bike stability and 32c tires

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jack Murphy, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy Guest

I added 32c width tires to my Gunnar Sport this fall, and it seems to have caused a real stability
    problem. The first pair I put on were visibly quite out of round, so the shop replaced them. Even
    then, the rear one had a spot where the bead was perfectly round and even along the rim, but the
    tread varied enough to be noticeable.

This causes some stability problem, notably wobbly when I go no-handed or fast with a touring load
    (not what I wanted on Ozark hiways).

I purchased another tire (same brand - panaracer pasela, kevlar bead and belt, supposed to be good
    tire) and its less out of round than the previous one, but still not real even at the tread and I
    still have wobble going nohanded.

Is this a bad run of luck on getting tires, or are all wider tires less accurate? Shop's stumped so
    I mailordered the last tire. Could there be something else wrong? Its a new bike that's never been
    down. I didn't notice any wobble on my 28c tires, even going 40mph with no load. I do want to put
    the narrower tires back on and really check that though, wait till weather's a bit more cooperative
    for that. I like these tires otherwise, they seem to have good tread and feel. I wonder if I ought
    to try one more time. jm

Tags:

2. >Is this a bad run of luck on getting tires, or are all wider tires less accurate?

Probably not. I've had good luck with Conti TT2KS in the larger sizes, they seem to be very even.
    Your wheels and rim size are going to make a difference here as well.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
    the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.