Bike size ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Scott, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. John Scott

    John Scott Guest

    I have been offered a 58cm trek 1200 road bike at a knock down 2nd hand price now I have a 56cm
    Scott pro bike already but this Trek would keep me going through the winter, I'm fed up of my flat
    handlebarred hybrid, so Im very tempted Will it fit me ? I am 5'11" with a 32" inside trouser leg.
    Problem is Bike is in London and I'm in Aberdeen so can't really try it out before purchase. What do
    you think ? Regards, John

    Tags:

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have been offered a 58cm trek 1200 road bike at a knock down 2nd hand price now I have a 56cm
    > Scott pro bike already but this Trek would keep me going through the winter, I'm fed up of my flat
    > handlebarred hybrid, so Im very tempted Will it fit me ? I am 5'11" with a 32" inside trouser leg.
    > Problem is Bike is in London and I'm in Aberdeen so can't really try it
    out
    > before purchase. What do you think ? Regards, John

    Don't do it John, you might need a smaller bike you might not. But if this bike doesn't fit you
    will spend a lot of time fiddling to get it right and never succeed.

    Graham

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have been offered a 58cm trek 1200 road bike at a knock down 2nd hand price now I have a 56cm
    > > Scott pro bike already but this Trek would keep
    me
    > > going through the winter, I'm fed up of my flat handlebarred hybrid, so
    Im
    > > very tempted Will it fit me ? I am 5'11" with a 32" inside trouser leg. Problem is Bike is in
    > > London and I'm in Aberdeen so can't really try it
    > out
    > > before purchase. What do you think ? Regards, John
    > >

    > Don't do it John, you might need a smaller bike you might not. But if this bike doesn't fit you
    > will spend a lot of time fiddling to get it
    right
    > and never succeed.

    I would tend to think it should be OK, but you never know. How much was it.

  4. Jon Martin

    Jon Martin Guest

    "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have been offered a 58cm trek 1200 road bike at a knock down 2nd hand price now I have a 56cm
    > Scott pro bike already but this Trek would keep me going through the winter, I'm fed up of my flat
    > handlebarred hybrid, so Im very tempted Will it fit me ? I am 5'11" with a 32" inside trouser leg.
    > Problem is Bike is in London and I'm in Aberdeen so can't really try it
    out
    > before purchase. What do you think ? Regards, John

    Hi, John. I'm almost exactly your size (5'11 but inside leg gettinmg on for 33"). I actually
    ride a Trek 1200 but at 56cm. That's with the saddle and bars both out high beyond the safe
    limits marked. 58cm would probably be about my right size conventionally, I just personally like
    a smaller saddle-bar distance. BTW is it a 1200 from the last couple of years? Older than that
    and you only get Sora bits, not Tiagra.

  5. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "Jon Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have been offered a 58cm trek 1200 road bike at a knock down 2nd hand price now I have a 56cm
    > > Scott pro bike already but this Trek would keep me going through the winter, I'm fed up of my
    > > flat handlebarred hybrid, so Im very tempted Will it fit me ? I am 5'11" with a 32" inside
    > > trouser leg. Problem is Bike is in London and I'm in Aberdeen so can't really try it
    > out
    > > before purchase. What do you think ? Regards, John
    >
    > Hi, John. I'm almost exactly your size (5'11 but inside leg gettinmg on for 33"). I actually
    > ride a Trek 1200 but at 56cm. That's with the saddle and bars both out high beyond the safe
    > limits marked. 58cm would probably be about my right size conventionally, I just personally
    > like a smaller saddle-bar distance.

    Where is the 56cm measured from? I'm also what seems to be the standard size for this group (5'
    11"), and *just* fit a 55cm (measured BB-centre - top-tube centre). I can just stand over this
    without "interference" - but another cm would be getting too close for comfort. I've heard it said
    that a smaller frame is better (Sheldon Brown, I think(*)), cuz you can always get a longer seat
    post and stems/extensions in various sizes.

    (*) it was; see: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html