Bike trailer question

favabean1982

May 2, 2018
Hello everyone-I'm getting back into cycling after too long of a hiatus and would love to get my children involved. My two-year old son has been begging to ride in the Bell bike trailer we purchased from a rummage sale a few years ago-it's in good shape, however the clamp that clamps around the bike frame itself has a bit of an issue in that the rubber on the clamp is starting to wear away, exposing the metal underneath. Although there's still a substantial amount of rubber left, there's enough metal exposed where, even if I just clamp it onto my bike for a moment, it scrapes away a bit of the finish (I just got a brand new black Trek).
Any thoughts on how I can protect the finish and still use the trailer? Should I wrap the clamp in tape or something along those lines? Is there a replacement part I can purchase somewhere, or should I just bite the bullet a purchase a new trailer? That last part would be a bit of a bummer, as the trailer's in good shape, so any thoughts on how to save it would be appreciated!

There are several ways you can handle this, one is to contact the maker and see if they sell a replacement rubber for the clamp (or maybe they can only sell you a new clamp with a new rubber piece). Two, you could scrape off the old rubber and buy a new piece of rubber that you would have to cut to fit and glue it on. Three, you could wrap the frame with black Gorilla tape, which is thicker than electrical tape, where the clamp comes into contact on the frame then clamp over the tape.