Bike through the ice!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Dr.Hairybiker, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

This day went to crap. I was out riding my beater, winter bike on the back roads. Having a good time, cold(15 degrees or so) but sunny and clear. Figured I'd venture out onto the ice if there was enough crunchy snow on top to get traction. I live right by a major bay off Lake Ontario. I got out there and went maybe half to three quarters of a mile and craaack, splash. Right through the ice and into the water. I pulled myself out allright but the bike sank, of course. Ah, lifes little adventures....

Tags:

2. concord

concord Member

Bummer Dude! Glad you got out, will you try and get your bike in the spring?? :eek:

3. Ottis

Ottis New Member

oh man. that just sucks! as for me, i was riding to school on the road, and of course it's all covered in ice (no snow), make a turn and BAM fall right on my shoulder. and right behind me is this car, i fall look back and see it skidding, trying to avoid me. lucky day it was for me:D didn't get injured and bike is okay.

so sorry for your loss :(

4. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

Well, my neighbor and I went out and fished the bike out this morning, so I got it back. It's cleaner than before, just needs to be dried out and lubed up.

5. concord

concord Member

Good to hear you got your bike back!

6. concord

concord Member

Glad the car missed you. About a month ago one of our local riders hit some ice and went down but he went into the wheels of a trailer that was being pulled by a pick-up truck. He didn't survive. Bummer.

7. larryb

larryb New Member

i think you maybe lucky to be alive.

i bought a dry suit and wear appropriate layers under it while in my canoe or kayak during cold weather... today's news here talks of two young duck hunters who went over in a canoe yesterday... they are dead now.

how long were you in the water? and
    how far were you from heated space/ dry clothes?

so tell us, how close to death were you?

cu,
    larryb

8. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

I was only in the water for a minute or maybe two. The ice kept breaking while I was trying to pull myself out, but finally it held. I had to jog home, so it took probably half an hour to get home. Actually, I think the fact that I was wearing all polyester clothing might've helped quite a bit. Had I been wearing Carhartts or cotton clothing I would've been a lot heavier once I got wet, had a harder time getting out, and would've frozen on the way home. Some hot coffee was definitely in order once I got inside.

9. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Listen, I don't mean to be rude. Really. I don't. I ride in lots of bad weather. But for Chrissakes, man, riding on to ice, no matter that the temperature, is supremely stupid. There's no way I'm going to wink and smile about that. You were an idiot. You're damn lucky you didn't die. And anyone else should never, ever try that shit. You shouldn't ride on ice on land, mush less on some lake. Geez, buddy, this is nothing to be proud about. It's goddamn idiotic.

Ride safe. Get a trainer. We love biking here, not dnager sports, right?

10. larryb

larryb New Member

tcklyde wrote and i snipped:

> It's goddamn idiotic.

>Ride safe. Get a trainer. We love biking here, not dnager sports, right?

i agree somewhat with what you say, however your expression seems to be over the top. there are places, such as North Dakota which are so cold for so long that it is common practice to drive cars and trucks on ice... a bike would be no problem.

so it would seem that biking on ice is a matter of judgement and conditions.

cu,
    larrryb

11. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be if you know roughly what you're doing and is prepared to deal with the circumstances. Check out [ur]http://www.skatemate.com/tour.html[/url]

With ice picks, safety line, a change of clothes and a buddy, ice biking shouldn't be much riskier than tour skating.

12. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

Jeez, settle down dude. Your perspective is obviously somewhat limited. We're talking about a place where at any given time might have 200 ice fishing shantys, some of which weigh half a ton or more, dotted all over what is the largest fresh water bay in the world, the Chaumont Bay. People drive trucks, snowmobiles, you name it, out there all the time. Late winter can see over 2 feet of ice out there. I just hit a freak soft spot, probably over an underground spring, about 50 feet off shore. It ain't like I've never ridden out there before. I've done hundreds of miles out there. On a nice day there's nothing better!