Bike Swap Meet this weekend?

cfsmtb

Guest
hi, searching for info on a bike swap meet that's apparentely happening
in Melbourne this w/k. Sat or Sun?

It's shaping up to be a big bike weekend, kicking off with CM8, then
Melb Cup on Wheels + this proposed swap meet.

cool.:p

--

"cfsmtb" <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi, searching for info on a bike swap meet that's apparentely

happening
> in Melbourne this w/k. Sat or Sun?

Can't find anything on this...

> It's shaping up to be a big bike weekend, kicking off with CM8, then
> Melb Cup on Wheels + this proposed swap meet.

Are you going to the MCoW?
Blackburn has been pushing it a bit. I wouldn't mind
seeing some track racing. It's a good oppurtunity for
some action photography too...

hippy

ja, weather & $$$ permitting, we will be attending. Track racing is a
bit beyond me (ie: participation), but it's a great spectator sport.
Yes, standing out in the "bar" having a few quiet little drinks, the
perfect PubBUG event! Ans not forgetting next w/k, Kona 24. Prep? oh,
don't ask me difficult questions.....

--

On 28 Nov 2003 11:30:13 +1050, cfsmtb <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic>
wrote:

>hi, searching for info on a bike swap meet that's apparentely happening
>in Melbourne this w/k. Sat or Sun?
>
>It's shaping up to be a big bike weekend, kicking off with CM8, then
>Melb Cup on Wheels + this proposed swap meet.

Allow me to fill you guys in!

It's on at the Bike Bar in Fitzroy, at 47 Chapel St (between Brunswick
and Smith, one street south of Johnston). Set up your stalls for free
at 8am on Sunday. Doors open to buyers from 9 am to 1 pm.

According to the flyer it's the first one in Melbourne ever, which I
find quite suprising!
---
DFM

Its not the 1st, blackburn cycling club held one in 2001 and I am sure
there have been others.

They have just moved from Sydney according to their own hype so how
would they know?

--

"cfsmtb" <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ja, weather & $$$ permitting, we will be attending. Track racing is a
> bit beyond me (ie: participation), but it's a great spectator sport.

I can confirm this! :) That was some damn good racing I saw last night.
Danny Clarke, 50-something, just kept going and going.. if he didn't win
he placed - the man is a legend!
Some nasty crashes in the women's racing, but everyone _seemed_ ok.
The neck-and-neck finish with Jobie Dajka, Mark French and I think
Shane Kelly? was awesome to watch! I can't believe how much time
these guys spend looking behind themselves to watch for an attack..
Their bike handling skills are awesome to say the least.

> Yes, standing out in the "bar" having a few quiet little drinks, the
> perfect PubBUG event! Ans not forgetting next w/k, Kona 24. Prep? oh,
> don't ask me difficult questions.....

hehe.. okay, how about: Have you got a bike? Have you chilled beer?

hippy

"Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in
message
> It's on at the Bike Bar in Fitzroy, at 47 Chapel St (between Brunswick
> and Smith, one street south of Johnston). Set up your stalls for free
> at 8am on Sunday. Doors open to buyers from 9 am to 1 pm.

I scored:
- Front and Rear Tioga Factory XC $10ea
- Vee brake levers $5ea (no shifter pods - for the SS!)
- Mongoose bmx pedals $10
- Two sets Deore vee calipers $20
- Shimano carbon-fibre brake booster $10

Who actually ran and organised this thing? It was pretty cool!
I'd like to see some more of them happen - especially if it was
promoted a bit more and more sellers turned up.

hippy
Anyone want to buy a Brooks leather saddle? Look pedals?

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:33:13 +1100, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Deep Freud Moors" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in
> message
>> It's on at the Bike Bar in Fitzroy, at 47 Chapel St (between Brunswick
>> and Smith, one street south of Johnston). Set up your stalls for free
>> at 8am on Sunday. Doors open to buyers from 9 am to 1 pm.

Any full bikes? Happening on a regular basis from now on?

"Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Any full bikes? Happening on a regular basis from now on?

There were a few complete bikes. Road and mtb as
well as frames, wheels and all the other **** people
attach to bikes ;)

I'm not sure if it is being done again (hope so!) but
I did get an application form for a Bike Bar
newsletter - whatever that is.. they should've put
an email address on it for slackers like me who
wont post stuff via snail mail.

hippy

PiledHigher wrote:
> Its not the 1st, blackburn cycling club held one in 2001 and I am sure
> there have been others.
> They have just moved from Sydney according to their own hype so how
> would they know?

Went down to the swap meet and found about 20-30 friendly people set up.
There were a hand full road bikes, a few frames, but mostly parts for
sale. Pricing seemed cheap and even negotiable.

powinc

--

Hippy wrote:
> [BI can confirm this! :) That was some damn good racing I saw last
> night. Danny Clarke, 50-something, just kept going and going.. if he
> didn't win he placed - the man is a legend! Some nasty crashes in the
> women's racing, but everyone _seemed_ ok.
> hehe.. okay, how about: Have you got a bike? Have you chilled
> beer? hippy

Hmm, the most terrifying point of the evening was for me when I thought
the bar had run out of full-strength beer by 8.45pm.:rolleyes: Danny
Clark is living proof Tasmanians peak late, and hopefully there will be
chilled beer at Kona 24 this coming weekend.

The swap meet was great, did the usual swap meet style two laps, third
lap, start picking over stuff. Hope the Bike Bar organise it again,
hmmm, maybe with a "Sunday cruise" in the arvo. Wear your Sunday best,
chilled out ride somewhere, go to pub/cafe for food & refreshments.

