Bike Stuff 4 Sale Photos

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On 4 May 2004 11:32:27 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
>> I read the whole thread and all it did about the
>> definition of a "FRED" was, to paraphrase a famous person
>> from history, make it a mystery shrouded in an enigma
>> surrounded by a puzzle.
>
> Exactly. Wasn't it fun though?

Nostalgic. I liked that reference to Metcalfe's 1994 Mt.
Hamilton RR when Richley (aka recreational/tourist twit)
passed him. That was a pretty amusing thread.

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 4 May 2004 04:49:53 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
> >3. FRED? My email is [email protected] Always
> > willing to learn. How do you define a FRED?
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3n6kd0%24cek%40overl-
> oad.lbl.gov

Interesting definition by way of anecdote.

I'd suggest a couple others justifying the Fred label.

Someone who goes out and buys everything of their favorite
rider and/or team (could apply to any sport really) and
believes that automatically justifies some recognition as a
master player of the sport.

Or..

Another anecdote:

On last Sunday's group ride there final up-hill stretch
where myself and a few other riders got dropped. I know I'm
not able to maintain the pace of the group hammers so,
knowing the particular grade well, I establish a steady
tempo I know can get me home quick enough, and without
unnecessary suffering. I pick up an older rider immediately
and for the most part he remains on my wheel as we approach
another pair dropped by the group. They attach to my back
wheel, too and we proceed up the grade, occasionally one or
another comes up to take a pull but fade after a few turns
and I resume the position at the front. I'm not out to drop
anyone and am fine with the others drafting, it's not a race
as far as I'm concerned. Most of the remaining miles go like
this, though I find one rider did drop off somewhere (could
have taken a different route home for all I know.) We catch
up to another dropped rider about a mile to the end and he
latches on to the train, we'll call him 'F' After turning
off the main road we catch up to some of the leaders who are
waiting for us and proceed towards a last tiny hill. As
we're slowly going up, 'F' comes sprinting past everyone for
the sign at the top of the hill (once there he eased off.)
It seemed utterly silly and pointless.

The older fellow I rode up with and who managed to follow
the tempo and take a few pulls was a former pro, who once
won the San Bruno Hillclimb. Definitely a classy rider, no
silly stunts and no bad words about anyone else, the kind of
rider I'd prefer to be among, rather than the last minute
Hot-Dog or those who can't take a turn and gripe about
others riding. (I don't know what went on behind me, but I
guess the old pro took the best positions on my wheel to
draft and another rider didn't like it.)

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > On 4 May 2004 04:49:53 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
> > >3. FRED? My email is [email protected] Always
> > > willing to learn. How do you define a FRED?
> >

>What happens to used Euro team cars? I'm sure engines and
>gearboxes are thrashed by the end of a season (driving for
>six hours in second and third gear, etc), but I always
>thought it would be cool to get one cheap and
throw in
>a new engine and gearbox. These days, all the stage races
>have their own
car
>sponsor (teams get car usage during TdF, Giro, Vuelta),
>what happens to
these
>after the races? Anyone know? Bruce? Brian?
>

> Albright responded:
>
> If you could pull that off, then you would without a doubt
> be the Supreme Ruler of All Freds, no one could touch you.
> You could laugh at the puny
little
> freds who just wear a world champs jersey or the Limar
> Mapei helmet or who
don't
> shave their legs. You would be untouchable. I can picture
> it now: you
pull up to
> your next ride in your Saeco team car, step out of the car
> all kitted up,
and take
> your team issue Cannondale off the roof. You would be
> the man!

Otherwise, just Google author: Albright exact phrase: Fred

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 4 May 2004 11:32:27 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
> >I read the whole thread and all it did about the
> >definition of a "FRED" was, to paraphrase a famous person
> >from history, make it a mystery shrouded in an enigma
> >surrounded by a puzzle.
>
> Exactly. Wasn't it fun though?

I thought Verheul's definition was also required rbr
reading? I guess it's "old."

http://tinyurl.com/3xqcc

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:<[email protected]>...

[Carl Sundquist post from Jan 20, 2003, soon to be printed
in new book: The Best of rbr; Sundquist, Carl et al;
VeloPress 2004]

>>What happens to used Euro team cars? I'm sure engines and
>>gearboxes are thrashed by the end of a season (driving for
>>six hours in second and third gear, etc), but I always
>>thought it would be cool to get one cheap and throw in a
>>new engine and gearbox. These days, all the stage races
>>have their own car sponsor (teams get car usage during
>>TdF, Giro, Vuelta), what happens to these after the races?
>>Anyone know? Bruce? Brian?
>>
>>Albright responded:
>>
>>If you could pull that off, then you would without a doubt
>>be the Supreme Ruler of All Freds, no one could touch you.
>>You could laugh at the puny little freds who just wear a
>>world champs jersey or the Limar Mapei helmet or who don't
>>shave their legs. You would be untouchable. I can picture
>>it now: you pull up to your next ride in your Saeco team
>>car, step out of the car all kitted up, and take your team
>>issue Cannondale off the roof. You would be the man!

> Otherwise, just Google author: Albright exact phrase: Fred

Man, threw me for a loop, I was trying to figure out the
thread and how this all got under my name. Good post and
funny, despite the fact I ride a Mapei Colnago ;-)

Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> > On 4 May 2004 11:32:27 -0700, Joe Keenan wrote:
> >> I read the whole thread and all it did about the
> >> definition of a "FRED" was, to paraphrase a famous
> >> person from history, make it a mystery shrouded in an
> >> enigma surrounded by a puzzle.
> >
> > Exactly. Wasn't it fun though?

> Nostalgic. I liked that reference to Metcalfe's 1994 Mt.
> Hamilton RR when Richley (aka recreational/tourist twit)
> passed him. That was a pretty amusing thread.

Brilliant. In honor of its tenth anniversary:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2secgm%24kug%40usenet.-
INS.CWRU.Edu