BIKE TOUR COMING UP -- WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU HAD DONE/NOT DONE ON YOUR TOUR?

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, y'all![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]As some of you know, my credit-card tour is coming up really quickly -- in 10 days, as a matter of fact. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/COLOR] I've trained for it about as well as I could, given the weather we've had and the fact that my daughter's moving to a new apartment, I'm moving to a different state, I'm volunteering for 3 days at the Jazz Festival, and I'm just plain running out of time. Given that, I'm not as trained as I had HOPED to be, back in October, but I've done the best I could do and am satisfied with that, and will just do the best I can on the tour -- and enjoy riding the sag wagon if I have to, lol.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]My question, therefore, is this: If you've taken sag-supported bike tours, What do you wish you had known or done differently than you did? Is there anything you wish you had taken with you or left home? Anything I should look for or avoid? Any hints on how to get the most possible enjoyment out of it? [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]I would love hearing your stories and tips to add to my experience and excitement![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Even with SAG support, I would carry on your bike:

correct size spare tube
tire levers
multi-tool (I have the Park IB-3)
electrical tape--very handy
2 (or more) water bottles
small First Aid kit
some Zip ties
cellphone with SAG drivers' numbers, ride director's number, etc.
wet wipes
cash
snack of some sort

Just because there's SAG support doesn't mean they'll be nearby, or that you'll always be on course. When I ride, I always try to be as self-sufficient as I reasonable can. That way, if I'm riding alone or get separated from a tour, most breakdowns are not a big problem, and I'm not stuck on the side of the road somewhere waiting on someone to pick me up. I've even helped fellow riders get back on their way without having to wait on a SAG van to appear.

Jason

P.S. I keep the spare tube in its box to help keep it from getting punctured by something else in my underseat pack.

Jason

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, JP![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]That's exactly the type of response I needed. I had planned on taking most of those, but you came up with a couple I hadn't thought about.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= #0000ff]THANKS! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]

It all depends on the level of support you'll be getting - both with transporting clothing around in the back of the van and how the Tour ride itself is organized (does the group stay together or do riders ride at their own pace etc.)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with electrical tape, zip ties and a first aid kit but each to his/her own.

On the bike stuff:

-Phone (I'd check on your providers map whether you're likely to get coverage where you're riding first)
-Two tubes.
-Puncture repair kit with a 2.5" piece of old tire (just trim the wire/kevlar) bead off.
-Tire levers
-A real bike pump. 23" of inflating goodness that doubles as a dog cosh.
-"multitool" - something like the Park Rescue tool if the SAG waggon is basically just a "bag carrying meet you at lunch" van. If you have a chain that requires a special pin then don't forget that. If you or your hubby don't know how to adjust half the things on the bike that the tool is designed to adjust then don't bother with it.

If the SAG is going to be close by nearly all of the time then I'd just ride with tubes, levers and pump. Phone would be optional if you wanted to use the camera on it... or if you had a camera.

If you have medical insurance with a provider that isn't in the area you're riding in then having some sort of paper work that has the details of where to call and your medical records number. A copy of your drivers license is useful too. Figure that if you really need this stuff then you'll likely not be in a condition to talk to the paramedics and hubby might not be in the best state to answer all the questions really quickly. If you make a copy of these items at home on an ink-jet printer remember that the ink will likely run if it gets wet. Get copies laminated at Kinko's/FedEx or somewhere similar.

Off the bike stuff:

Big ziplock bags. If you have "drip dry only" bike shorts then the bags are great for storing almost dry shorts. Of course you can greatly speed up the drying process with the ol' towel trick. Lay wet shorts on dry towel and roll 'em up together and gently twist. Hotels with lots of towels are a wonderful thing ;)

Washing power/liquid. If you have a need for any special detergents/washing powder for bike clothes then don't forget this. I know that after about 10 days of using regular washing powder with biological stuff in it to wash my bike shorts then bad things start to happen, even if I choose the 'extra rinse' cycle on the washer. It's a simple thing that can turn a two week trip somewhere into an irritating experience. Literally. For regular clothes this isn't an issue for me - but for bike shorts it's a big deal.

Suncream/sunblock. Oddly, you can never find this stuff in the middle of nowhere and if you can it's about 6 times the price of your local store.

Socks. Mo' socks. You can never ever have too many pairs of clean, dry cycling socks.

Bike Food: Gels, energy drinks, magic potions/elixers etc etc Trying something new on Tour is the last place you want to try something. If they state that they are providing energy drinks then find out what they're going to be offering and try it for a couple of weeks before you leave. If you have to take your own then packets are the way to go rather than a big honking plastic container with a scoop. I normally use Hammer products in the big 50 serving container at home but if I need to go somewhere I buy the stuff in packets in bulk from Hammer.com.

