Bike suggestions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Geoff Bowles, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Geoff Bowles

    Geoff Bowles Guest

    I'm looking for a new road bike to replace my 20 year old 531 racer, and have started visiting bike
    shops to see what's available. Most of my rides are fast solo 2-4 hour rides on country roads (e.g
    Mendips, Chilterns) and I expect to find what I want for £600 to £800. I don't actually race but do
    enjoy the feel of a fast, responsive bike

    One of my local shops sells road-bikes by Bianchi and Scott, and the other sells Specialized and
    Trek. They are good shops, so it doesn't seem worth going elsewhere or buying mail order

    Are there any big differences between the quality and feel of these manufacturers' frames, or is it
    just down to colour and spec?

    Geoff

    Tags:

  2. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Don't take this as a definitive answer (because it isn't) but for me, I'd buy the one I liked the
    most. Wouldn't imagine there's much between them.

    Regards, Jim.

    "Geoff Bowles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:g%[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a new road bike to replace my 20 year old 531 racer, and have started visiting
    > bike shops to see what's available. Most of my rides are fast solo 2-4 hour rides on country roads
    > (e.g Mendips, Chilterns) and
    > expect to find what I want for £600 to £800. I don't actually race but do enjoy the feel of a
    > fast, responsive bike
    >
    > One of my local shops sells road-bikes by Bianchi and Scott, and the other sells Specialized and
    > Trek. They are good shops, so it doesn't seem worth going elsewhere or buying mail order
    >
    > Are there any big differences between the quality and feel of these manufacturers' frames, or is
    > it just down to colour and spec?
    >
    > Geoff

  3. I was in an identical situation to you and bought a new bike at Christmas, I got a 2001 spec Scott
    Expert, reduced for 580 to 480 on account of last years model, I think the spec is actually better
    than the 2003 model.

    Extremley pleased with it, the triple chain set is very useful on some steep hills near me. I am
    not an expert but would suggest that any aluminium 7005 frame, steel forks and Sora otr Tiagra
    gears from any reputable manufacturer would do the job very well. However 105 would be nicer if you
    can afford
    it. You MUST get SPD pedals (or similar) and shoes to get the full benefit of the bike. Extra
    cost of using your local shops over mail order is extremely good value for the service and
    advice you get

    Kevin "Geoff Bowles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:g%[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a new road bike to replace my 20 year old 531 racer, and have started visiting
    > bike shops to see what's available. Most of my rides are fast solo 2-4 hour rides on country roads
    > (e.g Mendips, Chilterns) and
    > expect to find what I want for £600 to £800. I don't actually race but do enjoy the feel of a
    > fast, responsive bike
    >
    > One of my local shops sells road-bikes by Bianchi and Scott, and the other sells Specialized and
    > Trek. They are good shops, so it doesn't seem worth going elsewhere or buying mail order
    >
    > Are there any big differences between the quality and feel of these manufacturers' frames, or is
    > it just down to colour and spec?
    >
    > Geoff

  4. >Don't take this as a definitive answer (because it isn't) but for me, I'd buy the one I liked the
    >most. Wouldn't imagine there's much between them.

    Seems sensible :) I have a Bianchi San Remo and love it.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Geoff Bowles

    Geoff Bowles Guest

    Thanks. I don't need convincing about SPDs as I've been using them on both my mountain and road
    bikes for many years, albeit with just one pair of Shimano M-055 mountain biking shoes for both
    bikes. I'll probably get get some "proper" road shoes if and when I buy the new road bike, so may go
    for Look or one of the newer alternatives to SPD

    As for the bike, I'm inclined towards Campag equipment, since I'm old enough to remember pre-Shimano
    days, when Campag was what we all aspired to. In fact the "Gran Sport" rear derailleur on my 20yr
    old bike is still working perfectly! I have retrofiitted a Shimano 105 front derailleur and brakes
    on my old bike, and they look good and work well, but I've reecently had a bad experience trying
    unsuccessfully to fit a Shimano 105 headset that was supposed to fit a standard 1" threaded fork,
    but didn't.- it's a long story. I now have trashed forks, so I'm a bit anti-Shimano at the moment!!!

    Still, it's fun reading the brochures and comparing specs, and models from Bianchi and Scott head my
    shortlist just now. I feel a visit to the bike shop and a couple of test rides coming on.....

    Geoff

    news:[email protected]...