Bike Stuff 4 Sale Photos



R

Robert Chung

Guest
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On 4 May 2004 11:32:27 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
>> I read the whole thread and all it did about the definition of a
>> "FRED" was, to paraphrase a famous person from history, make it a
>> mystery shrouded in an enigma surrounded by a puzzle.

>
> Exactly. Wasn't it fun though?


Nostalgic. I liked that reference to Metcalfe's 1994 Mt. Hamilton RR when
Richley (aka recreational/tourist twit) passed him. That was a pretty
amusing thread.
 
R

Richard Adams

Guest
Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 4 May 2004 04:49:53 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
> >3. FRED? My email is [email protected] Always willing to
> >learn. How do you define a FRED?

>
> http://groups.google.com/[email protected]


Interesting definition by way of anecdote.

I'd suggest a couple others justifying the Fred label.

Someone who goes out and buys everything of their favorite rider
and/or team (could apply to any sport really) and believes that
automatically justifies some recognition as a master player of the
sport.

Or..

Another anecdote:

On last Sunday's group ride there final up-hill stretch where myself
and a few other riders got dropped. I know I'm not able to maintain
the pace of the group hammers so, knowing the particular grade well, I
establish a steady tempo I know can get me home quick enough, and
without unnecessary suffering. I pick up an older rider immediately
and for the most part he remains on my wheel as we approach another
pair dropped by the group. They attach to my back wheel, too and we
proceed up the grade, occasionally one or another comes up to take a
pull but fade after a few turns and I resume the position at the
front. I'm not out to drop anyone and am fine with the others
drafting, it's not a race as far as I'm concerned. Most of the
remaining miles go like this, though I find one rider did drop off
somewhere (could have taken a different route home for all I know.)
We catch up to another dropped rider about a mile to the end and he
latches on to the train, we'll call him 'F' After turning off the
main road we catch up to some of the leaders who are waiting for us
and proceed towards a last tiny hill. As we're slowly going up, 'F'
comes sprinting past everyone for the sign at the top of the hill
(once there he eased off.) It seemed utterly silly and pointless.

The older fellow I rode up with and who managed to follow the tempo
and take a few pulls was a former pro, who once won the San Bruno
Hillclimb. Definitely a classy rider, no silly stunts and no bad
words about anyone else, the kind of rider I'd prefer to be among,
rather than the last minute Hot-Dog or those who can't take a turn and
gripe about others riding. (I don't know what went on behind me, but
I guess the old pro took the best positions on my wheel to draft and
another rider didn't like it.)
 
C

Carl Sundquist

Guest
"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > On 4 May 2004 04:49:53 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
> > >3. FRED? My email is [email protected] Always willing to
> > >learn. How do you define a FRED?

> >


>What happens to used Euro team cars? I'm sure engines and gearboxes are
>thrashed by the end of a season (driving for six hours in second and third
>gear, etc), but I always thought it would be cool to get one cheap and

throw in
>a new engine and gearbox. These days, all the stage races have their own

car
>sponsor (teams get car usage during TdF, Giro, Vuelta), what happens to

these
>after the races? Anyone know? Bruce? Brian?
>
>
> Albright responded:
>
> If you could pull that off, then you would without a doubt be the Supreme
> Ruler of All Freds, no one could touch you. You could laugh at the puny

little
> freds who just wear a world champs jersey or the Limar Mapei helmet or who

don't
> shave their legs. You would be untouchable. I can picture it now: you

pull up to
> your next ride in your Saeco team car, step out of the car all kitted up,

and take
> your team issue Cannondale off the roof. You would be the man!


Otherwise, just Google author: Albright exact phrase: Fred
 
G

gwhite

Guest
Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 4 May 2004 11:32:27 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
> >I read the whole thread and all it did about the definition of a
> >"FRED" was, to paraphrase a famous person from history, make it a
> >mystery shrouded in an enigma surrounded by a puzzle.

>
> Exactly. Wasn't it fun though?


I thought Verheul's definition was also required rbr reading? I guess it's "old."

http://tinyurl.com/3xqcc
 
R

Richard Adams

Guest
Carl Sundquist wrote:
> "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message

>
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>On 4 May 2004 04:49:53 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
>>>
>>>>3. FRED? My email is [email protected] Always willing to
>>>>learn. How do you define a FRED?
>>>


[Carl Sundquist post from Jan 20, 2003, soon to be printed in new book:
The Best of rbr; Sundquist, Carl et al; VeloPress 2004]

>>What happens to used Euro team cars? I'm sure engines and gearboxes are
>>thrashed by the end of a season (driving for six hours in second and third
>>gear, etc), but I always thought it would be cool to get one cheap and throw in
>>a new engine and gearbox. These days, all the stage races have their own car
>>sponsor (teams get car usage during TdF, Giro, Vuelta), what happens to these
>>after the races? Anyone know? Bruce? Brian?
>>
>>Albright responded:
>>
>>If you could pull that off, then you would without a doubt be the Supreme
>>Ruler of All Freds, no one could touch you. You could laugh at the puny little
>>freds who just wear a world champs jersey or the Limar Mapei helmet or who don't
>>shave their legs. You would be untouchable. I can picture it now: you pull up to
>>your next ride in your Saeco team car, step out of the car all kitted up, and take
>>your team issue Cannondale off the roof. You would be the man!


> Otherwise, just Google author: Albright exact phrase: Fred


Man, threw me for a loop, I was trying to figure out the thread and how
this all got under my name. Good post and funny, despite the fact I
ride a Mapei Colnago ;-)
 
B

Benjamin Weiner

Guest
Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> > On 4 May 2004 11:32:27 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
> >> I read the whole thread and all it did about the definition of a
> >> "FRED" was, to paraphrase a famous person from history, make it a
> >> mystery shrouded in an enigma surrounded by a puzzle.

> >
> > Exactly. Wasn't it fun though?


> Nostalgic. I liked that reference to Metcalfe's 1994 Mt. Hamilton RR when
> Richley (aka recreational/tourist twit) passed him. That was a pretty
> amusing thread.


Brilliant. In honor of its tenth anniversary:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]