Bike stolen within hours of being in UK

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, May 9, 2006.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    See http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1771121,00.html


    "Theft puts brakes on round-the-world cyclist "

    "A cyclist who travelled 335,500 miles on the same bike had it stolen within
    hours of arriving in the UK.
    Heinz Stucke had reached Portsmouth, Hampshire, on his continuous voyage -
    which began in 1962 - when his bicycle was stolen as he slept in his tent."

    Sigh... :mad:


    helen s


    --

    ~~
    you may need to remove dependence
    on fame & fortune from organisation
    to get correct email address
    ~Noodliness is Good~
     
    Tags:


  2. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > See http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1771121,00.html
    >
    >
    > "Theft puts brakes on round-the-world cyclist "
    >
    > "A cyclist who travelled 335,500 miles on the same bike had it stolen
    > within hours of arriving in the UK.
    > Heinz Stucke had reached Portsmouth, Hampshire, on his continuous voyage -
    > which began in 1962 - when his bicycle was stolen as he slept in his
    > tent."
    >
    > Sigh... :mad:


    Probably the most unlikely bike to be stolen too. Oh well, let's hope the
    local papers pick up quickly on this and the toerag lets someone know where
    it is.

    Still, it's taking him a long time to get around the world .. started in
    1962 .. will probably get lapped by the walker in Russia.
     
  3. Marz

    Marz Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > See http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1771121,00.html
    >
    >
    > "Theft puts brakes on round-the-world cyclist "
    >
    > "A cyclist who travelled 335,500 miles on the same bike had it stolen within
    > hours of arriving in the UK.
    > Heinz Stucke had reached Portsmouth, Hampshire, on his continuous voyage -
    > which began in 1962 - when his bicycle was stolen as he slept in his tent."
    >
    > Sigh... :mad:
    >
    >
    > helen s
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > ~~
    > you may need to remove dependence
    > on fame & fortune from organisation
    > to get correct email address
    > ~Noodliness is Good~


    I feel sorry for the guy, but I'm not surprised. The UK has to be the
    worst place on the planet for petty crime. Nothing is safe unless it's
    bolted to the ground with a guard dog and some bugger will try and
    pinch the guard dog.

    Laters,

    Marz
     
  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> See http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1771121,00.html


    >
    > Still, it's taking him a long time to get around the world .. started in
    > 1962 .. will probably get lapped by the walker in Russia.


    Now that Karl Bushby has been allowed to continue his 36000 miles walk -
    thanks to the Chelsea football chairman.


    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
     
  5. Squashme

    Squashme Guest

    Marz wrote:
    > wafflycat wrote:
    > > See http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1771121,00.html
    > >
    > >
    > > "Theft puts brakes on round-the-world cyclist "
    > >
    > > "A cyclist who travelled 335,500 miles on the same bike had it stolen within
    > > hours of arriving in the UK.
    > > Heinz Stucke had reached Portsmouth, Hampshire, on his continuous voyage -
    > > which began in 1962 - when his bicycle was stolen as he slept in his tent."
    > >
    > > Sigh... :mad:
    > >
    > >
    > > helen s
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > ~~
    > > you may need to remove dependence
    > > on fame & fortune from organisation
    > > to get correct email address
    > > ~Noodliness is Good~

    >
    > I feel sorry for the guy, but I'm not surprised. The UK has to be the
    > worst place on the planet for petty crime. Nothing is safe unless it's
    > bolted to the ground with a guard dog and some bugger will try and
    > pinch the guard dog.
    >


    "Britain can take it" (wartime slogan and film title)
     
  6. Marz wrote:
    > I feel sorry for the guy, but I'm not surprised. The UK has to be the
    > worst place on the planet for petty crime.


    Yeah. I was in Mogadishu the other day, and everyone left their bikes
    unlocked all over the place. Port Harcourt: everyone left the keys in the
    ignition of their Mercedes. And in the favelas in Rio, people were leaving
    their windows open so that the nice sea breeze could get in, as despite the
    fact that it's getting late into autumn, it's still pretty hot there.
    --
    Ambrose
     
  7. ian henden

    ian henden Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > See http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1771121,00.html
    >
    >
    > "Theft puts brakes on round-the-world cyclist "
    >
    > "A cyclist who travelled 335,500 miles on the same bike had it stolen
    > within hours of arriving in the UK.
    > Heinz Stucke had reached Portsmouth, Hampshire, on his continuous voyage -
    > which began in 1962 - when his bicycle was stolen as he slept in his
    > tent."
    >
    > Sigh... :mad:


    Only 200 yards from Kingston Crescent Police Station.... but they did say
    they might let him have a bike from their unclaimed found cycles store....
    not much of a consolation, his bike was 44 years old and almost a museum
    piece, he was certainly attached to it. (no pun intended)

    http://www.thenews.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=455&ArticleID=1490949
    has the story as reported locally

    IanH
     
  8. ian henden

    ian henden Guest

  9. ian henden

    ian henden Guest

  10. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    >
    > Is found!
    >
    > See
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4755973.stm
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    "That bike has sentimental value. In the past I have cycled
    up to 100 kilometres a day on it"

    Interesting that such a travelled man goes on record with
    "up to" such a modest daily total. Mildly surprising if
    it's literally true, but it does seem to suggest he's never
    gone in for silly distances.

    --
    not me guv
     
  11. Budstaff

    Budstaff Guest

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Marz wrote:
    >> I feel sorry for the guy, but I'm not surprised. The UK has to be the
    >> worst place on the planet for petty crime.

    >
    > Yeah. I was in Mogadishu the other day, and everyone left their bikes
    > unlocked all over the place. Port Harcourt: everyone left the keys in the
    > ignition of their Mercedes. And in the favelas in Rio, people were leaving
    > their windows open so that the nice sea breeze could get in, as despite
    > the fact that it's getting late into autumn, it's still pretty hot there.
    > --
    > Ambrose

    ROTFL!
    A bit of perspective is always welcome, avoids the group sounding like the
    pensions queue at the Post Office...
     
  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Nick Kew wrote:

    > Interesting that such a travelled man goes on record with
    > "up to" such a modest daily total. Mildly surprising if
    > it's literally true, but it does seem to suggest he's never
    > gone in for silly distances.


    Not in a single day, perhaps, but a lot of small distances add up. It's
    still much quicker than walking.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  13. Chris Armstrong

    Chris Armstrong New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2005
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
    I thought I read on his website that he did a massive mileage in one day - IIRC it was across a desert in Syria with a good following wind.
     
  14. "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "That bike has sentimental value. In the past I have cycled
    > up to 100 kilometres a day on it"


    > Interesting that such a travelled man goes on record with
    > "up to" such a modest daily total. Mildly surprising if
    > it's literally true, but it does seem to suggest he's never
    > gone in for silly distances.


    I met Heinz in Paris in the summer of 1999. I remember him mentioning
    considerably greater daily distances when conditions allowed.

    He's not a "round-the-world cyclist" in the conventional sense. He simply
    left home 40+ years ago and has never gone back. He's sometimes left his
    bike in storage for extended periods while travelling by other means.

    James Thomson
     
Loading...
Loading...