Guest
I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)

Is there a difference?

The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that it will take
a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says 26 X 1.50

thanks

twitch

On 2008-06-03, Twitchell <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
> 3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)
>
> Is there a difference?
>
> The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that it will take
> a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says 26 X 1.50

Yes. Tire sizing traditionally has been a nightmare. Back in the 70s an
ISO standard for designating tire sizes was implemented; it will be
a pair of numbers like "28-622" where the first number indicates the
nominal width and the second the bead seat diameter. See if you can
find the ISO numbers on your tire (they're often molded into the
sidewall) and use that to find a compatible tire.

--

John ([email protected])

On 3 Jun 2008 13:51:59 -0700, Twitchell <[email protected]>
may have said:

>I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
>3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)
>
>Is there a difference?

There sure is!

>The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that it will take
>a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says 26 X 1.50

A 1" wide rim (outside measure) of typical designs will easily support
anything from 1.50 to 2.00" sectional size. It is not unusual to see
tires beyond that range installed on such a rim, and it usually works
well enough for the average rider to have no problems.

For more extensive info on bike tire sizes, see
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack says...

>On 3 Jun 2008 13:51:59 -0700, Twitchell <[email protected]>
>may have said:
>
>>I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
>>3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)
>>
>>Is there a difference?

>There sure is!
>
>>The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that it will take
>>a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says 26 X 1.50

>A 1" wide rim (outside measure) of typical designs will easily support
>anything from 1.50 to 2.00" sectional size. It is not unusual to see
>tires beyond that range installed on such a rim, and it usually works
>well enough for the average rider to have no problems.
>
>For more extensive info on bike tire sizes, see
>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Both of you....

Would I be safe in ordering:

Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C1...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212532851&sr=1-64

or

Cheng Shin C215 Street Tire 26 x 1-3/4" Wire Bead BW

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C2...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212532851&sr=1-71

or maybe even

26x2.125, Raised Center, Black, 40psi, Tire

http://www.amazon.com/26x2-125-Rais...UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212533152&sr=1-138

Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I should
get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

twitch

"Twitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack
> says...
>>

> Would I be safe in ordering:
>
> Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C1...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212532851&sr=1-64
>
> Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I
> should
> get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...d=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: 26x1.0 to 26x1.75

Yes, inner tubes come in sizes as well but they're pretty general. Remember
that there are a couple of different filler types and you have to buy the
proper type for your rims. The pictures of your bike appear that you use a
Schrader Filler and so a tube for that could be:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...ype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Tubes

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich says...

>"Twitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack
>> says...
>>>

>> Would I be safe in ordering:
>>
>> Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW
>>
>>http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C1...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212532851&sr=1-64
>>
>> Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I
>> should
>> get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

>Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
>suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...d=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: 26x1.0 to 26x1.75

Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do want
some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and rear
which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

Twitchell wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich says...
>> "Twitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack
>>> says...
>>> Would I be safe in ordering:
>>>
>>> Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C1...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212532851&sr=1-64
>>>
>>> Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I
>>> should
>>> get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

>> Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
>> suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
>> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...d=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: 26x1.0 to 26x1.75
>>

> Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do want
> some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and rear
> which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

Tread serves no purpose for bicycle tires used on pavement. Really.
You'll get better grip, especially in the wet, with a smooth tire.

If you'll be riding in gravel, dirt, etc., then go ahead and get some tread.

Mark J.

"Twitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
> says...
>>
>>Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
>>suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
>>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...d=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: 26x1.0 to 26x1.75
>>

> Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do
> want
> some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and
> rear
> which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

That raised tread on off-road tires gives you MUCH poorer traction on
asphalt. Also you do not require a very wide tire. Remember that on my
street bike I'm running a 23 mm wide tire - that's about 7/8" and it is more
than enough.

In article <[email protected]>,
John Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2008-06-03, Twitchell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in
> > fractions (1 3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)
> >
> > Is there a difference?
> >
> > The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that
> > it will take a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says
> > 26 X 1.50

> Yes. Tire sizing traditionally has been a nightmare. Back in the 70s
> an ISO standard for designating tire sizes was implemented; it will
> be a pair of numbers like "28-622" where the first number indicates
> the nominal width and the second the bead seat diameter. See if you
> can find the ISO numbers on your tire (they're often molded into the
> sidewall) and use that to find a compatible tire.

