Bike snobbery

EuanB

New Member
Jan 11, 2005
Had fun with a bike snob today. Highett road pull up next to a roadie, one of those that wears the lycra booties over his shoes
(waaaannnnnkkkkeeeeerrrrrrrr!)

So there's me on my pannier laden Trek. Did my usual cheery ``Morning'' to which I got a disdainful look and a grunt. He was on a nice bike, shiny red Cannondale. Anyway lights go green and off we go.

He was just cruising so five minutes down the road we come across another cyclist. He looks over his shoulder and his face registers some surprise to see me just three meters off his wheel (I don't wheel suck when commuting).

Up out the saddle he gets and puts the hammer down. Not very effectively as it turns out, I didn't even get out the saddle and within thirty seconds was three meters off his wheel again.

We pull up at the next lights and we're side by side. My beuatiful Candy pedals are just a dream so snick in to so it's with no effort at all that I'm powering off ahead of him while he fscks around with his roadie cleats.

Not surprisingly he's out the saddle again and powering off around me, only to sit down and I actually slow down to stay three meters off his wheel.

This carries on all the way to the hill starting from Inkerman Street and the hill. He's out the saddle, I'm in the saddle and he doesn't get up the hill much quicker than me. He looks over his shoulder and there I am once again.

It's at this point he gets totally ****** and hammers down the hill. Funny :)

EuanB said:
[...]

ohhh you're the b**tard!

no only joking wasn't me..... I wear booties over my shoes but only when it is cold enough for my toes to snap off, does that mean I am a w**ker !? oh wait im just a w**ker anyway.... :)

EuanB said:
[...]

Heh heh... those guys on Treks really are snobs!

Ritch

EuanB said:
It's at this point he gets totally ****** and hammers down the hill. Funny :)

Bwhahahaha! Think I've mentioned this one before, but here goes..

When I used to commute along Canning/Station St a fave lurk was to find a appropriately suited up roadie, draft quietly and then freewheel past without changing gears. Sprint for 50-100m, then find the first lefthand turn and die. Did this whilst riding a heavy MTB, panniers and all sorts of personalised decoration on the bike/helmet. Reckon I damaged a few egos, but it was brilliant intensive training... :D

Some roadies who approach riding too seriously, are like cats. They virtually have no sense of humour.

I was on the other end of this last night... and I won :)

Some dude cranking along the east fwy path (inbound)... I caught him, then he sat on my wheel... no worries there, then his gears started flicking around, which made me think it was my bike... then they went again.. argh bugger this, introduced sukka to interval training.. he popped off the back...

So much for a recovery ride ;)

cheers,
GPL

cfsmtb said:
Some roadies who approach riding too seriously, are like cats. They virtually have no sense of humour.

Just saw 'Bad Boy Bubby'... one wacked movie.. Bubby likes cats..

http://tinyurl.com/ak67x

cheers,
GPL

On 2006-01-16, cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
> When I used to commute along Canning/Station St a fave lurk was to find
> a appropriately suited up roadie, draft quietly and then freewheel past
> without changing gears. Sprint for 50-100m, then find the first
> lefthand turn and die. Did this whilst riding a heavy MTB, panniers and
> all sorts of personalised decoration on the bike/helmet. Reckon I
> damaged a few egos, but it was brilliant intensive training... :D

Oh, so *that's* what's going on: I get overtaken by somebody who's
making it look easy, but they collapse when they're out of sight. Now I
don't feel quite so bad. :D

EuanB wrote:

