Bike sizing...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by J. Slater, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. J. Slater

    J. Slater Guest

    After going through a month-long+ ordeal of looking for my next MTB, I came across several vastly
    different opinions on bike sizing. Most guys just asked me how tall I was, or what my inseam
    measurement was. Some said to stand over it and make sure your "boys" aren't getting squished.
    Others told me to just ride the various different sizes and buy the one that you feel the most
    comfortable on. Unfortunately, all of these aren't exactly the best way to size a frame, at least
    according to my bike's manual. Haro says I should have 10 cm between the top tube and crotch when
    standing with shoes that I will ride in. I have less than 2 inches (approx 5 cm) of clearance when
    wearing tight bicycle shorts. The bike feels great so far.

    What gives?

    Tags:

  2. "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After going through a month-long+ ordeal of looking for my next MTB, I
    came
    > across several vastly different opinions on bike sizing. Most guys just asked me how tall I was,
    > or what my inseam measurement was. Some said to stand over it and make sure your "boys" aren't
    > getting squished. Others
    told
    > me to just ride the various different sizes and buy the one that you feel the most comfortable on.
    > Unfortunately, all of these aren't exactly the best way to size a frame, at least according to my
    > bike's manual. Haro
    says
    > I should have 10 cm between the top tube and crotch when standing with
    shoes
    > that I will ride in. I have less than 2 inches (approx 5 cm) of clearance when wearing tight
    > bicycle shorts. The bike feels great so far.
    >
    > What gives?

    Your nuts, if you happen to slide off the seat.....haha.

    Seriously, I have a 30 inseam and I've never seen a bike that would give me 4 inches of standover.
    The main factors that are important to me 1) that I am not stretched out too far while my hands are
    on the grips; 2) that I can reach the ground in a technical section without having to lean the bike
    over. This is where the standover comes in. I have about 1.5 inches on my current bike and that is
    sufficient. I'm not sure where the 4" recommendation came from. I've heard it mentioned a couple
    places lately and think it is excessive. When I bought a bike 10 years ago, I distinctly remember
    them telling me 1" on that particular model.

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > Unfortunately, all of these aren't exactly the best way to size a frame, at least according to my
    > bike's manual.

    Modern mountain bikes with sloped, curved top tubes have so much stand over clearance that that
    becomes an issue only for short riders. For most riders, handlebar reach is more important. You'll
    probably have 2 or 3 sizes that give you enough stand over clearance. Choose the one with the right
    amount of reach for you.

  4. Wanguard

    Wanguard Guest

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After going through a month-long+ ordeal of looking for my next MTB, I
    came
    > across several vastly different opinions on bike sizing. Most guys just asked me how tall I was,
    > or what my inseam measurement was. Some said to stand over it and make sure your "boys" aren't
    > getting squished. Others
    told
    > me to just ride the various different sizes and buy the one that you feel the most comfortable on.
    > Unfortunately, all of these aren't exactly the best way to size a frame, at least according to my
    > bike's manual. Haro
    says
    > I should have 10 cm between the top tube and crotch when standing with
    shoes
    > that I will ride in. I have less than 2 inches (approx 5 cm) of clearance when wearing tight
    > bicycle shorts. The bike feels great so far.
    >
    > What gives?

    Standover height is just a rough firsthand method of sizing. I think that recently there where some
    posts with web sites explaining proper sizing of a bike. Method becomes kind a funny since today
    there is so many geometries, systems etc.

    As for the 5cm is enough? Depends what kind of ride you ordinary do. If you do some at least a bit
    technical uphill and you stuck in a middle of it, you will cherish additional 5 cm.

    But whole story is much more complex, so try this web for a start
    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/03mar/kronpa.htm

    D'amir

  5. Piratelord®

    Piratelord® Guest

    What size frame did you go with on your Haro? What model did you finally decide on? I got the
    Extreme 2.0 and just love it. I do wonder if I should have bought the bullet and spent the extra
    $400 for the X3, which has the hydraulic discs, and XT stuff. But I really like the Marzzochi forks
    over the Rock Shox. I've had friends curse them after a year or two and they always seem to end up
    with Bombers.

    I have the 17.5 frame and I stand just at 5'11" with a 33 inch inseam. I also have about 2 inches or
    so of "boys" clearance, and since the top tube has a "dip" in it, this really helps. I found that I
    need to have the handlebar neck (I can't recall the actual name) from the 19" frame put on the 17.5
    frame to make the feel just right. Just another reason to buy from Discovery Cycles as they did this
    mod for me without even a whimper. I just love it!

    I wonder how much if any more would I have liked the Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 that I lusted after... I'm
    glad the jerks at Buck's Bikes treated me like a retard. Saved me $800. And I really think I got a
    great bike with the Haro.

    Peace out!

