Bike shopping: Online versus High street

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Zardoz900, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Zardoz900

    Zardoz900 Guest

    Any impartial advice needed. I've persuaded my girlfriend to swap her £100 ATB for something more
    suitable (~£300+). I think she's more interested in colour than anything else and our local bike
    shop have only got silver.

    (& they pissed me off by selling me a £600 bike and taking no interest in my ongoing complaint of
    chain-suck)

    Z.

    Tags:

  2. Whilst I buy cycling accessories online, I'm not sure I'd want to buy a bike online. A bike I'd want
    to try first, or have on custom made by someone I trust
    - note if anyone is in or near Norwich - Steve at Specialized in Connaught Street is *highly*
    recommended for both building bike and for after sales service. He built Vernon's bike and made a
    lovely job of it + after sales on the bike and any accessories can't be faulted.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Zardoz900 wrote:
    > Any impartial advice needed. I've persuaded my girlfriend to swap her £100 ATB for something more
    > suitable (~£300+). I think she's more interested in colour than anything else and our local bike
    > shop have only got silver.
    >
    > (& they pissed me off by selling me a £600 bike and taking no interest in my ongoing complaint of
    > chain-suck)

    Can save money and get more choice but you have got to be /sure/ what size and shape is required.
    Any doubts, bike shop is best. Find a different shop!

    ~PB

  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    > Can save money and get more choice but you have got to be /sure/ what size and shape is required.
    > Any doubts, bike shop is best. Find a different shop!

    This has hacked me off recently. Every time I go to the LBS (several of them) I get the same
    old story of "we're getting a delivery next week, can I get you to buy something totally
    different instead?"

    I can't even buy any F'ing baggy shorts locally at the moment. It seems alien to them that I want to
    wear shorts at this time of year - even in Newcastle, and that I don't want to look like a lycra
    clad cyclist everywhere i go!!!

    I'm all in favour of supporting local trade but the internet wins nearly every time for price and
    availability - unfortunately.

    Steve

  5. Callas

    Callas Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > > Can save money and get more choice but you have got to be /sure/ what size and shape is
    > > required. Any doubts, bike shop is best. Find a different shop!

    > This has hacked me off recently. Every time I go to the LBS (several of them) I get the same old
    > story of "we're getting a delivery next week, can I get you to buy something totally different
    > instead?"

    lol

    So true. My LBS is like that. You can "place an order" with them, but unless you regularly phone
    them, it simply doesn't happen.

    Makes you wonder if they think they're in business or what?

    > I'm all in favour of supporting local trade

    I'm in favour of supporting the local bike *repair* shop, because they're vital. The LBS proper is
    to my mind the biking equivelent of Dixons for electronics - overpriced box shifters without a clue
    and no organisation.

    I've discussed this before, but I bought a thousand pound bike from the LBS - the guy did the
    following; stood me over the frame, and prounced it "about my size". In fact, it was a 55cm frame
    with a 73 degree seat tube angle, and the custom frame I had made last year is a 60cm frame, with a
    72 degree seat tube angle. The bike he sold me wasn't anywhere even *NEAR* my size. That kind of
    service isn't far from being ripped off, IMO, when a thousand pounds is involved.

    --
    Callas

  6. Zardoz

    Zardoz Guest

    At least the chap recognised me as a regular customer. And when I came out with the line about us
    'popping into a rival bike shop to see a competitively priced Univega, would he do me a discount
    for an instant sale?' he agreed to throw in £35 worth of helmet. You can't do that on-line. (Don't
    tell me...)