Bike size

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kiara2K, May 6, 2005.

1. Kiara2K

Kiara2K New Member

Hi, Need some advice from you guys out there.
    I am 5'9" weighting 80kg and my inseam is 31".
    I am currently using a bike that is C-T 50 cm and TT is 52cm.
    Base on informations, online bike fitting suggest I should be using a bike that is C-T 52cm and a stem lenght of between 140 - 150 cm. My current stem lenght is 100 cm.

Should I change to a size 52 cm bike ? Would it make a lot of different?
    I mean it is on 2 cm and my current bike is fine, I think.

Thanks

Tags:

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

I think that you should be on a 54. Go to your bike shop and play around with the sizes.

3. sooray02

sooray02 New Member

Hello

I'm 5'11" and my inseam is about 31", which is pretty short. You know what they say about asians. :D

My fram size is 55 cm. It fits me good, but since I have longer upperbody, I have to play with it for awhile to feel comfortable.

4. Kiara2K

Kiara2K New Member

So my size 50cm frame is too small for my size?
    How would I know if a 52 or 54 cm frame would fit me best?
    I thought it is best to have a smaller size frame than your actual size?

What are the disadvantages if the frame is too small ?

Thanks

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Don't buy the BS you get here. Go to some bike shops get on some bikes or find a good fitter. Totally lame internet 'fitters' should just know when to say 'NO'! Also remember, all frames are not measured the same, and a sloping toptube throws another wrinkle into it. Given adequate standover,toptube length is more important than nominal size,and don't overlook the ability to get the bars where you need them without goofy solutions.

6. Kiara2K

Kiara2K New Member

The problem is that the LBS here (Asia) do not provide bike fitting service.
    There are not proper fitter.
    No way the LBS here will allow you to try on the bikes until you feel comfortable before buying.
    I bought my present bike because the LBS told me 50cm suite me fine and after 6 months , he tried to sell me another bike (more expensive) which happen to be a size 52cm and told me it suites me well too.
    That is why I am confuse when I hear about riders saying get a proper fitted or size bike.
    How should I know which size suites me?

7. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Unfortunate situation. It can get more unfortunate by listening to lame 'expret internet fitters'.

8. capwater

capwater New Member

Agree totally with Senor B. I've ridden comfortably (31 in inseam, 5'10') on bikes from 52 to 56, all depends how the mfg measures them. Those compact frames especially vary in how they classified. Gotta do it in person to find your proper ride.

9. Ronanmk

Ronanmk New Member

My advise is not to worry about inseams, frame sizing, sloping, long torso, short arms, bad ankles, etc and go to your LBS, try as many bikes as you possibly can and get the one that you feel most confortable in.

cheers mate

10. Napalm73

Napalm73 New Member

I am 5'9" and ride a bike with a 54cm frame. I am a bit lighter but find it the perfect size.

Cheers,