bike too big?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kenny Ken, May 4, 2003.

  1. Kenny Ken

    Kenny Ken Guest

    ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th bike
    is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"

    but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?

    what do you guys think?

    thanks.

    --
    k.kennyken at rogers dot com

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:io9ta.87102$w7k.15329
    @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:
    > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
    > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"

    Inch sizes can be pretty meaningless with mountain bikes because geometries differ so much from bike
    to bike. However, a 19 inch frame sounds several inches too big for you. How much clearance do you
    have between your crotch and your top tube when standing flat footed? 3 inches of clearance is a
    good starting point for technical riding.

  3. "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
    > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
    >
    > but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?
    >
    > what do you guys think? thanks. k. kennyken at rogers dot com

    Your voice has a very high pitch for some reason. This could be it.

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountainbiking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  4. Kenny Ken

    Kenny Ken Guest

    i have pretty much NO clearence!

    k.

    --
    l.kennyken at rogers dot com "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:io9ta.87102$w7k.15329
    > @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:
    > > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
    > > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
    >
    > Inch sizes can be pretty meaningless with mountain bikes because
    geometries
    > differ so much from bike to bike. However, a 19 inch frame sounds several inches too big for you.
    > How much clearance do you have between your
    crotch
    > and your top tube when standing flat footed? 3 inches of clearance is a
    good
    > starting point for technical riding.

  5. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
    > > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
    > >
    > > but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a
    > > problem?
    > >
    > > what do you guys think? thanks. k. kennyken at rogers dot com
    >

    > Your voice has a very high pitch for some reason. This could be it.
    >
    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    >
    > I've spent most of my money on mountainbiking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

    ROTFLMAO!

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

  7. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Sun, 04 May 2003 14:24:14 GMT, "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> blathered:

    >ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
    >bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
    >
    >but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?
    >
    >what do you guys think?

    Can we see a picture of you next to your bike? I'm thinking 'Mr Tickle' here.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  8. Wanguard

    Wanguard Guest

    big for road bike, waaay to big for off road. Even if you are comfortable on bigger bike, a size
    smaller is easier to extend in setup and is better on tech stuff.

    D'

    "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
    > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
    >
    > but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?
    >
    > what do you guys think?
    >
    > thanks.
    >

    > --
    > k.kennyken at rogers dot com

  9. On Sun, 04 May 2003 15:51:52 +0000, Kenny Ken did issue forth:

    > i have pretty much NO clearence!

    OK, that's bad then. Unless you've got absolutely no intention to have kids at any point, of course.

    --
    Huw Pritchard

  10. It sounds too big.

    I'm 5'6" also and ride a medium (16" from CL of BB to CL of top tube....18" to top of seat post)
    Proflex. I just went to this frame after using one that was 2" bigger for the last several years. I
    was roughly in the same situation you are in. No stand over height at all.

    There is a big difference for technical riding on the smaller frame, but not much on street. As long
    as you have the stem and bars set up so you aren't reaching too far, you're fine. But I would highly
    recommend going with a smaller frame...it's a lot easier to control on the trail and and a lot more
    fun to get radical on.

    "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
    > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
    >
    > but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?
    >
    > what do you guys think?
    >
    > thanks.
    >

    > --
    > k.kennyken at rogers dot com

  11. Kenny Ken

    Kenny Ken Guest

    yeah i think ur right... my bikes already on ebay

    --
    k.kennyken at rogers dot com "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It sounds too big.
    >
    > I'm 5'6" also and ride a medium (16" from CL of BB to CL of top
    tube....18"
    > to top of seat post) Proflex. I just went to this frame after using one that was 2" bigger for the
    > last several years. I was roughly in the same situation you are in. No stand over height at all.
    >
    > There is a big difference for technical riding on the smaller frame, but
    not
    > much on street. As long as you have the stem and bars set up so you
    aren't
    > reaching too far, you're fine. But I would highly recommend going with a smaller frame...it's a
    > lot easier to control on the trail and and a lot
    more
    > fun to get radical on.
    >

    > "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
    > > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
    > >
    > > but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a
    > > problem?
    > >
    > > what do you guys think?
    > >
    > > thanks.
    > >

    > > --
    > > k.kennyken at rogers dot com

  12. Chris

    Chris Guest

    i am 5'6" and ride a 17"..usually a medium... i am looking to go down to a small range (15") on my
    next ride for more technical trails. i ride/race mostly xc singletrack now...