> Had fun with a bike snob today. Highett road pull up next to a roadie,
> one of those that wears the lycra booties over his shoes
> (waaaannnnnkkkkeeeeerrrrrrrr!)
>
> So there's me on my pannier laden Trek. Did my usual cheery
> ``Morning'' to which I got a disdainful look and a grunt. He was on a
> nice bike, shiny red Cannondale. Anyway lights go green and off we go.
>
> He was just cruising so five minutes down the road we come across
> another cyclist. He looks over his shoulder and his face registers
> some surprise to see me just three meters off his wheel (I don't wheel
> suck when commuting).
>
> Up out the saddle he gets and puts the hammer down. Not very
> effectively as it turns out, I didn't even get out the saddle and
> within thirty seconds was three meters off his wheel again.
>
> We pull up at the next lights and we're side by side. My beuatiful
> Candy pedals are just a dream so snick in to so it's with no effort at
> all that I'm powering off ahead of him while he fscks around with his
> roadie cleats.
>
> Not surprisingly he's out the saddle again and powering off around me,
> only to sit down and I actually slow down to stay three meters off his
> wheel.
>
> This carries on all the way to the hill starting from Inkerman Street
> and the hill. He's out the saddle, I'm in the saddle and he doesn't
> get up the hill much quicker than me. He looks over his shoulder and
> there I am once again.
>
> It's at this point he gets totally ****** and hammers down the hill.
> Funny :)
>
> --
> EuanB

See, I never feel the need to chase anyone down...

.... unless they act like that ;)

gplama said:
Just saw 'Bad Boy Bubby'... one wacked movie.. Bubby likes cats..

http://tinyurl.com/ak67x

cheers,
GPL
Classic movie..

How come cat no breathe? Bubby get pizza for cat?

Bahahahah. The last 1-2km of my commute is a long easy climb with a few lil' changes in gradient but only for 50-100m at a time.

Last summer 2 guys catch me at lights and I'm on th heavily laden commuter. They take off so i play along and sit on their wheel.
One of em is obviously far stronger and is makin the other guy hurt and he starts to struggle real bad as we hit one of the lil gradient changes.
I knew the hill and thus knew this the spot for some fun.
Pass the struggler and look at his bike and say
"hmmmm. must be that heavy brand of carbon fibre".
Now sittin on faster guy's wheel, tryin to let him think he has dropped me.
Reach top of hill which flattens out. Pass him trying not to breathe or blink (Lance-like).
Pass and get to lights and make righthand turn as lights change and they pull up. Get home rather shattered but grinnin :D:D:D:D

Stuart Lamble wrote:
> On 2006-01-16, cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
> > When I used to commute along Canning/Station St a fave lurk was to find
> > a appropriately suited up roadie, draft quietly and then freewheel past
> > without changing gears. Sprint for 50-100m, then find the first
> > lefthand turn and die. Did this whilst riding a heavy MTB, panniers and
> > all sorts of personalised decoration on the bike/helmet. Reckon I
> > damaged a few egos, but it was brilliant intensive training... :D

> Oh, so *that's* what's going on: I get overtaken by somebody who's
> making it look easy, but they collapse when they're out of sight. Now I
> don't feel quite so bad. :D

The actual overtake should be done, hands off the bars, preferably
fetching something from a jersey pocket, or rolling up a windvest etc.
It's even better if you do it while removing leg warmers. Now *that*
is style :)

cfsmtb said:
Bwhahahaha! Think I've mentioned this one before, but here goes..

When I used to commute along Canning/Station St a fave lurk was to find a appropriately suited up roadie, draft quietly and then freewheel past without changing gears. Sprint for 50-100m, then find the first lefthand turn and die. Did this whilst riding a heavy MTB, panniers and all sorts of personalised decoration on the bike/helmet. Reckon I damaged a few egos, but it was brilliant intensive training... :D

Some roadies who approach riding too seriously, are like cats. They virtually have no sense of humour.
I get seriously p!ssed off when people do this - not because it hurts my ego, but because I think it's rude when people draft me, then overtake me and take off when I've towed them for a distance. This happened to me the other week - two males sat on my wheel for several kilometres, then passed me to show me just how huge their penises were. When the second one passed I said "Hey, how about returning the favour? Give us a wheel to sit on!" and he did. So here I was, on my (nice-ish) road bike, drafting a guy in a trucker singlet on his sh!tbox bike with panniers. Didn't hurt my ego at all - the first guy just p!ssed me off because it's inconsiderate not to return the favour.

