bike too big?

Kenny Ken

Guest
ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th bike
is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"

but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?

what do you guys think?

thanks.

--
k.kennyken at rogers dot com

"Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:io9ta.87102$w7k.15329
@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:
> ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
> bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"

Inch sizes can be pretty meaningless with mountain bikes because geometries differ so much from bike
to bike. However, a 19 inch frame sounds several inches too big for you. How much clearance do you
have between your crotch and your top tube when standing flat footed? 3 inches of clearance is a
good starting point for technical riding.

"Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
> bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
>
> but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?
>
> what do you guys think? thanks. k. kennyken at rogers dot com

Your voice has a very high pitch for some reason. This could be it.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountainbiking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

i have pretty much NO clearence!

k.

--
l.kennyken at rogers dot com "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:io9ta.87102$w7k.15329
> @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:
> > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
> > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
>
> Inch sizes can be pretty meaningless with mountain bikes because
geometries
> differ so much from bike to bike. However, a 19 inch frame sounds several inches too big for you.
> How much clearance do you have between your
crotch
> and your top tube when standing flat footed? 3 inches of clearance is a
good
> starting point for technical riding.

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
> > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
> >
> > but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a
> > problem?
> >
> > what do you guys think? thanks. k. kennyken at rogers dot com
>

> Your voice has a very high pitch for some reason. This could be it.
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountainbiking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

ROTFLMAO!

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

On Sun, 04 May 2003 14:24:14 GMT, "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> blathered:

>ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
>bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
>
>but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?
>
>what do you guys think?

Can we see a picture of you next to your bike? I'm thinking 'Mr Tickle' here.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

big for road bike, waaay to big for off road. Even if you are comfortable on bigger bike, a size
smaller is easier to extend in setup and is better on tech stuff.

D'

"Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
> bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
>
> but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?
>
> what do you guys think?
>
> thanks.
>

> --
> k.kennyken at rogers dot com

On Sun, 04 May 2003 15:51:52 +0000, Kenny Ken did issue forth:

> i have pretty much NO clearence!

OK, that's bad then. Unless you've got absolutely no intention to have kids at any point, of course.

--
Huw Pritchard

It sounds too big.

I'm 5'6" also and ride a medium (16" from CL of BB to CL of top tube....18" to top of seat post)
Proflex. I just went to this frame after using one that was 2" bigger for the last several years. I
was roughly in the same situation you are in. No stand over height at all.

There is a big difference for technical riding on the smaller frame, but not much on street. As long
as you have the stem and bars set up so you aren't reaching too far, you're fine. But I would highly
recommend going with a smaller frame...it's a lot easier to control on the trail and and a lot more
fun to get radical on.

"Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
> bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
>
> but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a problem?
>
> what do you guys think?
>
> thanks.
>

> --
> k.kennyken at rogers dot com

yeah i think ur right... my bikes already on ebay

--
k.kennyken at rogers dot com "Iggy Peuterbaugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It sounds too big.
>
> I'm 5'6" also and ride a medium (16" from CL of BB to CL of top
tube....18"
> to top of seat post) Proflex. I just went to this frame after using one that was 2" bigger for the
> last several years. I was roughly in the same situation you are in. No stand over height at all.
>
> There is a big difference for technical riding on the smaller frame, but
not
> much on street. As long as you have the stem and bars set up so you
aren't
> reaching too far, you're fine. But I would highly recommend going with a smaller frame...it's a
> lot easier to control on the trail and and a lot
more
> fun to get radical on.
>

> "Kenny Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > ive been riding a 19.5 inch frame for around 6yrs. people have been telling me recently that th
> > bike is too big for me and i might run into problems doing technical trails... i'm 5'6"
> >
> > but ive havent had any serious crashes or problems arise where i think my bike size was a
> > problem?
> >
> > what do you guys think?
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> > --
> > k.kennyken at rogers dot com

i am 5'6" and ride a 17"..usually a medium... i am looking to go down to a small range (15") on my
next ride for more technical trails. i ride/race mostly xc singletrack now...