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After going through a month-long+ ordeal of looking for my next MTB, I
    came
    > across several vastly different opinions on bike sizing. Most guys just asked me how tall I was,
    > or what my inseam measurement was. Some said to stand over it and make sure your "boys" aren't
    > getting squished. Others
    told
    > me to just ride the various different sizes and buy the one that you feel the most comfortable on.
    > Unfortunately, all of these aren't exactly the best way to size a frame, at least according to my
    > bike's manual. Haro
    says
    > I should have 10 cm between the top tube and crotch when standing with
    shoes
    > that I will ride in. I have less than 2 inches (approx 5 cm) of clearance when wearing tight
    > bicycle shorts. The bike feels great so far.
    >
    > What gives?

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "PirateLord®" <piratolorddon'[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What size frame did you go with on your Haro?

    <snip>
    > also have about 2 inches or so of "boys" clearance, and since the top tube has a "dip" in it, this
    > really helps.

    <snip>

    So, is the 'boys clearance' freefall-a-la-commando or in snug-'em-and-hug-'em-thong-stylee ?

    ;-)

    Dave

  7. Piratelord®

    Piratelord® Guest

    I went with the 17.5 and also extended the reach. Small world. I too looked at a Jamis XLT but
    couldn't see what was worth the extra $600. The X3 was nice but no Rock Shox for me, thanks. The
    hydraulic brakes are really nice though. I bought my Haro from Don Vo at Discovery cycles on
    Anderson lane. Super guy.

    Have fun out there!

    "PirateLord®" <piratolorddon'[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What size frame did you go with on your Haro? What model did you finally decide on? I got the
    > Extreme 2.0 and just love it. I do wonder if I
    should
    > have bought the bullet and spent the extra $400 for the X3, which has the hydraulic discs, and XT
    > stuff. But I really like the Marzzochi forks over the Rock Shox. I've had friends curse them after
    > a year or two and they always seem to end up with Bombers.
    >
    > I have the 17.5 frame and I stand just at 5'11" with a 33 inch inseam. I also have about 2 inches
    > or so of "boys" clearance, and since the top tube has a "dip" in it, this really helps. I found
    > that I need to have the handlebar neck (I can't recall the actual name) from the 19" frame put on
    > the 17.5 frame to make the feel just right. Just another reason to buy
    from
    > Discovery Cycles as they did this mod for me without even a whimper. I
    just
    > love it!
    >
    > I wonder how much if any more would I have liked the Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 that I lusted after...
    > I'm glad the jerks at Buck's Bikes treated me like
    > retard. Saved me $800. And I really think I got a great bike with the Haro.
    >

    > Peace out!
    >
    > "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > After going through a month-long+ ordeal of looking for my next MTB, I
    > came
    > > across several vastly different opinions on bike sizing. Most guys just asked me how tall I was,
    > > or what my inseam measurement was. Some said
    > > stand over it and make sure your "boys" aren't getting squished. Others
    > told
    > > me to just ride the various different sizes and buy the one that you
    feel
    > > the most comfortable on. Unfortunately, all of these aren't exactly the best way to size a
    > > frame, at least according to my bike's manual. Haro
    > says
    > > I should have 10 cm between the top tube and crotch when standing with
    > shoes
    > > that I will ride in. I have less than 2 inches (approx 5 cm) of
    clearance
    > > when wearing tight bicycle shorts. The bike feels great so far.
    > >
    > > What gives?

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Dave thoughtfully penned:
    > "PirateLord®" <piratolorddon'[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> What size frame did you go with on your Haro?
    >
    > <snip>
    >> also have about 2 inches or so of "boys" clearance, and since the top tube has a "dip" in it,
    >> this really helps.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > So, is the 'boys clearance' freefall-a-la-commando or in snug-'em-and-hug-'em-thong-stylee ?
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > Dave

    don't answer that.

  9. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "J. Slater" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After going through a month-long+ ordeal of looking for my next MTB, I
    came
    > across several vastly different opinions on bike sizing. Most guys just asked me how tall I was,
    > or what my inseam measurement was. Some said to stand over it and make sure your "boys" aren't
    > getting squished. Others
    told
    > me to just ride the various different sizes and buy the one that you feel the most comfortable on.
    > Unfortunately, all of these aren't exactly the best way to size a frame, at least according to my
    > bike's manual. Haro
    says
    > I should have 10 cm between the top tube and crotch when standing with
    shoes
    > that I will ride in. I have less than 2 inches (approx 5 cm) of clearance when wearing tight
    > bicycle shorts. The bike feels great so far.
    >
    > What gives?

    Beats me too. There seem to be too many measuring systems and too many geometries to ever be 100%
    sure of matching rider to bike without actually riding it. I'm 5'7" and have Duck's disease - my
    legs are short. On a cold day I've got 2" clearance over the frame but feel absolutely comfortable
    in the "cockpit" as far as length and reach goes. <shrug>
    --
    Westie