bike specific fleece? what does it mean?

chainstretched

Aug 25, 2006
Hi

I've been thinking about buying a fleece for cool or cold weather rides. There are many 'bike specific' ones on the market, but what makes them different? I could get a general purpose polyester fleece quite cheap, and I understand polyester is quite breathable, so what's the difference? :confused:

When they say bike specific, usually they mean the cut - the jacket will be made to not bind when your arms are forward, lower in the back so that it doesnt ride up and expose your skin, and contoured to not bunch up in the front when you bend over the handebars. It will also often have a pocket in the back and/or a napolean style breast pocket, rather than the typical slash pockets that are useless on the bike.

Thanks for the reply. I must admit I'm a bit sceptical about bike specific cuts. I ride a roadbike for leisure only (and the occasional commute). I've used some bike specific clothing but I don't feel any significant difference in terms of comfort etc. Some bike tops don't have any pockets at all, and if the back of a jacket rides up too much, it suggets to me that the jacket is on the short side to begin with. I can't help thinking that 'bike specific' is a notion that is heavily rooted in marketing.

chainstretched said:
Thanks for the reply. I must admit I'm a bit sceptical about bike specific cuts. I ride a roadbike for leisure only (and the occasional commute). I've used some bike specific clothing but I don't feel any significant difference in terms of comfort etc. Some bike tops don't have any pockets at all, and if the back of a jacket rides up too much, it suggets to me that the jacket is on the short side to begin with. I can't help thinking that 'bike specific' is a notion that is heavily rooted in marketing.

It's not marketing at all. A road bike rider, in a traditional riding position, wearing bike shorts, will be exposed to water or cold air running down his backside. If a regular, non-cycling jacket, is cut long enough to prevent this, then it will bunch up in front and be bulky. Maybe on a short ride, these things don't matter, but if you're on the bike for an extended ride such things can make all the difference between a nice ride and a gloomy slog.

Also, cycling cut can make a large difference in comfort. On a loose, baggy shirt, it probably doesn't matter, but if you want a shirt that doesn't flap around and fits snug, then the wrong cut results in binding here and there and possibly cutting down circulation.

Pockets are a convenience that a lot of us prefer. They allow access to things without the need to get off a bike. They allow you to forgo mounting a saddle bag. Saddle bags often abrade bike shorts/bibs on the inside of the legs, reducing the lifetime of said shorts/bibs.

I've been on 2 to 3 hour rides wearing non bike-specific clothing. I imagine you're talking about 5-6 hour training rides? about the pockets, I also prefer to have them, that's why I find it ironic that say, a non-specific windbreaker might have 2 pockets, whereas a bike specific windbreaker or similar garment might not have any.

chainstretched said:
I've been on 2 to 3 hour rides wearing non bike-specific clothing. I imagine you're talking about 5-6 hour training rides? about the pockets, I also prefer to have them, that's why I find it ironic that say, a non-specific windbreaker might have 2 pockets, whereas a bike specific windbreaker or similar garment might not have any.

The philosophy on bike jackets varies, with some manufacturers apparently assuming that the rider will use the pockets on his jersey, underneath the jacket, and other manufacturers believing pockets should also be included on the back, outside of the jacket.

alienator said:
It's not marketing at all. A road bike rider, in a traditional riding position, wearing bike shorts, will be exposed to water or cold air running down his backside. If a regular, non-cycling jacket, is cut long enough to prevent this, then it will bunch up in front and be bulky.

Just to widen the selection some:
Jackets for climbing/mountaineering can also work reasonably well for biking. They tend to have similar features, no low front pockets, long arms and a high front cut as not to interfere with a harness.
Snowboarding gear is usually so-so, longish arms and backs, but the preferred baggy fit by that group of people can make them rather flappy around the torso in a bike application. Kayaking gear probably have the arms and the pockets about right, but I don't know how they'd do at the back.