Bike suggestions for a big guy

Photo hog

Feb 15, 2013
So I'm 6'4 360lbs and I'm looking for a bike for fitness. I'm built like an offensive lineman so there is muscle along with fat in my frame. I figure a road bike is out of the question but was hoping maybe a hybrid or I guess a mountain bike wouldn't be out of the question. My budget is right at $1000 and this includes money for helmet and other accessories needed to ride safely or comfortably. I'm not against buying used but I'm not knowledgable at all in bike repair or upkeep aside from a chain lube. I plan to use this for fitness and on the road as much as possible. The reason for the road is I have a 3 year old that I plan to pull in one of those POD trailers. That is the only way I will have the chance to ride consistently is by taking my daughter with me. Any advise would be great. Not that there aren't good people at LBS I just don't always trust what someone tells me when I directly affect the cash flow into their pocket lol. Thanks for any advise.

ok your case is a bit extreme, i normally know that a good bike can handle lots of weight and abuse, but 360 pounds is a bit on another level, please contact directly different brands and see what kinds of weight limits they have on their bike models,

Thanks vspa for your reply. I contacted Trek, Specialized and Giant and of the 3 Giant was the only on to get back with me. They recommended their Roam XR2 as maybe the only bike to fit my needs and even then I might need custom wheels. That bike retail is higher than my current budget and I'm guessing custom wheels won't be cheap. So I was hoping a fellow big man might have some advise for me. I really don't want to result to a beach cruiser as I'm not sure it will help me get to the fitness goals I have. I'm still at my current size a pretty active and if not for my poor knees I'd continue to jog.

well it is a good looking bike, alumium, disc brakes, good groupset, the wheels they are talking about are most probably 36 spokes front and rear, laced 3x, those are the best for heavy riders and they are easier to maintain, for 1 K dollars is good value, p.s. the wheels as they are are quite good, 32 spokes (which is the next best for you) with 14g spokes, those are strong wide spokes, with the bike as it is you can get started, no problem