Bike Stand Help. Which one should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by JustBikeNow, Oct 1, 2005.

1. JustBikeNow

JustBikeNow New Member

I have been doing work on my bike on the floor, most of the time flipping the bike upside down so it stands on its handle bar and seat. I am looking for a stand to make it easier on me to work on the bike. I don't know much about stands, but for those out there that have them please share your experience. The one I see that is reasonable priced is this link below

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19982&subcategory_ID=4216

I can get it for $129 with tax at the local store. Is the operation and feasability the same as the Park Tool? or Pedro's Stand?

Any help will be appreciated. I need to make my decision by October 2nd.

Tags:

2. FasterthanU

FasterthanU New Member

The Performance rack seems okay enough, only that, the clamp seems suspect. I have the basic park ps-1, or like name, which has the fold out legs and press down clamp (with has 3 diameter changes). Other park stands I've seen use the same setup. The clamp on mine also rotates 360* so you can clamp on MTB seatposts and downtubes. The Performance stand doesn't seem to have these features. But! What a wonderful price for a stand that you can use at home and on the trail! Park charges an arm and a leg for that configuration :mad: . I bought my ps-1 on ebay for the same price as the performance. ALbeit, it was used. In my opinion, that makes it even better. Hope my opinion helps. Maybe someone has the performance stand and can comment on it directly. Take care, FasterthanU. P.S.- Congratulations on deciding to take the leap into home bicycle repair!

3. lumpy

lumpy New Member

4. Rideastrong

Rideastrong New Member

take a look at the stands form ultimate. They have a good clamp design and are very stable.

5. JustBikeNow

JustBikeNow New Member

FasterThanU... Your very correct. The clamp on the PRO G3 seems a little cheaply made than the Park tool ones. And yes the park tools does cost arm and a leg. But in the long run I hope doing these repairs will save $$ than going to the bike shops.

Lumpy... I was looking at that one too. it looks like it works but to me it looks a little unsturdy. I just wanted this one with the three legs like the Ultimate Elite ones. But thanks for your feedback.

Rideastrong.. Yes I did play around with the Ultimate. The ELITE one has a very nice one-touch clamp design. I really liked it but I can't justify paying $200-239+ tax on it. To me it seem more of a luxury to have than necessity that is why the PRO G3 would be just right at $129 w/tax.

Thanks again guys for your input. By the way since you guys have stands. Which tools do you guys use to repair your bike? I'm thinking of gonig pedro's or park tools but it seems like pedros have a better warranty on their products?

6. litespeedguy

litespeedguy New Member

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Park PRS-15 ???

7. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

I've got the G3, bought it earlier this year. The clamp works fine, although in retrospect I would have prefered a different clamp style (handle type). You can rotate the clamp 360 degrees.... I have mine rotated to hold the bike basically level while the seat post is clamped.

All in all, compared to the prices you have to pay for a comparable Park stand, it's a steal...I'd buy it again.

Good luck with your choice,

John

8. JustBikeNow

JustBikeNow New Member

John,

That's awesome. Now I feel a lot better with my purchase. Yea the clamp style like the park tools is definately easier by one pull instead of turning the knob on the G3. but for $129 out the door... great price and its very sturdy too. I just hope if anything goes wrong, performance bike would take it back under warranty.

9. meehs

meehs New Member

The Park PCS-1 "Home Mechanic" stand is relatively cheap and it's a good stand that'll last you a long time. I have an old one that I've been using regularly for like ten years and it still work fine. Looks like crap but works fine.