UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bike to Corrour

Started by David Martin · · Last activity · 5 posts · 446 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 October 2004
Last activity
19 October 2004
Original author
David Martin
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
446
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have clearance from SWMBO to go and play in the mountains for a day or so.
    So the plan is to head off on a Friday night to Linn of Dee then take bikes
    as far as we can towards Corrour. We'll stay in Corrour overnight then walk
    the hills (these definitely don't count as undulations) and return the next
    day.

    I've ridden in to Luibeg before which was a good track. The other
    alternative is to go via the White Bridge on the Chest of Dee (which I
    haven't done). Any thoughts on which is the better route? I anticipate all
    of the ride in will be in the dark.

    Thanks

    ...d

  2. "David Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have clearance from SWMBO to go and play in the mountains for a day or
    so.
    So the plan is to head off on a Friday night to Linn of Dee then take
    bikes
    as far as we can towards Corrour. We'll stay in Corrour overnight then
    walk
    the hills (these definitely don't count as undulations) and return the
    next
    day.

    I've ridden in to Luibeg before which was a good track. The other
    alternative is to go via the White Bridge on the Chest of Dee (which I
    haven't done). Any thoughts on which is the better route? I anticipate all
    of the ride in will be in the dark.

    Thanks

    ..d


    David - a wee while since I was through there, but I believe that the NTS
    are actively downgrading the paths in order to discourage cycling. When I
    did these hills (a long summers day), I went in past Luibeg bridge and we
    dumped the bikes before the final descent into the Lairig Ghru (around
    NN990943) - such was the state of the path that it didn't seem to be
    worthwhile cycling any further. As for the White Bridge route, I cycled up
    the West side of the Dee to do Beinn Bhrotain. Again, the path deteriorates
    pretty badly just where the OS map shows the landrover track ending
    (NN986920). of course, the track on the East side of the Dee may be better
    for longer. . .

    Either way, I'm not convinced I'd be wanting to do either in the dark. Good
    luck and let us know how you get on.

    druidh

  3. On 16/10/04 12:37 am, in article
    [email hidden], "druidh"

    Quoted message said:


    "David Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have clearance from SWMBO to go and play in the mountains for a day or
    so.
    So the plan is to head off on a Friday night to Linn of Dee then take
    bikes
    as far as we can towards Corrour. We'll stay in Corrour overnight then
    walk
    the hills (these definitely don't count as undulations) and return the
    next
    day.

    I've ridden in to Luibeg before which was a good track. The other
    alternative is to go via the White Bridge on the Chest of Dee (which I
    haven't done). Any thoughts on which is the better route? I anticipate all
    of the ride in will be in the dark.

    Thanks

    ..d


    David - a wee while since I was through there, but I believe that the NTS
    are actively downgrading the paths in order to discourage cycling. When I
    did these hills (a long summers day), I went in past Luibeg bridge and we
    dumped the bikes before the final descent into the Lairig Ghru (around
    NN990943) - such was the state of the path that it didn't seem to be
    worthwhile cycling any further. As for the White Bridge route, I cycled up
    the West side of the Dee to do Beinn Bhrotain. Again, the path deteriorates
    pretty badly just where the OS map shows the landrover track ending
    (NN986920). of course, the track on the East side of the Dee may be better
    for longer. . .

    Either way, I'm not convinced I'd be wanting to do either in the dark. Good
    luck and let us know how you get on.

    The idea is to bike as far as one can, ie to the end of the Landrover
    tracks. I think it will be in to Luibeg as the other route is on teh wrong
    side of the Dee and could be a bit interesting. Call me unadventurous but an
    unrecce'd river crossing at night in November isn't really high on my list
    of priorities.

    ...d

  4. On 19/10/04 9:49 pm, in article [email hidden],

    Chris Street said:

    www.writingwithlight.co.uk

    Connection refused?
    ...d

  5. On 19/10/04 10:04 pm, in article [email hidden],

    David Martin said:

    On 19/10/04 9:49 pm, in article [email hidden],

    Chris Street said:

    www.writingwithlight.co.uk

    Connection refused?
    ..d


    Seems to be a blueyonder issue as I can connect OK with lynx or telnet from
    my work machine (at home at the moment).

    ...d

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.