Bike Too Big For Me

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by bjoanne2000, Jul 24, 2003.

1. bjoanne2000

bjoanne2000 New Member

I will admit, I bought a bicycle way too big for me because it was a clearance item. 179 dollars for a bicycle that sold for mid 300.00 range. It is not a great bike but a good bike for getting back into shape, however it is so tall, when I do stop I have to get off the seat and stand or lean on something. Is this really detrimental to cycling? or should I try to find someone who is over 6 feet tall and wants to trade a shorter bike? falling off this one while my feet are locked into the cleats, is scarey because I am so high up I have a lot of time to think of how much it is going to hurt when I hit....LOL
    I have 2 other bicycles that are "my" size, but they aren't for road, and I am not ready for off road stuff just yet, I am still building my endurance, and legs.
    I am only 5'5" and this bike dwarfs my other 2.....
    Jo Anne

Tags:

2. Roquen

Roquen New Member

Hi there,
    ok, since us forum helpers can't be there in real life to measure you up, what you need to do is take the bike to a good shop, and get them to measure you up on and off thebike and tell you if enough adjustments can be made to make it safe, or if not, I'd recommend cutting your losses now and getting a bike that fits you, as the physio and doctors bills down the track are going to cost more!

You can certainly cause some serious problems if you arent the right size for that bike, the list is too long, but it will put a lot of strain on places cycling shouldnt, from personal experience, you do NOT want to get injured and cop a cortisone injection like I did to reduce swelling from an incorrectly fitted bike :)

hope this helps!
    ness

3. bjoanne2000

bjoanne2000 New Member

this bike is like 21 inch, I should be on a 17 1/2 to 18 in bike, but i got all happy because of a bargain:( I can sell it and get another, but the bike shop I purchased this from should have told me it was too big, and recommended another, all the guys at the other bike shops see me coming and first thing they say, is "your bike is too big for you"
    I am pretty sure there is nothing that can be done to fit me to it, my legs are at the correct extention when I pedal, the seat is at the correct angle, but I have to reach a long ways to the handle bars and I am leaning forward on a bike designed for upright riding...I think you are right, I should cut my losses and sell this one and get one that fits me. we have a trek dealing in town and he is very good! Maybe I will go see him, and discuss some bicycle options. Like maybe a real road bike:) I haven't ridden a road bike in 25 years!!

Thanks for the advice,
    Jo Anne

4. Geonz

Geonz New Member

I agree, fit is too important. There's somebody out there who should be on that bike:) Let it find it's place under the right butt.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Guest

I made the same mistake as you: purchased a 21 incher instead of an 18 or 19 inch frame. Sold the former and now have a 19 incher and what a difference in comfort factor. It feels great. Glad I sold the big one.

6. bjoanne2000

bjoanne2000 New Member

Until I can find a buyer for a low end bike, I am stuck with it, but I have been riding my mountain bikes more and seem to feel better after ride, but I have only ridden them on short rides, 12 miles. I hope I can find a buyer, and I need to get something out of it! It is a fairly new bicycle and has about 400 miles on it. So actually it is just getting broke in:) The only thing I changed on the bike is the shifters, I put shimano rapid fire shifters on it.
    would like to have something that fits me:)
    Jo Anne

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Guest

A much shorter stem for the handlebars might well be in order.

8. kmccormic22

kmccormic22 New Member

I too bought a bike too big for me. It was interesting reading what you went through before you realized it was too big.

I just bought a road bike, my first. I was so excited I can't even tell you. I spent a pretty penny on a beautiful LeMond. It was not sized to me.
    The third bike shop I went to commented on the size. It was quite disheartening to find there are bike shops who sell bikes for the mere profit.
    I am in a position now that is comfortable. I have adjusted my seat and bars to the extent. I am considering a shorter stem as I too am finding myself way too streched out. This has been causing major pains in the crook of my back after long rides. I am currently training for a century, and plan to finish on this bike.

My point I guess, is adjustments are possible. Ideally it would be great to go buy the bike of our dreams; however, this is not always possible, especially at the end of the season (for us in MN anyway).
    Best of luck to you!!

9. bjoanne2000

bjoanne2000 New Member

I don't know too much about LeMond, but I did check the net and they seem pretty spendy, thought the high end sales people would want to fit you for a bike so you would be happy and tell your friends...but my guess is, they hven't sold a bike in ages til you walked in...should be illegal to sell anyone a bicycle unless it fits them, and if they insist on buying one that doesn't fit, sign a waiver stating that you knew the bike was too big or too small.
    Which LeMond did you buy,, the Zurich or the tour.....something? or another one altogether?
    I think if I ever buy another bike, it will be a trek, as the trek dealer here in Medford Oregon wont even sell you a bike until you are "fitted", I would like to sell my crossroads and my schwinn and maybe get a trek but not sure what style of bike i want. I road my rockhopper last month on trails and it was a blast!!!!! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed riding in the woods. the only drawback was I have road tires on my rockhopper, and it needs brakes, they are 20 years old and don't stop so good.. plus I dont want to hurt my rockhopper, it is a classic:) but maybe I will get a new mtn bike or road bike:)
    Hope you were able to get your LeMond ridable for you.
    Jo Anne

10. lesliegee

lesliegee New Member

I ride a Lemond Tourmalet. I inherited it from my boyfriend's son. As compared with the 25 year old 10 speed I rode before this, it's an absolute dream. I hated those old friction shifters - and love the rapid shifters. After riding it for three years, I am now finding things I'd like changed though. It is a tad too big, and find that my hands have a tendency to go numb even if I move them around a lot. I've read a lot about the woman's bikes available now. I've read good things about Trek's womans models. The have shorter top tubes, and shorter shifter levers that are supposed to be closer to the handle bars so you don't have as long a reach. Lemond also has some good woman's bikes - and am thinking about the next bike I get will be the Lemond Zurich. I bought my BF an new one for his 50th birthday this year (obviously the men's model), and he loves it.

11. elrohwen

elrohwen New Member

You said you were taking your mountain bikes out on rides ... I think that's a great idea. I'm still saving up money for my first road bike (I'm a poor college student :) ) and I've used my mountain bike for everything (and it's big heavy and made of steel). I have nice smooth road tires for it which help a lot ... I highly recommend getting some. I did a tour with my dad this summer where we did about 60 miles a day for two days ... all on a mountain bike :) Plus, by the time you do get that nice road bike you'll be in great shape because you'll have been working so much harder on the mountain bikes.

12. Jade

Jade New Member

Wow. I am 5' 5" and have not been on anything smaller than a 24 inch since I was a kid. I just can't get myself to ride them at all. Am I too weird? I also cant ride a bike specifically designed for women and really prefer the design of the older style men's bikes. The ones where the top bar, (or should I say tube?) is almost parellel to the ground.

Of course it all started when I got this hand me down of a huge 26" mountainbike from my brother. I was about 24 and down on my luck at the time. It was my only transportation. I learned to love that bike and never knew how much I would miss it once I gave it back to him a year 1/2 later for his stepson to use. But I had a car by then and eventually forgot. Till recently when I needed a type of excercise I could enjoy... that would be more than just excercise. You know... something I would actually do. LOL. And love doing.

I feel like a giant on anything less, but I do feel I need to get a shorter stem for the used Specialized Hardrock I recently purchased.
    Once I do, it will be perfect.
    For me, that is.
    Me being weird that way and all. :)