality of
    service.

    Jon

  15. LaidBack

    LaidBack Guest

    THe Bicyle Works certainly is worth trying. Serviced a few of my bikes
    and generally pretty good - quite often been able to put bike in first
    thing and collect later. Bike co-op often seems to take 3 days.

    David

  16. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    soup wrote:

    > Have you still given up Don?

    Sure have!

    > /me looks for halo.
    >
    > One year, ten months, four weeks, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 6 seconds.
    > 6992 cigarettes not smoked, saving £1,706.24.
    > Life saved: 3 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes.

    Looking good! I have just hit 11M : £840.89 : 3370C

    It looks like my new bike has been paid for.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    Are you still here? The message is over. Shoo! Go away!

  17. Arellcat

    Arellcat Guest

    soup wrote:

    > http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/
    > has never let me down and it seems to get a lot of recomendations in
    > here.

    Although I've been a customer of the EBC for a long time and will likely
    carry on for their range of clothing, I'm going to go out on a limb here and
    say that I don't rate their workshop much anymore. It's not so much their
    ability, which I think is commendable, but their attitude. As with Jon S, I
    do almost all of my own servicing and on the occasions I've been to the
    workshop for advice I have rarely experienced a more patronising response.
    Maybe they don't get many women in who are actually quite happy building
    their own wheels and the like. But, for a full, 'just drop the bike off
    with us and we'll do the rest' service, they're probably one of the most
    streamlined outfits.

    Not sure about Velo Ecosse, as they appear to have run out of rims and
    resorted to using the "o"s from the shop frontage. The Bicycle Works
    perhaps has the most workshoppy theme; I knew Andrew Davies from EBC days
    and he knows how to mend a bike or two, but I've never needed a bike
    servicing there so I can't really comment.

    Becky

  18. "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bob Cooper wrote:
    >> Seeking advice: Looking for a good, full-service bike shop in
    >> Edinburgh, Scotland.
    >>
    >> Any opinion of the locals would be much appreciated.

    > I'm very fond of Bike Trax in Tollcross (not a million miles away from
    > Edinburgh Bicycle). They carry a fair few things that Edinburgh Bicycle
    > don't, (e.g. dynamoes, and other hardcore sturmeyesque esoterica), and
    > have the advantage that it's the same people doing the sales and the
    > servicing. Also, I think their variety of midrange bikes is at least as
    > good as EBC's.
    >
    > But, yeah, the Co-op is very good. It was dangerous when I was living on
    > the same block.
    > --
    > Ambrose

    It seems to be a regular event this - talking about bike shops in
    Edinburgh - do they talk about bike shops elsewhere: Lincoln, Warrington,
    Exeter, taking 3 at random?

  19. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > It seems to be a regular event this - talking about bike shops in
    > Edinburgh - do they talk about bike shops elsewhere: Lincoln, Warrington,
    > Exeter, taking 3 at random?

    But, didn't you know? Edinburgh was Velo-city in 2001. ;-}

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    Freedom defined is freedom denied. (Illuminatus)