--

"cfsmtb" <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hmm, the most terrifying point of the evening was for me when I

thought
> the bar had run out of full-strength beer by 8.45pm.:rolleyes:

It was a terrifying moment for all involved.. an amazing twist of fate
that prevented a much more dire outcome.. it warms the heart to
see such self-sacrifice to save another human being.. I thank the
lord... that they had more real beer.

> Clark is living proof Tasmanians peak late, and hopefully there will

be
> chilled beer at Kona 24 this coming weekend.

Do you know if we are allowed to take our own beer-type supplies?
Esky + Slab = Fun type thing...?

> The swap meet was great, did the usual swap meet style two laps, third
> lap, start picking over stuff. Hope the Bike Bar organise it again,
> hmmm, maybe with a "Sunday cruise" in the arvo. Wear your Sunday best,
> chilled out ride somewhere, go to pub/cafe for food & refreshments.

'ere 'ere!!

hippy

Blackburn is planning another Swap Meet to coincide with the Australia
Day Madison (26/1/04).

By the way, haven't seen you at track training/racing, Hippy......

--

"Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Blackburn is planning another Swap Meet to coincide with the Australia
> Day Madison (26/1/04).

Cool!

> By the way, haven't seen you at track training/racing, Hippy......

Doh, busted!
I've been slack. I really don't like having to drive to ride
and I still haven't rigged up brakes on another fork for
the NotAGibson. Gotta try and keep the gf happy too,
hence dinner tonight. Maybe Thursday's novice session?

All poor excuses I know.. I've just got to get pumped
and get into it.

hippy

Hippy, I was there with my bike too, the singlespeed.

Did you have a stall?

I sold some Maguras, a Silca pump, a bke carrier, some shoes and tubes.

Picked up a Flight saddle, lots of tyres, some AC cranks, carbon
barends....

--

"onegeargimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hippy, I was there with my bike too, the singlespeed.

Hmm.. there were a few SS bikes there, most not for sale
unfortunately :)

Did you see the $650 Spot frame?

> Did you have a stall?

Nah, I took some bits with me to sell, but couldn't be bothered
waiting around all morning in the hope that someone wanted 'em.

> I sold some Maguras, a Silca pump, a bke carrier, some shoes and

tubes.

Were you in the smaller alley, off the "main" alley?
What sort of bike is your SS? I saw a nice Gary Fisher in that alley..

> Picked up a Flight saddle, lots of tyres, some AC cranks, carbon
> barends....

Nice.. sounds like you had some cash to spend ;-)

hippy

I'm intrigued, Shabby- who ARE you? I'm a blackburn member too (my name
is Iain, and I'm the junior with the fdjeux helmet)

Hippy, I agree with what Shabby says, btw. Look, if you want someone to
show you the ropes I'm even volunteering to go to the Thursday nights
just for that. Maybe try driving down, just the once, and see how tired
you are after the session before deciding on putting brakes on the track
bike and riding from wherever the hell it is (Glenferrie?). I know that
*I* couldn't ride 20k's on a fixed wheel bike, put in a decent training
session and ride home again. Hell, I struggle enough with putting in
8k's each way to the track and home, and training.

Do come to training though. Your legs will thank you for it. ;) After
they've stopped screaming "Why the hell are you putting us through this
torture, you stupid *******?", naturally. :p

--

Hippy wrote:
> "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3fcab00-
> [email protected]:[email protected]...
> > Blackburn is planning another Swap Meet to coincide with the Australia
> > Day Madison (26/1/04).

> Cool!
> > By the way, haven't seen you at track training/racing, Hippy......

> Doh, busted! I've been slack. I really don't like having to drive to
> ride and I still haven't rigged up brakes on another fork for the
> NotAGibson. Gotta try and keep the gf happy too, hence dinner tonight.
> Maybe Thursday's novice session?
> All poor excuses I know.. I've just got to get pumped and get into it.
> hippy

If you don't start now you won't keep up later in the season and you
won't feel comfortable on the bike. At this stage noone has done much
sprint training, but if you lose 2 months on everyone it's going to be a
tough season for you.

--

"Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you don't start now you won't keep up later in the season and you
> won't feel comfortable on the bike. At this stage noone has done much
> sprint training, but if you lose 2 months on everyone it's going to be

> tough season for you.

Yep, I've been thinking about that. Everyone will be getting
comfortable on the bikes while I sit at home..
I've got it sussed now though.. see my other post.
I'll skip some METEC crits and do Thur track sessions
until they tell me to go to Mon sessions.

hippy

"Etxy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm intrigued, Shabby- who ARE you? I'm a blackburn member too (my

name
> is Iain, and I'm the junior with the fdjeux helmet)

I keep forgetting that you are Iain... must correct that!

> Hippy, I agree with what Shabby says, btw. Look, if you want someone

> show you the ropes I'm even volunteering to go to the Thursday nights
> just for that.

Thanks for the offer. I'm gonna need all the help I can get
riding a fixie! :)

> Maybe try driving down, just the once, and see how tired

Yeah, I get off work earlier now (5pm), so I'm home by 5.45-ish
and then it's about a 20min drive to the track. If I put everything
in the car on a Wed night, I should be okay to get there just a bit
late.. just like METEC! :)

> Do come to training though. Your legs will thank you for it. ;) After
> they've stopped screaming "Why the hell are you putting us through

this
> torture, you stupid *******?", naturally. :p

I'm sure my legs will thank me.. it's the rest of me that's not so sure!
;-)

How hard is a Thu session? I might try for the one this week if it is
not going to push me too hard before the 24hr..

(Anyone in my team for the 24hr.. please don't think this
means I'm going to be fast ahahaha!)

hippy