Personally, I don't care if people pass me on sh!tty bikes because I know how far I ride and I don't care if overtaking me gives them their jollies. More often than not, I see them turn off at Sherwood and think "Ha! That's a measly 12km, you *****!", then continue my 35km commute. That's no doubt exactly what these roadies were thinking when you passed them at Mach 10, then turned up a side street.

I must admit, some roadies tend to have a bit of attitude, but that's just the way people are in general.

Lotte

Far out, the way some people on this forum get their jollies makes me think they drive Prados.

Just think, next time you overtake some '******' with lycra shoe covers, that they might have already ridden 100km by the time you overtake them. Heroes.

You're missed the point - not *everyone* comes from a roadie background & most of us common grunts do love to take the ****. :p

cfsmtb said:
You're missed the point - not *everyone* comes from a roadie background & most of us common grunts do love to take the ****. :p
It's not about what sort of background you're from - it's about common courtesy.

Bleve wrote:

> Stuart Lamble wrote:
> > On 2006-01-16, cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > When I used to commute along Canning/Station St a fave lurk was to find
> > > a appropriately suited up roadie, draft quietly and then freewheel past
> > > without changing gears. Sprint for 50-100m, then find the first
> > > lefthand turn and die. Did this whilst riding a heavy MTB, panniers and
> > > all sorts of personalised decoration on the bike/helmet. Reckon I
> > > damaged a few egos, but it was brilliant intensive training... :D

> > Oh, so *that's* what's going on: I get overtaken by somebody who's
> > making it look easy, but they collapse when they're out of sight. Now I
> > don't feel quite so bad. :D

> The actual overtake should be done, hands off the bars, preferably
> fetching something from a jersey pocket, or rolling up a windvest etc.
> It's even better if you do it while removing leg warmers. Now *that*
> is style :)

I do take some pleasure in overtaking up hills, with one hand on the
bars while I have a bit of a drink, then have a chat to the people I'm
passing, adjust my jersey a bit, put both hands on and spin a bit
faster...

Not like that was going to happen this week. My legs are SHATTERED. 75km
will do that to you.

Tam

LotteBum wrote:

> cfsmtb Wrote:
> > Bwhahahaha! Think I've mentioned this one before, but here goes..
> >
> > When I used to commute along Canning/Station St a fave lurk was to find
> > a appropriately suited up roadie, draft quietly and then freewheel past
> > without changing gears. Sprint for 50-100m, then find the first
> > lefthand turn and die. Did this whilst riding a heavy MTB, panniers and
> > all sorts of personalised decoration on the bike/helmet. Reckon I
> > damaged a few egos, but it was brilliant intensive training... :D
> >
> > Some roadies who approach riding too seriously, are like cats. They
> > virtually have no sense of humour.

> I get seriously p!ssed off when people do this - not because it hurts
> my ego, but because I think it's rude when people draft me, then
> overtake me and take off when I've towed them for a distance. This
> happened to me the other week - two males sat on my wheel for several
> kilometres, then passed me to show me just how huge their penises were.
> When the second one passed I said "Hey, how about returning the favour?
> Give us a wheel to sit on!" and he did. So here I was, on my
> (nice-ish) road bike, drafting a guy in a trucker singlet on his
> sh!tbox bike with panniers. Didn't hurt my ego at all - the first guy
> just p!ssed me off because it's inconsiderate not to return the favour.
>
> Personally, I don't care if people pass me on sh!tty bikes because I
> know how far I ride and I don't care if overtaking me gives them their
> jollies. More often than not, I see them turn off at Sherwood and
> think "Ha! That's a measly 12km, you *****!", then continue my 35km
> commute. That's no doubt exactly what these roadies were thinking when
> you passed them at Mach 10, then turned up a side street.
>
> I must admit, some roadies tend to have a bit of attitude, but that's
> just the way people are in general.

Hey, I turn off at Sherwood! (Although usually I suck your wheel around
there...)

Tam