bike trade-ins (melbourne) ?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by dej, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. dej

    dej Guest

    gday,
    anyone know of stores around melb that will accept trade-ins on bikes?
    im trying to offload my litespeed roady so i can buy a decent mtb but
    no one
    wants to buy the litespeed on ebay:(
    figured trade-in would be a last resort..

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy will definately do a trade-in and have a good MTB range - ask for big Rob. :)

  3. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    dej wrote:
    > gday,
    > anyone know of stores around melb that will accept trade-ins on bikes?
    > im trying to offload my litespeed roady so i can buy a decent mtb but
    > no one
    > wants to buy the litespeed on ebay:(
    > figured trade-in would be a last resort..

    Another alternative would be trying to sell it through a bike club.
    What's the details of the bike? Size? Groupset etc?

  4. dej

    dej Guest

    ahh thanks, yeah, not a member of any club so didnt really think of
    that..
    its a litespeed capella (2004) alu frame with carbon forks, carbon rear
    shimano 9sp ultegra group with fsa compact crankset, ultegra spdsl
    pedals
    ITM bars/stem
    mavic cosmos wheels, sigma bc1600 computer
    size is medium/large (55.3 top tube, 73.1cm standover) frame weight
    1300grams
    the cranks / chainrings have done about 500kms at most..
    rest of the bike is about 7000kms old..

  5. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    Bicycle Recycle, South Rd., Moorabbin, 9555 8692. They also buy bikes, so they'll most likely give you cash for it, but obviously nowhere near as much as you'd get if you sold it elsewhere. You need ID to sell them a bike

  6. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    some of the shops might be happy to hang it up and offer to consignment sell for you, if you want to buy their product...just depends how well you know them...

    but yeah, whats the specs?...you'll probably sell it quick here...no promises but never know!

    cheers

  7. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    You should be able to get more selling it on ebay or on bike forums than you would get as a trade in.

  8. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    just dont go in unwashed, starry eyed and offer them a full dura ace and corima equipped track bike for a few hundred, you might see a few blue shirts in the flesh kinda sooner than expected....

    although last week this wasnt the case...a friend had his house broken into in Sth Melb, they stole a roadie (bling bling), a top track bike and an MTB...

    the roadie and trackie were customs so he called the maker who called BicRecycle, they actually had the dudes there at the time and the maker called the 000 line and after 20 mins nothing happened. Called the cops again and they didnt beleive that the dudes were thiefs and asked the maker how do you know its a stolen bike? WTF...BS BS BS from them...so the maker called the local constabulary and they whizzed over there, but the dudes had got sick of being stalled and took off (with the bikes), later that day they got tracked to two other LBSs and a Cashies and that night were picked up at Sunshine with most of their booty...the trackie was redeemed from the Cashies for $150 bucks , it was worth over $2k+ and cost a lot more to build up.

    bloody hell what a process

    have your bikes ID recorded and an identifying mark, transponder, etching, secret sign on them, and have the local police dudes number handy, save a lot of heartache!

    Kinda OT , but well a reminder now and again doesnt hurt us eh?

  9. On 2006-05-01, SomeGuy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > You should be able to get more selling it on ebay or on bike forums
    > than you would get as a trade in.

    Which is always the case. The shop has to be able to sell it at a
    profit. You sell to the shop, they sell it to somebody else. Stands to
    reason that if you cut out the middleman (aka the shop), you pocket more
    of the cash.

    Worst case, you could try stripping it down to the components ...

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Nooooooooooooooooo!!!

    Dont do it, Dej!
    that is a noice bike. you may actually get more selling it in bits?
    (not that i have done this...)

  11. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    holy cr*p!! where about in South Melbourne ? I live on Park Street near the intersection with Kings Way, I am insured should they get stolen, but still don't want them stolen.

  12. but but what about all the fun to be had doing face plants in the 24hr
    mtb races!
    it is a nice bike, i like it a lot:(
    just dunno if i can afford a good mtb without selling this one first

  13. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    SuzieB wrote:

    > dej Wrote:
    >
    >>gday,
    >>anyone know of stores around melb that will accept trade-ins on bikes?
    >>im trying to offload my litespeed roady so i can buy a decent mtb but
    >>no one
    >>wants to buy the litespeed on ebay:(
    >>figured trade-in would be a last resort..
    >>
    >>thanks

    > Brunswick Street Cycles in Fitzroy will definately do a trade-in and
    > have a good MTB range - ask for big Rob. :)

    After scaring myself on the TCR on the mad ride I think I am looking for
    a TREK btw guys.

    Dave

  14. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "dej" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > gday,
    > anyone know of stores around melb that will accept trade-ins on bikes?
    > im trying to offload my litespeed roady so i can buy a decent mtb but
    > no one
    > wants to buy the litespeed on ebay:(
    > figured trade-in would be a last resort..
    >
    > thanks

    You were obviously asking too much money on ebay....put it on with no
    reserve and I guarantee you will sell it. Let the market set the price.

    Gags