Bike suggestions for heavy rider

reich17

Aug 4, 2004
I'm looking to buy an entry level road bike. It will be used for commuting and possibly an occasional race. I'm concerned about finding a bike that will handle my 225lb 6'4" frame. Any specific bikes come to mind in the $800-$900 range?

Thanks

reich17 said:
I'm looking to buy an entry level road bike. It will be used for commuting and possibly an occasional race. I'm concerned about finding a bike that will handle my 225lb 6'4" frame. Any specific bikes come to mind in the $800-$900 range?

Thanks

I'm 6'5" and my Trek 1200 is fine for me. A mate of mine has another trek and he is 6.6". I think you just need to check out the spec of the wheels in particular. Ask your dealer what weight they can handle.

John Picton said:
I'm 6'5" and my Trek 1200 is fine for me. A mate of mine has another trek and he is 6.6". I think you just need to check out the spec of the wheels in particular. Ask your dealer what weight they can handle.
How long have you had your 1200? Did you upgrade the wheels or keep them stock? Thanks.

reich17 said:
How long have you had your 1200? Did you udgrade the wheels or keep them stock? Thanks.

Had it about 3 months now, with stock wheels (Alex rims). I've also been over some fairly badly surfaced roads on them and they are still as true as the day I got them.

I think that if I went for lighter wheels with less spokes then I may have a problem, but for me it's a good light bike and it works. If you wanted a cheaper one then I think the 1000 may come with the same rims, but the Trek website could help you there. If you email Trek with your query they always respond very quickly.