Spokes. Depending on the level of support and your bike (you have a 8 speed hub with internal gears, right?) you might want to just get a few spokes for the front and rear wheel and a spoke key to stuff in the suitcase. This is really more applicable for touring loaded with panniers (we used to strap spare spokes to the bike pump) but especially with your rear wheel, it could be a show stopper if you bust a couple of spokes. Two for the front and two for either side for the back should do it... and a spoke key. ;) If your tour goes through reasonably sized towns then I'd guess that the SAG man may drop you off at a bike store for a quick repair.

Sierra, I know this isn't advice (you've already gotten some of that), but I just want to say that I admire your effort. I know you'll do just and fine and have a ball! Enjoy and let us know how it went, when you get back. Steve

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hey, Guys![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Swampy, [/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I would NOT have thought of the washing liquid for my bike clothes, or of the extra spokes and key, so that's really helpful. At the price of bike shorts, I'd hate for them to wear out any faster than normal! Thanks. The Sag wagon is supposed to be fairly close by every day except one, when we're on a non-motorized vehicle trail for 54 miles. (I'll probably wimp out at the half-way point on that one, lol.) But I do want to be as prepared as possible so as not to need them! (And by the way, I'm impressed that you remember what kind of hub I have.) [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Steve, what a sweet thing to say. I would be a little more excited about the tour if I felt more trained, but the plan at this point is just to go and have a good time riding it as much as I can, enjoy my sister's company, and plan to do another one at some point when my life is a little less chaotic and I can train better. I'll just consider this one a practice run, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks, y'all![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Sierra[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sierra, I'm sure you've already thought about this, but just in case /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif , don't forget to take some Aleve or the pain killer/anti-inflametory pills you prefer.

Even if you're feeling fine I would still take a couple in the evenings just to make sure you're at your best for the next days ride. It might help to keep you from stiffening up while you sleep and at the very least, they won't do you any harm even if you don't need them. And I hope you don't need them.

Have fun!

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Paramount,[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I had indeed already thought of that, but I can always use a reminder, lol. With the arthritis in my knees, doing my longest rides ever -- which I've only done once a week -- four days in a row is really going to be a test of balancing between how far I can push myself and making sure I still get to enjoy the rides, which is the main goal. I dreamed the other night that I fell and broke my leg the first day, and spent the whole tour in the Sag wagon, nursing my leg and waving at all the other cyclists as we went by, lol. (Maybe it was wishful thinking.... NOT!) [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely be taking something at night to ease the inflammation and help me be ready for the next day. I just have to make sure I stay sober the whole time, LOL.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Have a good one. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Keep eating and drinking. A few years back I rode with a guy who - thought - he was feeling pretty good and convinced us to skip a rest stop. He bonked soon after, luckily I had my squeeze bottle of honey handy and made him take a good pull. The honey helped him get to the next rest stop, but he was pretty exhausted.

Have a sense of humor, being able to break out into a song or exchange jokes can break the monotony of a long stretch. My group has been fond of Dave Chapelle's Lil John impression. We use it as a way to check in with the others from time to time. The initiator will shout "What!", someone closer by will respond "Yeah" followed by "OK!" from someone else. After a while other groups would respond in part.

If you are riding solo or in a smaller group, find others that you can ride with at a comfortable pace. I am tall, ride steady and block a lot of wind; the tours I have been on, my team of 4 quickly became a pace-line of 15 or more. You will find that many groups like pulling additional riders along.

A note on ZipLoc baggies, they are not completely waterproof. I had a phone and cash get wet during a rainy ride even though the items were in baggies. It appears that, if wet for long enough, moisture gets pulled into the bag. Next time I will try to put some dessicant packs in the baggies.

I second spokes, I have replaced spokes on my own wheels and others on a few occasions. Mechanics at the rides don't always have the spoke you may need. I hide my spokes in the seat post, I ram some foam in the hollow end and then insert the spokes in the foam. They can also be easily secured to the frame with electrical tape.

Not sure if you are into caffeine. If you are starting to feel exhausted caffeine can change your outlook. I only use it after I am well into a ride and only use it sparingly, but it works. I usually carry a few no-doz along on a ride and take 1/2 a pill when I feel the fatigue coming in.

