Bike The Drive May 28

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Pat in TX, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    I am getting my research done for this ride through Chicago this May, but I
    have a few questions for those of you who live in Chicago. We would be
    flying in from DFW and then getting a place to stay on the Friday before the
    ride. Any advice on that? I found the fair's location is at Upper
    Hutchinson Field, at the corner of Columbus and Balbo. Can we take the
    bikes on the El? They are Bike Fridays, so we could fold them up and put
    them in a bag.

    On the Bike the Drive website, they recommend a certain hotel for $225 per
    room per night. Yikes! Let's just say I hope to get a much lower rate
    somewhere. I would even take a hostel rather that pay $225 for the room.

    Any advice would be welcome. I checked out the Amtrak and it takes 23 hours
    to get to Chicago from north Texas. I love trains, but 23 hours? That would
    wreck the entire weekend!

    Pat in TX

    Tags:

  2. Veloise

    Veloise Guest

    Pat in TX wrote:
    > I am getting my research done for this ride through Chicago this May, but I
    > have a few questions for those of you who live in Chicago. We would be
    > flying in from DFW and then getting a place to stay on the Friday before the
    > ride. Any advice on that? I found the fair's location is at Upper
    > Hutchinson Field, at the corner of Columbus and Balbo. Can we take the
    > bikes on the El? They are Bike Fridays, so we could fold them up and put
    > them in a bag.
    >
    > On the Bike the Drive website, they recommend a certain hotel for $225 per
    > room per night. Yikes! Let's just say I hope to get a much lower rate
    > somewhere. I would even take a hostel rather that pay $225 for the room.

    I don't live in Chicago, but I once needed a cheap place to stay there
    while involved with the consumer bike show. Fortunately I still had a
    copy of the member directory published by a certain bicycle-related
    organization, and I landed an unofficial hospitality home with real
    nice folks. Come to think of it, I did that a couple of times! Try the
    warm showers list. Or google the area bicycle clubs.

    Surely all the Chicago-area art students take their massively huge
    black portfolios on the trains. Don't ask, don't tell.

    HTH

    --Karen D.

    > I am getting my research done for this ride through Chicago this May, but I
    > have a few questions for those of you who live in Chicago. We would be
    > flying in from DFW and then getting a place to stay on the Friday before the
    > ride. Any advice on that? I found the fair's location is at Upper
    > Hutchinson Field, at the corner of Columbus and Balbo. Can we take the
    > bikes on the El? They are Bike Fridays, so we could fold them up and put
    > them in a bag.

    Folders can go on the L (note: /not/ 'El') pretty much any time.
    Standard bikes can go on all the time, except during weekday rush hours.
    For BtD, CTA adds cars to the trains to allow more bikes aboard.

    You can also load your bikes onto the bike racks on every CTA bus,
    unfolded, or take them aboard the bus, folded.

    Hotels near downtown or either airport will likely be budget-busting,
    but there's a Hosteling International in the Loop that may help in that
    arena.

    <http://www.hichicago.org/>

    You could also stay anywhere near either end of Lake Shore Drive, as you
    can jump on anywhere if you have your rider number sent to you ahead of
    time. I did that last year, and jumped on at Montrose, rather than at
    Grant Park.

    If you stay in the burbs, you'll be able to take your bikes on Metra
    suburban trains without problem, though folding them up will be your
    best bet (only 3 bikes per car, and they could be full that morning).

    --

    __o Kristian Zoerhoff
    _'\(,_ [email protected]

  4. Janet

    Janet Guest

    Pat in TX wrote:
    <snip>

    > On the Bike the Drive website, they recommend a certain hotel for $225 per
    > room per night. Yikes! Let's just say I hope to get a much lower rate
    > somewhere. I would even take a hostel rather that pay $225 for the room.

    Guess it's just a matter of perspective on hotel rates for cities.
    Living in NJ and being used to prices in places like NYC and Boston, and
    even parts of NJ, $225 a night seems quite reasonable for staying in a
    city. Remember, you get what you pay for, and often times, the less
    expensive places are also the less desirable neighborhoods.....

    Janet

  5. http://www.bikethedrive.org/dayofeventinfo.html

    I have stayed at this Hostel several times, a bunk bed under 30 a
    night.
    http://www.arlingtonhouse.com/
    5.2 miles to the starting point downtown, I would allow an hour to get
    there.
    Lake Shore trail runs along Lake Michigan for this area (and much
    longer).
    You might want to take side city streets or bike lanes instead.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...ll=41.899977,-87.629871&spn=0.062479,0.117073
    Getting there can be a little tricky, I could not find it the first
    time I was trying to get there.

    Go to 2400 N (Fullerton) then E/W to 700W, proceed north on oneway
    street (Orchard) one block then East on 2500 N (Arlington) about 1500
    Ft to a 5 story large brick building (Arlington House).

    The site offers these directions:
    >From O'Hare Airport

    Take the train (BLUE liine to Washington stop).
    Transfer to the red line north to Fullerton St.
    Walk EAST on Fullerton to Orchard. Then walk one block north to
    Arlington Pl., right to 616.

    >From Midway Airport

    Take the ORANGE Midway EL Train to Clark and Lake.
    Cross platform and take RAVENSWOOD North Line to Fullerton.
    Walk EAST on Fullerton to Orchard. Then walk one block NORTH to
    Arlington House.

  6. Tom or Mary

    Tom or Mary Guest

    I have stayed on Diversity near the Lincoln Park for around $80 per night.
    There are Days Inns, and a Comfort Inn (although I think the name has
    changed.) near this area.There is a blue line stop near by.

    Tom

  7. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    Thanks a million! This looks promising. I just have to find out where they'd
    allow us to put the bikes.

    Pat in TX

  8. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:22:35 -0600, "Pat in TX" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am getting my research done for this ride through Chicago this May, but I
    >have a few questions for those of you who live in Chicago. We would be
    >flying in from DFW and then getting a place to stay on the Friday before the
    >ride. Any advice on that? I found the fair's location is at Upper
    >Hutchinson Field, at the corner of Columbus and Balbo. Can we take the
    >bikes on the El? They are Bike Fridays, so we could fold them up and put
    >them in a bag.
    >
    >On the Bike the Drive website, they recommend a certain hotel for $225 per
    >room per night. Yikes! Let's just say I hope to get a much lower rate
    >somewhere. I would even take a hostel rather that pay $225 for the room.
    >
    >Any advice would be welcome. I checked out the Amtrak and it takes 23 hours
    >to get to Chicago from north Texas. I love trains, but 23 hours? That would
    >wreck the entire weekend!

    You're not really coming all the way from Texas just for Bike the
    Drive, are you? I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and I
    wouldn't drive into the city for that ride. ;-)

  9. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    > You're not really coming all the way from Texas just for Bike the
    > Drive, are you? I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and I
    > wouldn't drive into the city for that ride. ;-)
    >

    > jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net

    Okay, confession time: my son works for an airline and I could fly stand-by
    and only pay about $22 for the ticket. I have wanted to see Chicago for a
    long time and this seemed like a good time to do it.

    Pat in TX

  10. Good plan - and a good time to see Chicago.

    If I could make a further suggestion: the Friday just prior to Bike
    the Drive, May 26th, is the last Friday of the month and the Critical
    Mass ride. It starts in downtown Chicago, Daley Plaza, not far from
    where Bike the Drive starts. This is a real party-on-wheels and would
    give you a chance to safely see many other parts of Chicago as well.
    Fun, friendly peepul and I think you'd enjoy the ride.

    http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/

    The rest of the responses on this thread have been pretty much on
    target. If you have any further questions, drop me a line.