Bike Snobs 2...New Question and Blog by the Pudgy Peddler

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by abnersbikes, Apr 4, 2011.

1. abnersbikes

abnersbikes New Member

I have been recently taking notice of the bike snobbery that occurs on rides and I posted a blog segment on it and I got so many responses to it I did a follow up Bike Snobs 2 today ...However I am wondering what you think of these guys and how you deal with them or am I completely off base for feeling this way?
    Pudgy Peddler
    Read the Blogs at the link below.
    http://www.pudgypeddler.blogspot.com/

Tags:

2. BHOFM

BHOFM Active Member

I have seen more snobs on this site than I met on the streets and
    trails.

I am heavy, 220, down from 280 last year. I ride a WalMart Schwinn
    Aluminum Comp with street tread tires.
    I have had folks riding high $$ bikes stop and visit and give me lots
    of encouragement.

In fact when I started riding seriously last May a gentleman on the trail
    one morning stopped and showed me the best seat position and we
    rode together for a while and he pointed out I was trying to run in too
    high a gear and not shifting often enough. After these pointers my
    average picked up and my distances nearly doubled. He rides a
    custom carbon fiber Tri bike, under 14 pounds and over $10K.
    He ran the Boston marathon and the New York marathon this
    year and has raced in Europe several times.

It is about being out there and doing your best, not what you
    wear or ride. It is about having fun and getting in shape. It is
    about cycling! It is about 126 miles in under ten hours. Not
    a record, but I am damn proud of it! I started in May last
    year struggling to do five mile in five hours with ten rest stops.

Last week I did an 65, 85, 45, 63 milers and it felt great!

pantlesspenguin likes this.
  3. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

IMO you are a snob.

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I prefer to be addressed as Sir Snob.

5. abnersbikes

abnersbikes New Member

Snob yes ...maybe...but your opinion means little to me cuz I am looking down my nose at you...You Peasant muuuu-ahahaha (a sinister better-than-you laugh)

6. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

I agree my opinion means nothing to you. On the other hand you are the one who has a problem Stereotyping. Bike Snob and now Peasant. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/nonono2.gif

7. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Are you refering to the pudgypeddler site?

8. blazingpedals

blazingpedals New Member

Are you still mad because I passed you last weekend without waving?

danfoz and davereo like this.
  9. abnersbikes

abnersbikes New Member

YES AND NOW I WILL CRY A SILENT TEAR FOR ALL THOSE MISSED SMILES, WAVES AND FRIENDLY GESTURES WE COULD HAVE SHARED!

10. BrianTX

BrianTX New Member

Ha ha ha ha. There are jerks everywhere, in any sport, etc. In my very limited experience, the overwhelming majority of people I ride by are very nice. I'm no bike snob, but I have to admit my best cycling buddy is a bike snob, and he's still my buddy. When he says something about my bike, I just give him a good gig back. Usually something like...well my $500 walmart bike just dropped you a while back...lol. Have fun and don't worry about what the next guy thinks.

11. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Bike snobbery it's less about what you ride, more about your perception of others based on your own personal feelings of what they should be riding. I rode on enough crap when I was 17 making minimum wage. Ride what you want, and let other's ride what they want - problem solved. Like PP mentioned on the blog, it's attitude that causes the problem.

Edit: touched up my post here and there to come off sounding as little like a snob as possible /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

12. Stuartm9999

Stuartm9999 New Member

13. grandamn

grandamn New Member

When I first started out (4 weeks ago) I had the same mindset
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/484559/newbie-wondering-why-so-many-cyclists-seem-snobby-shopping-list-training-question

then after I purchased a Bianchi and I was bit by the bike bug on my first ride
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE= medium]This was more cruising that serious riding but I realized what a huge difference the weight decrease made. You can see everything was better but the energy use was less. That’s when I realized a saying I always heard growing up "Use the right tool for the right job". These guys that go over a 100 miles aren’t supermen. Not discredit anyone but it is much easier with a lighter bike, shorts with padding, etc. By spending money on light good quality parts seems to enable you to go faster, father, for less energy. If you asked me two months ago if I could ride a bike for 50 miles I would tell you "hell no" especially being a smoker. I guess Newtonian Physics is actually true, It just sucks it’s so damn expensive.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]PS Just an update I will be participating in that ride to Montauk on June 18th. I know I can do it.[/SIZE]

14. YosemiteGirl

YosemiteGirl New Member

I'm only a snob when it comes to safety....it totally weirds me out when I see no helmets and riders with no lights at night. I don't say anything (out loud) but it gets really loud inside my head :)

we've all been at that stage in one sport or another...there is always someone better than, or worse than, your ability. I have other sports that I am very good in, so being low man on the cycling pole doesn't bother me. I'm pretty oblivious, so I don't even notice half of it. Except for the guy in the racing kit that tried to pass me on the inside on a sharp curve in the pouring rain that almost took me out (sheer luck for me, he went down), I have had pretty good experiences over the past 4 weeks since I started. Lots of super fast experienced looking guys passing me on the bike paths, clearly marking me as green/new with a smile, wave, and a "keep it up!"

15. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

My FCN... scored a -1 before the test was even over /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif