Bike stolen locally

elyob

Guest
Speaking to a bloke in the pub last night, he mentions his bike got nicked
recently. "I just popped into the shop to get some backy and forgot to lock
my bike. I then went to the pub, a few beers later it wasn't there.". No
sh*t, Sherlock.

elyob wrote:

> Speaking to a bloke in the pub last night, he mentions his bike got nicked
> recently. "I just popped into the shop to get some backy and forgot to lock
> my bike. I then went to the pub, a few beers later it wasn't there.". No
> sh*t, Sherlock.

One of our neighbours had their (cheapish) bike stolen a few weeks ago.
We live down a very secluded cul-de-sac, right on the edge of town, so
we were shocked to hear it was such a hotbed of criminal activity.
Coincidentally, it happened one night when he was ****** as a fart,
walking his bike home through the maze of local backstreets cos he
couldn't ride it. The next morning, it wasn't outside his house.

A few days later, walking the exact same route, he found his bike at the
side of the road where the "thieves" had abandoned it.

We still leave our bikes unlocked outside our house :)

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

Sandy Morton wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, James Annan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>One of our neighbours had their (cheapish) bike stolen a few weeks
>>ago.

> I suppose everyone knows the story about the minister who lost his
> bike?

No, but google suggests:

A padre lost his bicycle. He was very distraught and consulted a friend
about what to do.
"It must be a member of your congregation who took it," said his friend.
"Next Sunday after your sermon, read out the ten commandments. When you
come to 'thou shalt not steal', pause and take a good look at the
congregation. The one who stole it will look guilty and you will be able
to spot him."
The following Sunday the friend asked the padre if he had found his bicycle.
"Yes, indeed," replied the padre, "its back with me."
"So you followed my advice and found the guilty man?"
"In a way," replied the padre. "When I came to 'thou shalt not commit
adultery', I suddenly recalled where I had left it."

What do I win?

James
--

Sandy Morton wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, James Annan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>What do I win?

> A free day cycle hire for 4 people on either Christmas or New Years
> Day - consult the CalMac timetable for access.

Very kind. As it happens I am going to a small island for a cycling
holiday this New Year - but the Tokyo-Millport service isn't running
that day, so we are making do with Oshima instead :)

James
--

<[email protected]> wrote:
> As it happens I am going to a small island for a cycling holiday
> this New Year - but the Tokyo-Millport service isn't running that
> day, so we are making do with Oshima instead :)

Have a nice time - I would imagine that the weather might be slightly
better than ours :))

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

James Annan wrote:

> A few days later, walking the exact same route, he found his bike at the
> side of the road where the "thieves" had abandoned it.
>
> We still leave our bikes unlocked outside our house :)

Sigh! That makes me think nostalgically of an idyllic 3 months spent
working in the Shetlands. No need to lock your house or your car, ever.
If only it were like that everywhere. Mind you even the Shetlanders
were yearning for the good old days before the oil brought in all the
soothmoothers.

--
Dave...

"dkahn400" <[email protected]>typed

> Sigh! That makes me think nostalgically of an idyllic 3 months spent
> working in the Shetlands. No need to lock your house or your car, ever.
> If only it were like that everywhere. Mind you even the Shetlanders
> were yearning for the good old days before the oil brought in all the
> soothmoothers.

When were you there? I worked at the Gilbert Bain Hospital from
February-July 1988.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "dkahn400" <[email protected]>typed
>>Sigh! That makes me think nostalgically of an idyllic 3 months spent
>>working in the Shetlands.

> When were you there? I worked at the Gilbert Bain Hospital from
> February-July 1988.

It was just after the Falklands War, so that would be 1982.

--
Dave...

In article <[email protected]>,
dkahn400 ([email protected]) wrote:
> James Annan wrote:
>
> > A few days later, walking the exact same route, he found his bike at the
> > side of the road where the "thieves" had abandoned it.
> >
> > We still leave our bikes unlocked outside our house :)

> Sigh! That makes me think nostalgically of an idyllic 3 months spent
> working in the Shetlands. No need to lock your house or your car, ever.
> If only it were like that everywhere. Mind you even the Shetlanders
> were yearning for the good old days before the oil brought in all the
> soothmoothers.

Someone noted that they could always tell which cars in Battle Mountain
had been rented by BRITONS as they were the only ones which were ever
locked...

Hoc ardur vincere docet.