bike tires question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Misnomer, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    Any tips on changing a bike tire and tubes?

    Went to buy a tube and wow picked up one that had a little teeny tiny nozzel instead of the nice big
    tire valve usually seen on car tires. When did this happen? What do you use to put the air in?
    Perhaps I bought the wrong kind of tube?

    Did solid tires ever make it to market, and where would one find such a thing?

    Take care Liz who is dying to get on her old one speed and take off but can't quite get the
    new tires on.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, MisNomer <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Any tips on changing a bike tire and tubes?

    Use plastic tire levers. Pump a stroke or two of air into a tube before installing it. Put a little
    talc or corn starch on your inner tubes.

    >Went to buy a tube and wow picked up one that had a little teeny tiny nozzel instead of the nice
    >big tire valve usually seen on car tires. When did this happen? What do you use to put the air in?
    >Perhaps I bought the wrong kind of tube?

    You bought a "presta valve" tube. You want a "schraeder valve" tube. Both are readily
    available, you just have to check the package when you buy. Usually there is a picture of the
    valve type on the box.

    >Did solid tires ever make it to market, and where would one find such a thing?

    Example - http://www.greentyre.com/

    You can read comments on solid tires by searching the archives of rec.bicycles.tech on
    http://groups.google.com/

    >Take care Liz who is dying to get on her old one speed and take off but can't quite get the new
    >tires on.

    Installing the solid ones will be 10x harder.

    --Paul

  3. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    Thanks Paul!

    They don't have my size, so its off to get a new tube with the different valve from the
    sports store.

    Take care Liz I will do this if it kills me, even if the air is blue...

    Hey! Look what [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote :

    >Use plastic tire levers. Pump a stroke or two of air into a tube before installing it. Put a little
    >talc or corn starch on your inner tubes.

    >You bought a "presta valve" tube. You want a "schraeder valve" tube. Both are readily
    >available, you just have to check the package when you buy. Usually there is a picture of the
    >valve type on the box.
    >
    >>Did solid tires ever make it to market, and where would one find such a thing?
    >
    >Example - http://www.greentyre.com/

  4. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Uhhh...HEY....they use different size holes....oh well, too late. Sorry

    "MisNomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks Paul!
    >
    > They don't have my size, so its off to get a new tube with the different
    valve
    > from the sports store.
    >
    > Take care Liz I will do this if it kills me, even if the air is blue...
    >

    > Hey! Look what [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote :
    >
    > >Use plastic tire levers. Pump a stroke or two of air into a tube before installing it. Put a
    > >little talc or corn starch on your inner tubes.
    >
    > >You bought a "presta valve" tube. You want a "schraeder valve" tube. Both are readily available,
    > >you just have to check the package when you buy. Usually there is a picture of the valve type on
    > >the box.
    > >
    > >>Did solid tires ever make it to market, and where would one find such a
    thing?

    > >Example - http://www.greentyre.com/

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "MisNomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Any tips on changing a bike tire and tubes?
    >
    > Went to buy a tube and wow picked up one that had a little teeny tiny
    nozzel
    > instead of the nice big tire valve usually seen on car tires. When did
    this
    > happen? What do you use to put the air in? Perhaps I bought the wrong
    kind of
    > tube?
    >
    > Did solid tires ever make it to market, and where would one find such a
    thing?

    Exchange that tube with the small valve for the one you really wanted to buy. (At most shops you'll
    get a dollar's change back). The smaller format valve ("nozzle"???) exists because it is easeir to
    pump by hand.

    Tips for changing a tire? Mark the tire, rim and valve so you can trace the injury, once located,
    back to the point on the tire or rim to determine the cause and rectify it. Simply installing a new
    tube in place of the old will often result in a another puncture if the object is still in the tire
    or if the error in the rim remains.

    Another tip? Inflate the tube enough so it is round in cross section before putting it inside he
    tire. That keeps the tube fom folding over itself or geting caught unde the tire's edge.

    Last tip? Install the tire with hands only, no tools. Use your palms, not fingertips.

    Solid urethane tires come and go every few years. They are uncomfortable generally and murder on
    rims but they have their adherents. Not enough to avoid bankruptcy, though. Then some other guy
    discovers their "potential" and begins the cycle anew. ( I'm sure someone here will set me straight
    and tell us all how his are superior.) I did install one on a good customer's bike which is
    exclusively relegated to a trainer at her summer home. It is still fine after many thousands of
    indoor miles.

  6. MisNomer <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Any tips on changing a bike tire and tubes?

    Don't put the tyre back on with levers if you can possibly help it.

    >Went to buy a tube and wow picked up one that had a little teeny tiny nozzel instead of the nice
    >big tire valve usually seen on car tires. When did this happen?

    That's a Presta valve. If you don't have a pump to fit it, exchange it.

    >Did solid tires ever make it to market, and where would one find such a thing?
    Yes, in about 1890 or so. They are still made. They're fine if you don't mind the vibration
    unscrewing all the nuts on your bicycle, including - er, since you identify as Liz, probably not the
    two that really hurt.