Bike Shorts

Cycle809

Jan 26, 2008
Hi I'm Jake
Im new to cycling although I have played sports all my life. I have a mountain bike & plan to buy regular bike. I am buying new gear. Can anyone suggest a good pair of bike shorts that are padded and leave a good amount of room in the crotch (for my boys)? I have a few old pairs of unpadded shorts but they lose comfort after an hour on the trail. I mostly wear them for basketball or wrestling.
I appreciate it.
Also, I read I should wear bold colors like red, blue & yellow for visibility. Is that true? I thought black would be best as dark colors show you off less.
Thanks for your input.
After looking at the selection & prices of shorts, my head was spinning.

Jake

Visibility is important whatever you choose day or night. Car drivers are much more inclined to be nice to you if they see you from a long way off and have a bit of warning before they come up behind you.

Cycle809 said:
Also, I read I should wear bold colors like red, blue & yellow for visibility. Is that true? I thought black would be best as dark colors show you off less.
You can try looking for a pair of dark-colored shorts with brightly-colored stripes or accents on the sides. Bellwether makes quite a few like that.
You can also increase your visibility by wearing a jersey with bright or reflective colors.

Cycle809 said:
Hi I'm Jake
Im new to cycling although I have played sports all my life. I have a mountain bike & plan to buy regular bike. I am buying new gear. Can anyone suggest a good pair of bike shorts that are padded and leave a good amount of room in the crotch (for my boys)? I have a few old pairs of unpadded shorts but they lose comfort after an hour on the trail. I mostly wear them for basketball or wrestling.
I appreciate it.
Thanks for your input.

Jake
Fit means more than price. Go with black shorts and a high visibilty jersey. I'd start out with a cheap pair (Nashbar, etc.) before I spent big bucks at an LBS. Any bike short is better than any non-bike short, IMHO.

Cycle809 said:
Hi I'm Jake
I appreciate it.
Thanks for your input.

Jake
Assos all the way. They come in five colors (black, grey, blue, red, yellow). The Assos FI.Mille series of cycling shorts are the most comfortable pair I have. It's roughly $175 for the shorts and $275 for the bib shorts, but all you need are two or three pairs, right?

Nas_kaj said:
Assos all the way. They come in five colors (black, grey, blue, red, yellow). The Assos FI.Mille series of cycling shorts are the most comfortable pair I have. It's roughly $175 for the shorts and $275 for the bib shorts, but all you need are two or three pairs, right?
Holy Hannah!!! I have ridden BICYCLES across entire states that cost less than a pair of Assos bib shorts!

That's hard to say. Depends on your build. Also, do you think you want bibs or just shorts. I only ever used bibs in a knickers form early on, and hated how the waist-band pressed on my stomach when hunched over, and they can ride down. Bibs are definitely the right choice if cycling rubs you the right way. You might be best off going to a store and trying some budget one's out for a good fit. Then, she if you like cycling and if you do, you can get the better stuff (and you'll know your size, which is all fairly standard if you have an accomodating body type for their cut).

If you are worried about exposure, get a pair of touring shorts. They look like a regular pair of workout shorts but have an integral inner liner that is just like a pair of normal cycling shorts. You can find them at Nashbar or Performance Bike. Assos is great for the bling factor but I ride for enjoyment, not to make a fashion statement. I suppose that some people enjoy doing that though.