Bike snobbery

LotteBum wrote:
>. and Terry obviously
> thought that his comment was going to hurt my feelings. It doesn't.

Okay, you're not Lotte with the Shottie {:).
No problems.

EuanB wrote:

> warrwych Wrote:
> > for winter I want a pair of sheepskin lined booties - ugg boots for
> > cyclists. in pink please. Hmm but then I would have to be a bogan
> > single mother from Moe to wear them??????????

> Ugg boots rule. I'm not allowed to wear them out of the house though.
>
> No I am *not* under the thumb, isn't that right dear ;-)

My office is very cold. I keep my ugg boots under the desk for toasty
warm feet year-round. It's not good if I walk outside wearing them in
the middle of summer, though.

Tam

warrwych wrote:

> Hmm but then I would have to be a bogan single mother

Question. If she has two children is she still a single mother?

Theo

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> My office is very cold. I keep my ugg boots under the desk for toasty
> warm feet year-round. It's not good if I walk outside wearing them in
> the middle of summer, though.

Whaaaat? Doesn't your office have it's own individual air conditioner, just
for you? Just like mine. :)

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > My office is very cold. I keep my ugg boots under the desk for toasty
> > warm feet year-round. It's not good if I walk outside wearing them in
> > the middle of summer, though.

> Whaaaat? Doesn't your office have it's own individual air conditioner, just
> for you? Just like mine. :)
>
> Theo

Of course not. The university has a policy that all new buildings must
have central air conditioning. And windows that don't open. So I get
subjected to fscking freezing winter all year long, instead of just
opening my window and enjoying the balmy Brisbane weather.

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > My office is very cold. I keep my ugg boots under the desk for toasty
> > warm feet year-round. It's not good if I walk outside wearing them in
> > the middle of summer, though.

> Whaaaat? Doesn't your office have it's own individual air conditioner, just
> for you? Just like mine. :)
>
> Theo

Of course not. The university has a policy that all new buildings must
have central air conditioning. And windows that don't open. So I get
subjected to fscking freezing winter all year long, instead of just
opening my window and enjoying the balmy Brisbane weather.

Tam
I spend most of my working day in an equipment room, it's a rude shock stepping out in to 40 degree heat to cycle home after 19 degrees.

On 2006-01-18, Bleve (aka Bruce)

> Euan wrote:
>
>> Or we could meet at some place, say Goat :)

> But you sleep with one goat ...

Jim, is that you?

(there is a scary number of people in this September forum who will
understand that joek).

--
TimC
Yesterday, after years of trying, I finally managed to take a photo of a

Tamyka Bell said:
MikeyOz wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > MikeyOz wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Geesh hate to think what I would be called, with Tri Bars, riding on
> > > beach road and wearing booties!

> > Perhaps you would be called "confused"? I reckon it'd be tricky
> > getting
> > into your already-clipped-in shoes if there were booties on 'em. What
> > kinda trihardlete does that?
> >
> > Tam

> Go for a ride down here, during the middle of winter and see how you go
> without booties on! some other people might be able to do it.... I
> started wearing them, when I came back from a ride one morning and I
> could still not feel my toes after being back for 30 minutes! I thought
> I had frost bite!
>
> luckily I have just enough brains not to try and put them on during a
> triathlon :) only just enough though.
>
> --
> MikeyOz

There is another solution... take the tri bars off! (Mine are going,
going...)

:p

I bought booties last month, so I'll have real ones instead of the footy
socks I wore last winter. (They worked, but kept falling apart too
easily - too many pairs used...)

Tam

Footy socks! Great look if you have them stretched all the way up to your knee over your longs.

I can't survive winter (in Melbourne) without booties. My feet get extremely painful even with them on sometimes. Same deal with gloves.

jazmo said:
Footy socks! Great look if you have them stretched all the way up to your knee over your longs.

I can't survive winter (in Melbourne) without booties. My feet get extremely painful even with them on sometimes. Same deal with gloves.

Love it. Used to wear a pair of Tiggs socks pulled all the way up with long shorts when commuting home. Better (and warmer) than reflectors etc. :D

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:21:37 +0000, TimC wrote:

> (there is a scary number of people in this September forum who will
> understand that joek).

