Bike stolen in broad daylight, lock questions

jeffreydse

Aug 27, 2004
I had the displeasure of getting my bike stolen the other day. I had it locked up properly in a VERY busy area, and it still dissapeared. I was using a thick cable lock with a combo. It makes me sick that people do this to others.

So I'm out $1k but in the meantime I went and visited the bike shop to look at locks. I ended up walking out of the store with $90 in locks - both Onguard. One is a u lock with an added closed loop cable, and the other is an *extremely* thick shielded cable lock, both with keys.

What kinds of locks do you all use? I plan to use both of these at all times now, even though it means I have to carry a backpack. Are there any techniques for lockup that are better than others? Did I make the right choices of locks to buy?

jeffreydse said:
I had the displeasure of getting my bike stolen the other day. I had it locked up properly in a VERY busy area, and it still dissapeared. I was using a thick cable lock with a combo. It makes me sick that people do this to others.

So I'm out $1k but in the meantime I went and visited the bike shop to look at locks. I ended up walking out of the store with $90 in locks - both Onguard. One is a u lock with an added closed loop cable, and the other is an *extremely* thick shielded cable lock, both with keys.

What kinds of locks do you all use? I plan to use both of these at all times now, even though it means I have to carry a backpack. Are there any techniques for lockup that are better than others? Did I make the right choices of locks to buy?

I think that a dual lock system like you got is about the best you can do reasonably. One U-lock to get the rear wheel and frame, one cable lock to get both wheels and the frame, each with their own lock (not locking the cable to the U-lock). This will require at least twice as long and twice as many tools to break. My cable lock has a mini U-lock to close it.

Super duper would also include a pair of those handcuff type locks because that would require even more tools and time.

But as they say... "If the thief wants it bad enough...."

jeffreydse said:

I know how bad it feels to have a bike that is securely locked in a busy public place to be stolen. It happened to me as well. I've since gotten the bike replaced through insurance (mine was closer to $6K) and I got a Kryptonite New York chain lock for it. No one in a public place would be able to conceal a tool strong enough to cut through one of those links. It stinks that there are theives in our society that violate us be stealing our bikes.

Insight Driver said:
I know how bad it feels to have a bike that is securely locked in a busy public place to be stolen. It happened to me as well. I've since gotten the bike replaced through insurance (mine was closer to $6K) and I got a Kryptonite New York chain lock for it. No one in a public place would be able to conceal a tool strong enough to cut through one of those links. It stinks that there are theives in our society that violate us be stealing our bikes.
Personally I only rely on a lock where I'm leaving the bike for a very short time and can see it all the time. No matter how good the lock is, a determined thief will get it off and steal the bike or expensive parts such as the seat. When I ride to work I take the bike in with me and no one has complained yet. When I'm out just riding I rarely stop and if I do then it's at a place where the bike stays with me or at least is close and visible with a simple steel cable and lock that will slow thieves down enough for me to get there. There are plenty of frames lying around here still chained to something with everything else gone. The parts seem to disappear over about a month with the easy to remove bits going in the first day.

Thieves really detract from cycling. I have to plan in advance around being with my bike the whole time or take the old beater and even then I hate leaving it unattended for long. I've had an expensive bike stolen from home which was covered by my contents insurance, but insurance for away from home is prohibitively expensive, here at least.

it baffles me why lock makers make a strong u-lock then add a stupid cable extension for it. i've used a leatherman to cut the cable on mine, albeit it took a while to do that. as far as those cheapo combo locks, nothing a quick swift blunt blow can't get through. the cable is the weak link and there is no sense in buying a hardened u-lock and putting a cable onto it. if you are going to get something, get to long u-locks rather than a u-lock with a cable.

at any rate, if you have renter's or home owner's insurance, you should file a police report and file an insurance claim.

I filed a police report and insurance is taking care of it. The catch is that my deductible is $500, it was worth $1,000 2 years ago, and they will devalue it to come up with a figure. In other words, in return for my $1,000 bike I will probably be lucky to get $200.

laffingbilly: 2 reasons. First, bigger u-locks are less secure. The more space inside the lock, the more space to fit a jack or other leverage device. I bought a regular size u-lock, but wish I had bought the mini version with thicker steel. I only plan on getting my frame and back wheel through the U. Second, a long, long u-lock does not always guarantee you'll be able to get both tires and the frame through it. Most bike racks I've seen would force you to use the length of the U to reach in some other direction to loop around a pole, etc. such as sidewards.

The ulock I bought is a normal ulock, but also includes a cable to attach through the front tire. This is not as secure as a ulock, but I only see two alternatives. One is taking the front tire off and locking it to the back, and two is to carry a second Ulock. Neither of these are appealling and I'll just take my chances with a (probably) $200 wheel.

Besides, I will now be using an entirely seperate armored cable lock as backup. The mess of cables and U's alone should be enough deterrant to any theif.