Good advice. ISO numbers simplify things quite a bit. Sheldon Brown's
article on tire sizes, previously referenced by others, sorts out the
nightmare pretty well and lets people figure out what the tire sizes of
old British bikes were when buying new tires. Them old dried out tires
usually don't have ISO numbers.

In article <[email protected]>,
Twitchell <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich says...
> >
> >"Twitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack
> >> says...
> >>>

> >> Would I be safe in ordering:
> >>
> >> Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW
> >>
> >>http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C1...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212532851&sr=1-64
> >>
> >> Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all? I
> >> should
> >> get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

> >Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
> >suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
> >http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...d=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: 26x1.0 to 26x1.75
> >

> Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do want
> some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and rear
> which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

On pavement: bald-good; pattern-bad.
Even on mild off road stuff such as packed gravel or dirt bald is no impediment.

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>, Michael Press
says...

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Twitchell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich says...
>> >
>> >"Twitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> >Unless you are riding your bike off-road in rather heavy terrain I would
>> >suggest you use a 26 x 1.25" such as
>>>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...d=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: 26x1.0 to 26x1.75
>> >

>>Sheesh...that's almost BALD. Prolly good for you and your rides but I do want
>> some tread. It seems like a good idea to have matching sizes, front and rear
>> which is why I want 1.75 or 1.95 I like the tube though.

>On pavement: bald-good; pattern-bad.
>Even on mild off road stuff such as packed gravel or dirt bald is no impediment.

Well, for better or worse, I ordered two tires....both Cheng Shin cheapos...

Sold by: Niagara Cycle Works1 "Cheng Shin C783 City Tire 26 x 1.50 Wire BW"
Misc.; $6.78

and

1 "Cheng Shin C215 Street Tire 26%1A x 1-3/4" Wire Bead BW"
Misc.; $6.36

I also ordered two tubes...

2 "Standard Tube (Schrader Valve) -26 x 1.5 - 2.2"
Misc.; $4.99

My challenge now is to do the replacements myself. Doesn't look too
complicated.

twitch

On 3 Jun 2008 15:51:08 -0700, Twitchell <[email protected]>
may have said:

>In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack says...
>>
>>On 3 Jun 2008 13:51:59 -0700, Twitchell <[email protected]>
>>may have said:
>>
>>>I'm ordering some tires for a bike but some of the sizes are in fractions (1
>>>3/4) and others are in decimal (1.75)
>>>
>>>Is there a difference?

>>There sure is!
>>
>>>The rim is 26 x 1" (outside diameter) and have been told here that it will take
>>>a 1.75" width tire. It currently has a tire that says 26 X 1.50

>>A 1" wide rim (outside measure) of typical designs will easily support
>>anything from 1.50 to 2.00" sectional size. It is not unusual to see
>>tires beyond that range installed on such a rim, and it usually works
>>well enough for the average rider to have no problems.
>>
>>For more extensive info on bike tire sizes, see
>>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
>>

>Both of you....
>
>Would I be safe in ordering:
>
>Cheng Shin C1027 Raised Center Tire 26 x 1.95" Wire Bead BSW
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C1...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212532851&sr=1-64

Safe, yes. Advisable; not so much. There's way more tread knobbiness
on there than you need, and it's probably going to buzz a bit.

>or
>
>Cheng Shin C215 Street Tire 26 x 1-3/4" Wire Bead BW
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C2...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212532851&sr=1-71

Will Not Fit! This tire is made for a different diameter of rim than
what you have. Note that in the extended information one says 559 and
the other says 571; those two numbers are the rim diameter in
millimeters. It has to match the rim diameter of your bike or the
tire will not fit. Since we already know that your bike has
decimal-size tires now, we also know that it has 559 wheels; no
question of it being anything else.