^^^^

*BLAM!*

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:31:17 +1100, warrwych wrote:

> for winter I want a pair of sheepskin lined booties - ugg boots for
> cyclists.

I have Ugg overboots. Well, I have a pair of dead ugg boots that I've
pulled the sole out of. I was going to wear them with a flanny and black
jeans for a lap of the Mont last year, but didn't end up making it down.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Random miscellany, as opposed to that other kind of miscellany

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:23:55 +1100, LotteBum wrote:

> Terry's problem is that he remembers me from back in my teenage days

When you used to tell people to "Eat ****"?
<whistles innocently>

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"We live in the interface between radioactive molten rock and hard

On 2006-01-19, Random Data (aka Bruce)
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:21:37 +0000, TimC wrote:
>
>> (there is a scary number of people in this September forum who will
>> understand that joek).

> ^^^^
>
> *BLAM!*

Not people? Goat?

--
TimC
There are running jobs. Why don't you go chase them?

--
Frank
[email protected]
"EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > toasty

> > in
> > >
> > > Whaaaat? Doesn't your office have it's own individual air

> > conditioner, just
> > > for you? Just like mine. :)
> > >
> > > Theo

> > Of course not. The university has a policy that all new buildings must
> > have central air conditioning. And windows that don't open. So I get
> > subjected to fscking freezing winter all year long, instead of just
> > opening my window and enjoying the balmy Brisbane weather.
> >
> > Tam

> I spend most of my working day in an equipment room, it's a rude shock
> stepping out in to 40 degree heat to cycle home after 19 degrees.
>

> --
> EuanB

Arrgh! Puleeeeze!

My ex used to complain about how hard it was working in a nice cool bank all
day and copping the heat after work.

I work in industrial safety in a heavy industry - I'm lucky if I get to
spend an hour a day in my office. I'm out and about on the refinery, making
sure people don't get hurt making the alumina that goes to making the
aluminium to make bikes.

I'm lucky - I only have to walk around outside. Some of the guys spend their
days in 50 deg ambient heat (in winter - more in summer), swinging 7lb
sledgehammers to operate valving that takes a beating to use. I did that for
about 15 years before moving into my current job.

Somehow my heart fails to bleed for those poor souls who get to spend their
time being cool for most of the day...

BIG TIC here - don't get all righteous on me!

Frank

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:42:30 +1100, SuzieB wrote:

> LOL I might be biased because I am married to Euan but I can assure
> you that he is a friendly guy.

Uh huh. If cheerfully saying "Good morning" to someone while thinking "What
a ******" is friendly, then ok, he's friendly. It's not the term I'd use.

> I think you'll find that the post was
> meant to be taken with a touch of humour.

Yes, of course - silly me. If some ******** starting spouting jokes about
the stupidity of, say, cyclists or women, you complained, and he told you
that it was all in fun and you should get a sense of humour, you'd
apologize, wouldn't you?

"Plodder" <[email protected] (remove DAKS to reply)> writes:

> --
> Frank
> [email protected]
> Drop DACKS to reply
> "EuanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I spend most of my working day in an equipment room, it's a rude shock
>> stepping out in to 40 degree heat to cycle home after 19 degrees.
>>

>> --
>> EuanB

> Arrgh! Puleeeeze!
>
> My ex used to complain about how hard it was working in a nice cool bank all
> day and copping the heat after work.
>
> I work in industrial safety in a heavy industry - I'm lucky if I get to
> spend an hour a day in my office. I'm out and about on the refinery, making
> sure people don't get hurt making the alumina that goes to making the
> aluminium to make bikes.
>
> I'm lucky - I only have to walk around outside. Some of the guys spend their
> days in 50 deg ambient heat (in winter - more in summer), swinging 7lb
> sledgehammers to operate valving that takes a beating to use. I did that for
> about 15 years before moving into my current job.
>
> Somehow my heart fails to bleed for those poor souls who get to spend their
> time being cool for most of the day...
>
> BIG TIC here - don't get all righteous on me!

