Bike Trail near San Antonio Tx???

Gene

Guest
I am going to be in San Antonio Texas for a while. I would like to have a paved off-road place to
bike and skate. I heard there is a place up the road in Austin but I would like to know of a place a
bit closer if one exists. I want to take my Bent, but if I have to ride on the street, I may just
take my Mtn. Bike. Thanks.

Gene

Gene, The Mission Trail Hike and Bike trail in San Antonio runs approximately 7 miles connecting 4
historic missions. Here's a link to info on the missions
http://www.sanantoniocvb.com/visitors/things_missions.asp. Part of the trail is currently under
construction, but is navigable. We ride the trail several times per month on our Greenspeed GTT. It
can be a bit crowded on weekends with families out for a ride, skate, or walk, but not too bad.

If you will be staying near downtown, or within the portion of the city bounded by the 410 loop, you
can reach the trail by bike. If you drive, best option is to go to the southernmost mission
(Espada), and ride north on the trail. There are plenty of road routes through the country south of
the missions, if you want more miles. Also check out rides with the San Antonio Wheelmen
http://www.sawheelmen.com/ if you want to do group rides.

Enjoy, Steve Wood

[email protected] (Gene) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am going to be in San Antonio Texas for a while. I would like to have a paved off-road place to
> bike and skate. I heard there is a place up the road in Austin but I would like to know of a place
> a bit closer if one exists. I want to take my Bent, but if I have to ride on the street, I may
> just take my Mtn. Bike. Thanks.
>
> Gene

San Antonio is 90 miles south of Austin. The bike path in Austin is 3 miles around called the
velaway. It is across from the Lady Bird Johnson Wild Flower off William Canonon "the loop". I
understand there is also a path along the Colorado river downtown but I believe it is sand. Bob
Milligan Rock Island, IL