>or maybe even
>
>26x2.125, Raised Center, Black, 40psi, Tire
>
>http://www.amazon.com/26x2-125-Rais...UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212533152&sr=1-138

Better than the first, but not what I'd buy myself, which is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tire-Pyramid-...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1212552465&sr=1-1

Alternate link:

http://tinyurl.com/5mnb34

That's a 26 x 1.50 city slick tire which I've had good results with.

>Do inner tubes come in sizes like tires or is it one size fits all?

They are specific to an extent, but when you have two sizes to choose
from with close or overlapping specs, pick the one that has the larger
high-end to its range of appropriate sizes. For instance, with a
26x1.50 tire, if the choices available are 26x1.0-1.75 and
26x1.5-2.25, you are generally better off with the 26x1.5-2.25.
Remember: fractional and decimal tire sizes are DIFFERENT, they are
used on wheels that have a different diameter, and they don't
interchange AT ALL. 26x1.5 is NOT the same as 26x1 1/2. In math,
they would be; this isn't math.

One other thing: there are two types of valve used on bike tubes;
Presta and Schrader. Schrader valves are what you are used to; they
work like the valves on a car wheel. Presta valves are different;
they are skinnier, and they have a locknut on the end of the valve
core (which sticks out of the end of the valve). UInless the bike you
have is already equipped with prestas, or you like having to fiddle
with extra steps when airing up a tire, stick with Schrader-valve
tubes. Most non-bike-shop sources will generally not have
Presta-valve tubes, but Amazon's marketplace suppliers have both.

> I should
>get a couple of them for the tires. I'm going to buy two tires.

Sounds like a plan.

Twitchellwrote:

> Well, for better or worse, I ordered two tires....both Cheng Shin cheapos...
>
> Sold by: Niagara Cycle Works
>
>1 "Cheng Shin C783 City Tire 26 x 1.50 Wire BW"
> Misc.; $6.78

OK. This will work with your 559 mm bead seat diameter rims.

> and
> 1 "Cheng Shin C215 Street Tire 26%1A x 1-3/4" Wire Bead BW"
> Misc.; $6.36

This is not going to work. As we explained to you, fractional sizes
(e.g., 26 x 1-3/4") use a different rim diameter that decimal sizes.

Your bike has rims with 559 mm bead seat diameter. The 26 x 1-3/4"
tire you ordered needs a rim with a 571 mm bead seat diameter.

The Niagara web site states: *Note: This is NOT the same diameter as a
decimal tire size, such as 26" x 1.75"*

Art Harris

In article <c2e2e153-1348-455b-bf80-a7e3fe5318eb@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
Art Harris says...

>Twitchellwrote:
>>
>> Well, for better or worse, I ordered two tires....both Cheng Shin cheapos...
>>
>> Sold by: Niagara Cycle Works
>>
>>1 "Cheng Shin C783 City Tire 26 x 1.50 Wire BW"
>> Misc.; $6.78
>>

>OK. This will work with your 559 mm bead seat diameter rims.
>

>> and
>> 1 "Cheng Shin C215 Street Tire 26%1A x 1-3/4" Wire Bead BW"
>> Misc.; $6.36
>>

>This is not going to work. As we explained to you, fractional sizes
>(e.g., 26 x 1-3/4") use a different rim diameter that decimal sizes.
>
>Your bike has rims with 559 mm bead seat diameter. The 26 x 1-3/4"
>tire you ordered needs a rim with a 571 mm bead seat diameter.
>
>The Niagara web site states: *Note: This is NOT the same diameter as a
>decimal tire size, such as 26" x 1.75"*
>

>Art Harris

I ordered thru Amazon...they didn't give any warning. Anyway, it's on it's way
and since it's only $6.36, I'm not being killed.

Any advise on my front forks? They're 1994 Manitou Eastons. Thom sent me a
manual in PDF format. I couldn't tell by looking but apparently, they move up
and down and the manual says they should be taken apart and reoiled EVERY THREE
MONTHS....you can't be serious.

.....so I looked at the manual to see how to do it. Seems like a lot of work
just for some bike forks and to do it every three months seems excessive.

twitch