Interesting technique on this page http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Wondering what your folk's thoughts are on the idea of only locking the back tire.

jeffreydse said:
Interesting technique on this page http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Wondering what your folk's thoughts are on the idea of only locking the back tire.
It makes a lot of sense. If someone is willing to destroy the back tire or rear triangle to steal your bike, it is worth nothing to them. If the lock can be compromised, it could be done whether or not it is around the seat tube. It also seems logical that of two locks made similarly the smaller one would be less susceptible to leverage attacks.

jeffreydse said:

Sorry about the bike…

Years ago…(possibly 1976) I had an old beater 5 speed road bike that I used while at college. After one class I went back to my bike and someone stopped me and asked, “Is that your bike?” I said yes, and then I was told, “Someone was just trying to steal the bike.” The old piece of chain and a pad lock saved that old bike.

Would I ever leave the bike I have now just locked to a pole (etc..). No.

But if I did have to use a bike, and lock it somewhere, I have an old beater bike, and at least 2 locks (something like you are planning). Kind of sad that you need almost 10 pounds of steel to protect a 20 pound bike. And even then there is no guarantee that the bike will be there when you get back.

The best protection is no lock at all. I never ever leave my bikes out. I always take it inside the building Im going to or leave it with a group a friends Im riding with if I have to stop in for something.

Its a load off my mind.

Besides, DC is notorious for bike thefts.

I take the risk of locking my $3721 Kestrel Talon and $3800 Cervelo Soloist Team. I use those ON GUARD locks now. Hope they never get stolen. If I have to lock my bikes long then I'll just use my cheaper OCR 1, Raleigh Prestige, or TCR Aero 2.

jeffreydse said:

What we need are some reinstated lynching laws for bike rustlers!!! I had a campy equiped Frejeus stolen in 1969 and I'm still ****** about that one. Today I never leave my bike unattended. I will use lock on the bike inside a building, but will never leave it out in public out of sight.

I got a method that might work. Put a sign on the bike that says, "This bike has GPS tracking, You are being watched."

On a serious note, I use Squire Locks. They are really tuff and can't be picked.
There has been so much info out about picking US made locks, (AKA China) that I prefer English made, Squire.
http://www.squireusacyclelocks.com

Jon

since i haven't gotten around to putting together a beater for city riding, i generally take off the front wheel and lock it to the rear triangle with a kryptonite New Yorker Chain. Problem is the chain weighs as much as the bike. i feel like that lock is so hard to get through that a thief will just move on to another bike that is not as secure. But i am still rarely comfortable with leaving the bike anywhere.

while i was waiting to replace a stolen bike, my favorite thing was strapping the new yorker to a beat up huffy road bike, which was 5 sizes too small, from the 80s which probably cost 1/10 what the lock cost.

guys bad news, it appears as if the ny lock is not as safe as we would all hope. I looked it up on the internet and soon found this video of someone demonstrating how to open the lock with a bic pen. this is what he says " technique involved the use of a common, white, plastic-barrel Bic pen. you remove the cap and the tip, including the writing nib and ink storage tube. the remaining plastic cylinder is then inserted into the round-barrel of the Kryptonite lock, mashed down a bit, and turned to open the lock. it so happens that the barrel of the pen is both the correct diameter to fit the lock, and made of plastic of moderate hardness so the body of the pen can deform enough to push into the lock’s tumblers, while retaining adequate rigidity to turn the mechanism"

check it out, decide for yourself.

http://thirdrate.com/kryptonite/:mad:

it appears that the type of lock that this worked with it not in use anymore? am I right?

tyler1212 said:
it appears that the type of lock that this worked with it not in use anymore? am I right?
as far as i know the new mini U-lock that comes with the new yorker is "virtually unpickable" at least i think i read that somewhere. i'll try to find the packaging that came with my lock, which i bought last fall.

i think kryptonite has recalled the lockign mechanism that was so easily picked, but i only heard this from a friend who worked at a shop, so its second hand.

tyler1212 said:
guys bad news, it appears as if the ny lock is not as safe as we would all hope. I looked it up on the internet and soon found this video of someone demonstrating how to open the lock with a bic pen. this is what he says " technique involved the use of a common, white, plastic-barrel Bic pen. you remove the cap and the tip, including the writing nib and ink storage tube. the remaining plastic cylinder is then inserted into the round-barrel of the Kryptonite lock, mashed down a bit, and turned to open the lock. it so happens that the barrel of the pen is both the correct diameter to fit the lock, and made of plastic of moderate hardness so the body of the pen can deform enough to push into the lock’s tumblers, while retaining adequate rigidity to turn the mechanism"

check it out, decide for yourself.

http://thirdrate.com/kryptonite/:mad:

You guys are really lazy who post old information, thinking it is valid. Kryptonite fixed that problem years ago!

I'm no bike thief, but I would guess nothing sez "steal me" quite like a brand new, shiny, brightly-colored, whizzy, latest-stuff, expensive-looking bike.

if a thief is going to risk jail time for taking someone's bike, there'd better be a decent payoff involved, and I'd guess that a nice brand new bike has more value than an old, scratched up "obsolete" model, esp. if it is a no-name brand, or can't easily be identified as Trek, Faggin, Colnago, what have you.

Maybe that's the other half to bike security. Good locks and securing practises, yeah, but not offering a tempting morsel in the first place.

geardad

I had a campy equiped Frejeus stolen in 1969 and I'm still ****** about that one.

hangin's too good for a thief that would steal a clasic frejus!!!

If I'm not riding my bike then it is in my room on the second floor of my house. I've never had a bike stolen. :D