In a previous life I spent weeks at a time with no access to running
water, electricity or amenities of that ilk for weeks at a time. Just
because I live the life I do now doesn't mean I haven't experienced life
without air conditioning.

Frankly I think the world would be a better place without air
conditioning. People would learn to live with the heat and I suspect
there'd be less illness. I've a suspicion that air conditioning spreads
a lot of infection in the work place.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Michael Warner <[email protected]> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:42:30 +1100, SuzieB wrote:
>
>> LOL I might be biased because I am married to Euan but I can assure
>> you that he is a friendly guy.

> Uh huh. If cheerfully saying "Good morning" to someone while thinking "What
> a ******" is friendly, then ok, he's friendly. It's not the term I'd use.

If you'd read and comprehended my earlier response to you and if you'd
read and comprehended my earlier response to Lotte then you'd know that
my opinion was formed over the thirty minutes of riding and the response
I received when I genuinely said `Good Morning'.

I'll explain once more and that'll be an end to it. I was riding along
on my normal commute and pulled up next to a roadie. The roadie was
kitted out rather seriously, even including Lycra booties which is a
little unusual in a 25 degree morning. Very nice bike and he had good
looking legs (i.e. he looked like he'd spent a good amount of time on
the bike.) As I always do when pulling up next to another cyclist at
some lights I cheerily said `good morning.'

The response I got was a slow look up and down me and my steed and a
surly `all right.' OK, I thought, he's not feeling particularly
sociable this morning. Fair enough.

No thoughts of ****** at this stage.

We set off and he's in front. He's going a touch slower than I normally
do but I hang back. With 15 kilos on the back and me looking for an
easy ride I'm not about to overtake him, have him overtake me etc etc so
I stay three meters off his wheel.

We come across another cyclist. The first cyclist on looking behind him
looks over his shoulder and there's no mistaking the body language, he's
surprised and not pleased that I'm up there with him. Out the saddle he
gets and pumps away for twenty seconds or so.

My speed increases to its normal level and it's not long before the gap
he'd opened up is bridged and I slow down again, three meters off his
wheel.

This goes on for the length of Nepean.

At traffic lights the roadie has trouble clipping in, understandable
with single sided cleats. With double sided cleats I clip in first
time, every time. Leaving the lights I pull away from him. Thirty
seconds later he passes me out the saddle, as soon as he's passed me he
drops back in to the saddle and slows down, causing me to slow down or
I'd hit him.

It's around about then that I thought `******'.

>> I think you'll find that the post was
>> meant to be taken with a touch of humour.

> Yes, of course - silly me. If some ******** starting spouting jokes about
> the stupidity of, say, cyclists or women, you complained, and he told you
> that it was all in fun and you should get a sense of humour, you'd
> apologize, wouldn't you?

The above is the accurate version, but it's a bit boring. I prefer my
slightly edited version which has a bit of humor about it, humor most
people on here seemed to get if you look at the responses.

So I'm terribly sorry if my poetic licence offended your sensibilities.
While we're on the subject of apologizing for causing offence, how about
an apology for your entirely unreasonable attitude towards mountain
bikes on the road? I find that offensive, I'm complaining so pony up
with the apology Mr Warner?
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Euan wrote:

> So I'm terribly sorry if my poetic licence offended your sensibilities.
> While we're on the subject of apologizing for causing offence, how about
> an apology for your entirely unreasonable attitude towards mountain
> bikes on the road? I find that offensive, I'm complaining so pony up
> with the apology Mr Warner?

Aren't MTB riders with panniers overtaking roadies (with the MTB
suitably decorated with fluff) about $12 a kilo these days?

I wish my guineapigs were carnivores :)

Bleve said:
Euan wrote:

> So I'm terribly sorry if my poetic licence offended your sensibilities.
> While we're on the subject of apologizing for causing offence, how about
> an apology for your entirely unreasonable attitude towards mountain
> bikes on the road? I find that offensive, I'm complaining so pony up
> with the apology Mr Warner?

Aren't MTB riders with panniers overtaking roadies (with the MTB
suitably decorated with fluff) about $12 a kilo these days?

I wish my guineapigs were carnivores :)

I am still trying to work out why you have guinea pigs - they are too small to eat.