Bike sizing help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by thestretch, Aug 7, 2004.

1. thestretch

thestretch New Member

I'm 6'4" with a 88cm inseam. I'm looking into purchasing a new frame however most formulas are telling me that a 59cm frame will fit me? Don't think so. I ride a 65cm frame right now that feels comfortable. Any suggestions?

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Don't buy a 59. If what you have works why argue with it. Be aware, that all 65s aren't the same.

3. dhk

dhk New Member

If your current big frame feels comfortable, obvious answer is to keep close to those dimensions for your new one. If you like the saddle-to-handlebar drop, reach to the bars, and where your nose falls over the stem, no real reason to change.

I'm surprised you have enough standover clearance on a 65 cm frame, since your inseam is "only" 88 cm. (I'm 6'0", with an 86 cm inseam and ride a 58 cm, C-T).

Of course, a lot of the fit issue depends on what kind of riding you want to do. Are you looking for the most efficient aero position for racing, or comfort for all-day recreational rides and touring?

Believe most fit "calculators" will try to put you in a race position, whether that's how you ride or not.

Based on your inseam measurement, a 59 or 60 cm frame should give you enough leg extension, but more drop to the handlebars and a much shorter top tube. You'd probably feel like you were riding with your nose down and out over the handlebars. You'd be in a more aero riding position, and your back and neck may take a long time to get used to the new position.

Just some random thoughts above. Only you can decide how much change you want to make, if any.