Bike that will fit my $250-300 CDN budget?!

Quickstrike

May 8, 2006
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a decent bike for $250-300 CDN.

My family has always bought the CCM mountain bike special, and am now looking for something of better quality.

I went to Costco today and rode the Infinity bikes they had in stock. Seemed like good bikes.

The models I was looking at were the Infinity Mayhem bike for $299.99 and the Infinity Torino bike for $149.99

The Mayhem had 21 speed quick shift, aluminum 18" frame, dual suspension, dual cable brakes, 26" wheels.

The Torino had 21 handlebar shift, front shocks, dual cable brakes, 26" wheels.

Now, I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't consider dual shock setups unless it is over the $400 USD range. As the parts included will be too cheap to be useful.

I don't really know what I am after. Thinking more along the lines of a hard-tail. I want a do-everything kind of bike, but I will be on asphault trails or roads 95% of the time. I would like speed.

I noticed on my grandfathers cheap bike, the front shocks were so soft -- it seemed like the shocks were absorbing some of the energy that would've been directed to the back wheel. When I went back onto a bike with no shocks, I could go faster for every revolution of the pedal turned (both 21 speed).

So, I am thinking hard-tail or no-shocks at all. This seem about right for the riding style listed above?

Are the Infinity bikes I mentioned any good?

TIA,
-Quickstrike

Ahh! Just noticed the Bike Buying Advice forum... could someone move my post there?

Any other suggestions?

TIA,
-Quickstrike

Quickstrike, buy the best you can afford. I just purchased 2 bikes for about 1000 dollars. Sounds like a lot of money to me. But, I only got low to mid grade components. If I was doing more serious riding I would have had to spend a heck of a lot more money. The cheaper you go, the more you'll end up spending in terms of repairing/upgrading parts. Go for the best you can afford and if possible (not sure because of your location), find a LBS that is knowlegeable and will treat you right. Good luck, Greg

I am used to riding cheap bikes. So pretty much any bike will be a rather large leap in the right direction.

Can't see myself buying anything that pricey, as I only bike ride 3-4 times a week at max... and only 4-5 mile distances.

I just want to mainly know if I should look at dual or single shock bikes in this price range? or no shocks at all?

and if those Infinity bikes are any good?! Thinking of getting one of those if I see no other better bikes mentioned in a similar price range.

Incorporating the new motorcycle, car, treadmill, gym pass into my schedule is getting difficult. Seems like I already got my transportation and excercise needs covered, so a bicycle is just a small addition.

First get out of costco (or any other department store) and get to an actual bike shop. Since yer a canadian (like me), look at Norco's they're pretty cheap and good quality.

I just bought my wife a Norco Bush pilot with decent components and disc brakes... paid less than $500 cdn.

Just noticed yer in Calgary... got to Bow cycle on bowness... lots of selection and if you can find a last year's model, there's deals to be had.

i ride a 2001 bush pilot and it is an excellent ride
norco also starts with a pinnacle somewhere around 320$ i think.
just my 2 bits but full suspension is for down hill riding.
around here i see a lot of people pushing their f/s bikes up hills
i do not have any first hand experience cause i need a full suspension bike but do not have one.
oh yeah you are in calgary what hills?

I got Giant Boulder SE 4 days ago and i've been riding 15 miles to 20 miles everyday. Great bike to commute and great bike to go offroad(not hardcore), i am a beginner, but while i am riding to work or school and i see a dirk, rocks or jumpes, i go for it. It's fun, i love it. if u have more question about Boulder SE let me knwo. like i said it's a great bike. i will be going on a moutain wit my friend on Sunday. I'll tell you how it was. i am goign to eat it.

Seems like the Infinity bikes I was looking @ are comparable to the Giants ppl mentioned. Have the same lower-end Shimano components.

Only difference is the Frame.

Overall the bike is cheaper than lower-end Giant and Trek bikes with the same/similar components.

:confused:

Quickstrike said:
Only difference is the Frame.

and which is the main component of a bike....? and are you sure that the wheels are the same as well?

as said above, get your ass out of the department store and into a bike shop who will be able to offer advice on fitting etc, and who will actually care whether or not you are happy with what you have bought.

Quickstrike said:
Hello,

My family has always bought the CCM mountain bike special, and am now looking for something of better quality.

I went to Costco today and rode the Infinity bikes they had in stock. Seemed like good bikes.

The models I was looking at were the Infinity Mayhem bike for $299.99 and the Infinity Torino bike for $149.99

The Mayhem had 21 speed quick shift, aluminum 18" frame, dual suspension, dual cable brakes, 26" wheels.

