Looking for a route to ride to work, or looking to find a safe road ride? Have you ever thought about riding your bike to the mountain bike trail instead of driving? The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) has some great bike suitability maps on their website to help you out with your road route. This is a very extensive set of maps that covers all the counties inside the perimeter and many outside of it. They've created the maps using the ArcGIS suite, so they are fairly advanced. There is an online color version with zoom capability that you can view with Acrobat reader. Select the county map you're interested in and be sure to go to page 2 in order to see the detailed map. The roads are color coded green, yellow, and orange based on how safe the roads are for biking. Green roads are the safest and orange are the most difficult. Here is the link to the online county maps. (http://www.atlantaregional.com/transportationair/bikepedmaps.html)
I've used the maps for several big rides and commuting routes, and found them very useful. Using the maps I was able to find a route from Perimeter Mall up to the Big Creek trails in Alpharetta. The one thing that I feel the maps are missing is that they don't show some of the smaller cut through roads. The maps tend to focus more on the major roads that are usually plagued with Atlanta traffic. I like the roads detail on the Emory bike suitability map. If you live near or around Emory this is a great resource. (http://www.epcs.emory.edu/AltTransp/MapBike_Suitability.pdf.)
I'm currently working on a bike mapping software. This stuff is really advanced, and will allow users to enter a beginning and ending address for a Mapquest like display of the safest bike route. The prototype will cover the same roads as the Emory bike suitability map, but our goal is to cover the same counties that the ARC has already mapped. This is a big initiative but I think it will be a powerful tool in giving Atlanta residents an option other than sitting in a car in traffic.
I'm currently working on a bike mapping software. This stuff is
really
Quoted message said:
advanced, and will allow users to enter a beginning and ending
address
Quoted message said:
for a Mapquest like display of the safest bike route. The prototype will cover the same roads as the Emory bike suitability map, but our goal is to cover the same counties that the ARC has already mapped. This is a big initiative but I think it will be a powerful tool in giving Atlanta residents an option other than sitting in a car in traffic.
Check out the software mentioned in this thread: On-line bike mapping, begun Jan 26.
I've seen the bike mapping site mentionened in the on-line bike mapping thread started on Jan. 26th. It looks real good, but the maps only cover California. Any Georgia/Atlanta initiatives other than mine?
Veloise said:
Atlbike wrote: ...
Quoted message said:
I'm currently working on a bike mapping software. This stuff is
really
Quoted message said:
advanced, and will allow users to enter a beginning and ending
address
Quoted message said:
for a Mapquest like display of the safest bike route. The prototype will cover the same roads as the Emory bike suitability map, but
our
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
goal is to cover the same counties that the ARC has already mapped. This is a big initiative but I think it will be a powerful tool in giving Atlanta residents an option other than sitting in a car in traffic.
Check out the software mentioned in this thread: On-line bike mapping, begun Jan 26.