Other items: sunglasses, bike mirror, multitool, tube, patches, frame pump, CO2 inflator, tireboot, cellphone, folding poncho, chamois butter, folding spare tire

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hi, Maydog![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks for the suggestions. I do need to keep eating and drinking, because I have blood-sugar problems and tend to 'bonk' rather easily even when I'm not biking, lol. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]The sense of humor is what may get me through it all. My sister and I are taking the tour together, are both new to biking, and are so laughably realistic in our assessment of how we'll do that we've named ourselves Team Last-A-Lot, lol. But we crack each other up all the time, and I think that will help miraculously when we're both about to die from exhaustion. Because we're new and slow, we probably won't be CLOSE enough to anybody to draft, but at least we'll be able to laugh about it.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I didn't know that Ziplocks weren't waterproof, so thanks for that eye-opener.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I don't really drink a lot of caffeine, but am certainly not averse to using it when I feel the need. I generally use Diet Dr. Pepper for my caffeine because I don't like coffee! At least I can pack a can or two. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]These hints are all helpful, y'all, so thanks!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

You have been given a lot of good ideas. One thing that you have going for you is that you are planning on riding with your sister. Therefore, some of the items that have been suggested, such as a multi-tool, needs to be carried by one of you but not both. Same for a tire pump and possibly the first aid kit. I would take a small bottle of sunblock on the road so that you can reapply it as needed. Sometimes you can sweat off sunblock and get a burn. No fun getting burned the first day and feeling it the rest of the tour.

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hey, KD![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I wouldn't have thought of sharing tools with my sister -- though I don't know why not, since it's so obvious -- but that's a great idea![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Carrying sunblock with me is also a good one. I always apply it in the morning, but I do have to worry about it being sweated off on long days, and being a fair-skinned red-headed lass from Ireland, I REALLY burn when I burn. (I actually gave myself blood poisoning once from a sunburn when I fell asleep at the lake. NOT fun.) [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I'm getting so excited. Let's hope adrenalin can make up for lack of training, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Have a good one. And thanks. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I haven't seen sunglasses mentioned. If you wear contacts you might choose to keep a pair of thin nitrile type gloves in the event you have to fix a flat. After fixing a flat without gloves I'm in trouble if I have to try to take out a contact and replace it unless I wear nitrile (or latex) gloves. I leave the pump for the sag wagon and keep a C02 cartridge (two of them) with me. I once did a self contained tour with my wife and cussed the first night as night fell and we realized we had brought no flashlight of any kind. I live in Alaska where a flashlight is meaningless in the summer so regardless of how many lists we made it never occurred to us to bring a flashlight. Dark in the summer? Whoever heard of that nonsense?

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hi, Digibud![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I don't wear contacts, but if I did, the gloves suggstion would be invaluable.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]And I do love the idea of a C02 cartridge; had not thought of that. AND a flashlight. Even though we won't be where it's dark in the daytime, I find they help immensely in seeing small things in the shade -- which is where I plan to be fixing any problems, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

I've seen the shortcomings of CO2 cartridges (though not firsthand).

Now that I've got two week-long tours under my belt, and one 2-day tour, I'm not inclined to ever switch to CO2 cartridges. The small pumps that mount underneath a water bottle cage are far more useful in my opinion. On my tours, there were several people who had multiple flats, and ran out of CO2, whereas when I was on my 2-day tour, my small hand pump took care of at least two people who had flats without having to wait on SAG.

Once they're empty, they're zero use, whereas the hand pumps will keep going.

I mount my hand pump on the seat tube, under the water bottle cage. I used to mount it on the down tube, but found that it interfered with the spring clamp for my (cheap) repair stand, so I moved it. It may be the same type of repair stand on the SAG vehicles.

Just something to consider.

Jason

Yeah, CO2 cartridges are worthless once used, but they are a lot easier than pumping after a flat. The chances of getting multple flats during a ride are slim as long as the person repairing the flat does it correctly, i.e. removes the initial cause of the flat prior to reinstalling the tube and tire. But because I tend to over insure myself, I carry one of these: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031026_-1_1594008_20000_400032

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hi, Digibud![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]I don't wear contacts, but if I did, the gloves suggstion would be invaluable.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]And I do love the idea of a C02 cartridge; had not thought of that. AND a flashlight. Even though we won't be where it's dark in the daytime, I find they help immensely in seeing small things in the shade -- which is where I plan to be fixing any problems, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks!![/COLOR][/SIZE]
Instead of a flashlight you may want to consider mounting a head light combo kit on your bike. For the price this combo set works well and the head lamp slides right out of the bracket and you can use it a a flashlight.http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_507031_-1_201905_10000_202623

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hey, Guys![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Y'all are full of so much helpful information. I love it![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]After reading the links on your C02 cartridges and pumps, I think I like best the idea DaveReo suggested for the C02 infllator pump combo; that way, I can do it either way. My kind of thinking![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]And I also like the looks of the head light combo. I'll have to check with the tour guide to see if I really need that for this tour, because since they're furnishing the bikes, they may have the light situation taken care of. And I never ride in the dark at home, because I can barely see in the light, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Thanks again for the help! I'm learning, I'm learning! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif[/COLOR][/SIZE]