The Torino had 21 handlebar shift, front shocks, dual cable brakes, 26" wheels.

Now, I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't consider dual shock setups unless it is over the $400 USD range. As the parts included will be too cheap to be useful.

I don't really know what I am after. Thinking more along the lines of a hard-tail. I want a do-everything kind of bike, but I will be on asphault trails or roads 95% of the time. I would like speed.

I noticed on my grandfathers cheap bike, the front shocks were so soft -- it seemed like the shocks were absorbing some of the energy that would've been directed to the back wheel. When I went back onto a bike with no shocks, I could go faster for every revolution of the pedal turned (both 21 speed).

So, I am thinking hard-tail or no-shocks at all. This seem about right for the riding style listed above?

Are the Infinity bikes I mentioned any good?

TIA,
-Quickstrike
I have bought the Mayhem at the price of apx. 300$
It was the best buy of my life. I went to sports experts and they were no match for Costco and their Mayhem! Had it for about 6 months and no problems, great comfort/performance especially for the price. It even handles well in the QC snow! The only problem i had was a few minor shifting problems which are frequent with Shimano but very rare.

BUY IT!!! :p

XphilippeX said:
I have bought the Mayhem at the price of apx. 300$
It was the best buy of my life. I went to sports experts and they were no match for Costco and their Mayhem! Had it for about 6 months and no problems, great comfort/performance especially for the price. It even handles well in the QC snow! The only problem i had was a few minor shifting problems which are frequent with Shimano but very rare.

BUY IT!!! :p
I bought it last year :p.

It is a pretty good bike, but I realized shortly after I bought the bike that it is aimed more at the adolescent crowd.

I am 6'3" (not that tall by any means) and I had to buy an after-market seat with longer reach. The seat height is tolerable, but now the handle bars are too low. I am really hunched over.

Next time I will invest in a bike made for adults.

Quickstrike said:
Why not a used bike?...you can get a very good bike with a great build for $300

I just sold my wife's very slightly used Kona Fire Mountain for $350 (less than half price), and my Trek 730 for $50...drive train needs to be replaced ($150) but everything else is perfect.

also, I bought a 1 year old Fuji Panic Pro for $400 ($1100 new) and my daughter sold her slightly used Trek 7600zx with a Manitou fork for $400...both had Deore components

Just a few examples of what is out there

Well here in windsor there are some pretty decent bikes there that run in your price range and have everyday drivability. These bikes have a tough suspension and some have no suspension. Check out some of these rides as i have 4 bikes, Two gary fishers and a schwinn blackline bike (899.99), while my last bike is from zellers, Its a mongoose 26' bike with front disc mechanical brakes and v type brakes in the rear, it has a great ride and quite comfortable to use everyday as a rider. This bike has served me well and runs $299.99 here in windsor. There is some other great rides in your price range but you have to know where to look. Just check Canadian Tire, Zellers, And Wal-Mart.

steve_18798 said:
Well here in windsor there are some pretty decent bikes there that run in your price range and have everyday drivability. These bikes have a tough suspension and some have no suspension. Check out some of these rides as i have 4 bikes, Two gary fishers and a schwinn blackline bike (899.99), while my last bike is from zellers, Its a mongoose 26' bike with front disc mechanical brakes and v type brakes in the rear, it has a great ride and quite comfortable to use everyday as a rider. This bike has served me well and runs $299.99 here in windsor. There is some other great rides in your price range but you have to know where to look. Just check Canadian Tire, Zellers, And Wal-Mart.
please be carefull...I bought a Zellers bike to use as my winter commuter...lasted 3 days before the cog set fell apart

I found a bike with Shimano Acera to be perfectly functional.

I don't think a suspension fork robs your pedal power. They more or less stay at the top of their travel unless you actually hit a bump, or unless you stand up on the pedals while climbing a hill.

Try to spring for a bike with a cassette rear wheel unless you're a lighter guy. It's a weak design and the axle will bend. I have found that keeping the bearing cones snugger than normal seems to help.

try the raleigh mojave 2.0, its just right for your price range and is perfect for riding around all the time, I ride mine to work everyday over mostly road but some pretty bumpy stuff and a jump or two also, never had any problems with it and it is pretty light also.

garage sale GT said:
Try to spring for a bike with a cassette rear wheel unless you're a lighter guy. It's a weak design and the axle will bend. I have found that keeping the bearing cones snugger than normal seems to help.
The OLD, freewheel design is a bit prone to bending, I mean.