Bike Shopping

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Mark, Sep 19, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
    honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right bike
    and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the Boroondara
    area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like Giant
    are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. dave

    dave Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
    > honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right bike
    > and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the Boroondara
    > area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like Giant
    > are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)
    >
    > Thanks.

    Freedom Machine in Chapel St sold me my OCR zero (refer prev posts for
    raving...) Haven´t been back for service yet, but all presales very
    professional.
    Also, bought original hybrid from Ivanhoe Cycles - again, very
    professional and helpful. Kathy

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Here's a list:
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/pages/shops.htm

    (PS cone and join the BUG. get all the latest local goss... :D )

    TimC has had good experiences at GoldCross
    BikePRo are very competitive price-wise (altho different brands but value)
    (as is Lawrencia, especially GIANTs but reports on service are not high)
    Dean At BikeLife gives great service from all reports

    enjoy!

    let us know how you get on

    Flying"BoroondaraBUGmember"Dutch

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
    > honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right bike
    > and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the Boroondara
    > area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like Giant
    > are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)

    I'm a very happy customer of Cycle Science in Mitcham. I've bought
    6 bikes from them so far, and I keep going back. They're not
    a Giant dealer (but some may say that's a feature :) )

  5. Walrus

    Walrus New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2004
    I can vouch for Freedom Machine in Port Melbourne. I had good pre sales assistance, they did a great deal for me and have enjoyed 2 or 3 free services since I purchased (free 12 month servicing is pretty standard). Closer to your area, Lawrencia Cycles on Glenferrie (www.lawrenciacycles.com.au) seem pretty good. They're really boosting their range and would be convenient for you for servicing.

    If you're after a Giant, DO NOT go to CBD Cycles (top of Bourke St). I went there while I was looking for my bike and on 3 occasions had 3 different sales guys spin some absolute BS about the bikes I was looking at. Also, they categorically state that they won't budge on price, but get this...they will do you a good deal on aftermarket upgrades...whoopdeedoo! They also refused to let me test ride anything, unless I came there on a Saturday morning for half an hour...just too difficult.

    Considering you can get Gian'ts at almost any shop, you'll be able to get a great deal.

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    dont you have to be wearing speedos or a wetsuit to go there? :rolleyes:

    one of the few places to have a female mech tho :p

  7. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    No longer in Melbourne but looking at a Giant myself (see previous
    postings). I've heard that I should steer clear of the LBS that's selling
    it but it's the best price in town. I'll be going to another LBS for
    servicing. Something to consider.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
    > honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right bike
    > and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the

    Boroondara
    > area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like Giant
    > are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)
    >
    > Thanks.

  8. Claes

    Claes New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Mmm, but was not totally impressed with her. Had bike in for service, the headset was loose when I picked it up, told her, she tried to fix it, still loose,
    I told her how I do it, it worked. In the process she smeared black dirt all over my handlebar tape, which is red. He he. Before you get angry, it has NOTHING to do with her being a girl, only her skills I comment on.
    Also, I specifically asked to get my hubs serviced, when I picked it up she said it was not necessary since there was no play in them. Eh, I thought you wanted to service them to avoid play from wear and tear, so my wheels has not been regreased since new and the bike is one year now. Weird.

  9. AM

    AM Guest

    I have bought my last 3-4 roadies from Freedom Machine, and they always look
    after me very well on price... :)

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Walrus Wrote:
    > >
    > > If you're after a Giant, *DO NOT* go to CBD Cycles (top of Bourke St).
    > > I went there while I was looking for my bike and on 3 occasions had 3
    > > different sales guys spin some absolute BS about the bikes I was
    > > looking at. Also, they categorically state that they won't budge on
    > > price, but get this...they will do you a good deal on aftermarket
    > > upgrades...whoopdeedoo! They also refused to let me test ride
    > > anything, unless I came there on a Saturday morning for half an
    > > hour...just too difficult.
    > >
    > > Considering you can get Gian'ts at almost any shop, you'll be able to
    > > get a great deal.

    > dont you have to be wearing speedos or a wetsuit to go there?
    > :rolleyes:
    >
    > one of the few places to have a female mech tho :p
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

  10. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Bought my first bike from Freedom Machine in Chapel Street, but I dont think they are there anymore are they ?? or have they rebadged Spin Cycle ? Brother and I went to their store in Port Melbourne last weekend, and they had very good pre-sales and were happy for him to take any bike out for a ride.

    Went to Swim Bike Run, but cant say I was overly impressed with the guy we talked to... he had a lot to say... but not much that was helpful.... such a shame.

    I have enough trouble getting good service in CBD just buying accessories, Id never buy a bike from there. Ivanhoe cycles! sensational service from them, I felt really bad because they did not have the bike I ended up wanting to buy, but because he was so helpful, I almost ended up buying a different brand of bike!! Totally recommend them.

  11. dave

    dave Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:
    > Mark Wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all, I am looking at getting a new bike and need some suggestions on
    >>honest bike retailers that are more interested in giving me the right
    >>bike
    >>and size than trying to get my hard earned dollars. I live in the
    >>Boroondara
    >>area in Melbourne. Not sure what brand I am after but it seems like
    >>Giant
    >>are hard to beat in the 2K and under price range (OCR1/TCR2)
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > Bought my first bike from Freedom Machine in Chapel Street, but I dont
    > think they are there anymore are they ?? or have they rebadged Spin
    > Cycle ? Brother and I went to their store in Port Melbourne last
    > weekend, and they had very good pre-sales and were happy for him to
    > take any bike out for a ride.
    >
    > Went to Swim Bike Run, but cant say I was overly impressed with the guy
    > we talked to... he had a lot to say... but not much that was helpful....
    > such a shame.
    >
    > I have enough trouble getting good service in CBD just buying
    > accessories, Id never buy a bike from there. Ivanhoe cycles!
    > sensational service from them, I felt really bad because they did not
    > have the bike I ended up wanting to buy, but because he was so helpful,
    > I almost ended up buying a different brand of bike!! Totally recommend
    > them.

    Freedom Machine definitely still in Chapel St - in old Spin Cycle
    premises. Second everything else you said. Also great service at Bike
    Life in Auburn - small stock but sensational mechanics

  12. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    forgot about Bike Life... yep.. very friendly helpful guys.... a

  13. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Consider a trek 1400 for around $2000, very solid bike.