Bike Tip

Urban Bettag

Guest
I have done three triathlons last year and plan to do some more in the summer. Many years ago I used
to be a competitive cyclist and mainly used a sat-back road racing position. Also I did quite a lot
of running this year. At T2 I always had problems getting up the pace and ended up with a very poor
run. Hence, I was wondering if the saddle position has any effect on the running. Are there any
recommendations on the saddle set-back? Do you use different saddle positions for different
distances (sprint vs. long distance)? Further, when you train, do you mainly bike after a run, or do
you run after the bike and if so for how long?

Thanks in advance, Urban

Urban Bettag wrote:

> I have done three triathlons last year and plan to do some more in the summer. Many years ago I
> used to be a competitive cyclist and mainly used a sat-back road racing position. Also I did quite
> a lot of running this year. At T2 I always had problems getting up the pace and ended up with a
> very poor run. Hence, I was wondering if the saddle position has any effect on the running. Are
> there any recommendations on the saddle set-back? Do you use different saddle positions for
> different distances (sprint vs. long distance)?

Runners and triathletes generally prefer a more forward saddle position than cyclists. This is
because the further forward you go, the more emphasis is placed on the backs of the legs and less on
the quadriceps at the front. Since runners tend to have better developed hamstrings, they want to be
able to make use of them on the bike, hence the more forward position. It also lends itself to
better aerodynamics.

> Further, when you train, do you mainly bike after a run, or do you run after the bike and if so
> for how long?

If you're practicing for a triathlon, it makes sense to train your run directly after your bike
on a regular basis, if you're not doing them back-to-back it doesn't matter much in which order
you do them.

-S-

> Thanks in advance, Urban

How would you know? By your own admission you do not participate in triaflons. You play with
cow balls.

news:<[email protected]>...

On Fri, 9 May 2003 00:13:13 +0100, "Urban Bettag" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have done three triathlons last year and plan to do some more in the summer. Many years ago I
>used to be a competitive cyclist and mainly used a sat-back road racing position. Also I did quite
>a lot of running this year. At T2 I always had problems getting up the pace and ended up with a
>very poor run. Hence, I was wondering if the saddle position has any effect on the running. Are
>there any recommendations on the saddle set-back? Do you use different saddle positions for
>different distances (sprint vs. long distance)? Further, when you train, do you mainly bike after a
>run, or do you run after the bike and if so for how long?
>
>Thanks in advance, Urban

Definately practice your run off of your bike. In my experiance I find that once I get past
that "Oh my god what happened to my legs" feeling my running legs are fairly fresh. In some
case I run better after a ride than starting off fresh without a warmup. I think, especially
if doing sprint distance, getting used to that dead legg feeling and learning to run thru it
is imperative.

~Matt

Bricks are a must. Good advice. Friedes just doesn't know his game because he keeps playing with
cow bells.