Bike Shorts

iajnin

May 18, 2004
Are bike shorts supposed to be tight on you?

I'm a first time rider and just picked up some bike shorts, they are very tight around the thighs. I'm just wondering how tight shorts should be. Thanks.

Originally posted by iajnin

I'm a first time rider and just picked up some bike shorts, they are very tight around the thighs. I'm just wondering how tight shorts should be. Thanks.

tite certainly, but comfy too, try diff sizes and brands till youre happy

Well, "very tight" is a very subjective evaluation, of course, so it's hard to say. Bike shorts are skin-tight, and should look so, but the real key is the crotch.

A pair that's too loose will probably still grab your thighs, but will likely not stay firmly in place up between your legs. That's where the fit should be judged. There shouldn't really be any space between your body and the chamois padding. If you get the sense that it might shift, bunch, rub, or sag around the crotch, you're probably wearing 'em too loose.

How do you tell if they're too tight? They hurt, I guess. Approach it this way (like you would when trying on shoes): for comfort's sake, go as large as you like, so long as you can avoid running into signs that they're too loose. A baggy crotch will cause you grief on the road.

Also, keep in mind that wearing skin-tight lycra for the first time is bound to feel strange. Good luck adjusting, and happy riding.

Some of this is just plain trial and error. I have a pair of very expensive brand name cycling shorts that I don't like because the leg grippers are too tight for **me**. They're really good, well made shorts but not built for me. The cheaper line of the same brand, wchich technically are a lower grade because they don't have a leg gripper elastic, fit me perfectly and I own about 10 pairs. Like everything else in life, one size does not fit all.

Again with the other posters, the key point of fit is in the crotch area where baggy is a really bad idea. You want a fit where the material will not move against your skin.

Yes they are. example more time you spend on your bike the more aware of some small but important diffirances in material and construction of the shorts. After riding for the last ten years, I use cycling bibs. This elimanates any material bunching up in the crotch area as well as the back and ab. areas. So get out on your bike and find out what is right for you..