Bike suggestions / opinons / recomendations

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by craig d, Oct 26, 2012.

1. craig d

craig d New Member

I'm almost 40 years old, 210 lbs, 5' 7"(ish), until recently i haven't really ridden in over 20 years.

I decided a month or so ago that I wanted to tride cycling again, get a little exercise, enjoy the outdoors, and try a hobby I loved years ago.

My plans at the time were to mainly ride parks and trails so I purchased a Schwinn mountain bike.It was great - exactly what I wanted .... then I figured outt hat the parks and trails weren't nearly long enough for me to ride the distance i wanted to ride without getting bored of seeing the same section of path 2-3 times - so I started riding on the roads as well. Swapped out the nobby tires for more "road friendly" tires and have begun using the bike to commute back and forth to work (about 7 miles each way). Now after only a month I'm no longer happy with my bike for road use (but would like to keep it for mountain biking and riding parks with the kids) so I'm already looking to upgrade.

The world of road bikes has changed a sh*t ton since I last owned a "10 speed". I'm really looking for something that I can ride distances with comfortably, use for commuting, and hopefully get myself in to a little better shape to start doing charity type rides / races next year.

I THINK I have figured out that I want nothing less that Shimano Tiagra shifters, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I'm going to have to stick with aluminum as carbon is just waaaay to expensive. I'm hoping to keep price to about $600.

I'm looking now at the GT GTR 3.0, the Fuji Newest 3.0, and the Scattante R340 (Performance Bicycles house brand).

Any opinions, insight, advice, reccomendations, or warnings would be GREATLY aprpeciated. I'm already having difficulties getting the wife to understand why I'm upgrading already - I don't want to have this conversation again in another year.

Thanks,
    Craig

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

the GT GTR 3.0 hands down, it has a 10 speed drivetrain while the two others have 8 speed, which is becoming obsolete (adressing your concern for future upgrades among the obvious benefits), it also has a compact 50/34 crankset, very appropriate for your current weight and bikeless years, 32 spokes rear wheel also good for the weight issue, nice discount though all three of them benefit from that, im a bit unsure about the size you should order: either SMALL or MEDIUM, please double check on that,

3. ginachen

ginachen New Member

hello guy you know you are so happiness because you have your own hobby and dream and can get it.
    I think I can help you maybe. I know a high quality carbon bike frame many of my friends like it because its high quality and reasonable price.You know carbon frame is always really expensive this frame only need US$365.I have one by my own.its really nice.It can match 10 speed Shimano.The most important its very light.you can choose BSA or BB30 about the bottom bracket.

4. printingray

printingray New Member

I also prefer carbon frame due to its durability and light weight. Your bike looks smart as compared to others. Although its a little bit expensive but worth a lot as it remains safe from rust and best for mountain adventure.

rafaelsmall94 likes this.
  5. rafaelsmall94

rafaelsmall94 New Member

BSA will also look good as per your requirement. I will say go for a sturdy one instead of a price cut tag. Enjoy your adventure and don't forget to post the pics here. I would also suggest to check out some deals or range at online salvage bike auctions deals, you may get lucky.