Bike Trailers and Orange Sub 5 MTB

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tribalkev, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Tribalkev

    Tribalkev Guest

    I am considering buying a traler to take the sprogs out on my bike however after doing some research
    they all seem to attatch to the rear triangle of the bike. Heres where my problem starts, i own a
    Orange Sub5 and it doesnt have a rear traingle, instead it has a box section swing arm which tapers
    down to about 1 1/2" by 3/4" will it be possible to attach a trailer to this. I would try it out but
    none of my local bike shops stock any trailers.

    Cheers Kev

    Tags:

  2. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Have a look at the Burley trailers and their "alternative hitch"

    SW

    "TribalKev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering buying a traler to take the sprogs out on my bike however after doing some
    > research they all seem to attatch to the rear triangle of the bike. Heres where my problem starts,
    > i own a Orange Sub5 and it doesnt have a
    rear
    > traingle, instead it has a box section swing arm which tapers down to
    about
    > 1 1/2" by 3/4" will it be possible to attach a trailer to this. I would try it out but none of my
    > local bike shops stock any trailers.
    >
    > Cheers Kev

  3. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, TribalKev
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I am considering buying a traler to take the sprogs out on my bike however after doing some
    >research they all seem to attatch to the rear triangle of the bike.

    Not all, but most do as standard.

    >Heres where my problem starts, i own a Orange Sub5 and it doesnt have a rear traingle, instead it
    >has a box section swing arm which tapers down to about 1 1/2" by 3/4" will it be possible to attach
    >a trailer to this. I would try it out but none of my local bike shops stock any trailers.

    I doubt that the standard hitches will fit that as they are as you say designed to clamp around a
    normal rear triangle.

    But you can get fixings that attach to the rear wheel axle.

    I have a Chariot trailer, and chose to have Weber hitch fitted instead of the standard one. This has
    part attached to the bike and the hitch arm slots onto this.

    You can get alternative bike fixtures, one of which is an axle fitting attachment (it stays attached
    to the bike, but is not that bulky or heavy)

    AIUI Chariot now do their own alternative hitches which can have an axle fitting attachment.

    Have a look at Two plus Two.

    <http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/ctrailers/index.html>
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. Spiky

    Spiky Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:33:50 +0100, TribalKev wrote:

    > I am considering buying a traler to take the sprogs out on my bike however after doing some
    > research they all seem to attatch to the rear triangle of the bike. Heres where my problem starts,
    > i own a Orange Sub5 and it doesnt have a rear traingle, instead it has a box section swing arm
    > which tapers down to about 1 1/2" by 3/4" will it be possible to attach a trailer to this. I would
    > try it out but none of my local bike shops stock any trailers.
    >
    > Cheers Kev

    Someone has pointed out that you can get axel mounting systems but I would seriously think twice
    about this. I ride a hardtail so I am not commenting from experience but just mechanical
    observation. If you mount the trailer on the rear swingarm(however it's done, axel or otherwise): 1
    - You will you lock out the rear suspension. Okay if you are towing it's not much of an issue as
    you'll probably be towing on smooth surfaces. 2 - More importantly you are going to greatly increase
    the forces acting on the swingarm pivot. Disregarding the weight of the trailer, the twisting forces
    that could be exerted on the swingarm could trash the pivots quickly.

    A seatpost mounted system would counter both of these issues. However, the best source of advice has
    got to be Orange a call. They are engineers and by all reports pretty helpful. Either they will have
    answered the question before and be able to make a recommendation or they will be able to tell you
    if the force on the shock pivot could cause a problem.

  5. Tribalkev

    Tribalkev Guest

    "TribalKev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering buying a traler to take the sprogs out on my bike however after doing some
    > research they all seem to attatch to the rear triangle of the bike. Heres where my problem starts,
    > i own a Orange Sub5 and it doesnt have a
    rear
    > traingle, instead it has a box section swing arm which tapers down to
    about
    > 1 1/2" by 3/4" will it be possible to attach a trailer to this. I would try it out but none of my
    > local bike shops stock any trailers.
    >
    > Cheers Kev

    Thanks for the advice all, i will give orange a call and see what they recomend.

    Cheers Kev

  6. [email protected] schreef ...

    > "TribalKev" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am considering buying a traler to take the sprogs out on my bike however after doing some
    > > research they all seem to attatch to the rear triangle of the bike. Heres where my problem
    > > starts, i own a Orange Sub5 and it doesnt have a
    > rear
    > > traingle, instead it has a box section swing arm which tapers down to
    > about
    > > 1 1/2" by 3/4" will it be possible to attach a trailer to this. I would try it out but none of
    > > my local bike shops stock any trailers.
    > >
    > > Cheers Kev
    > >

    > Thanks for the advice all, i will give orange a call and see what they recomend.

    There are child trailers which attach through the same system as the Bob Yak trailer: a U-shaped
    attachment thing that hitches on *both* sides of the wheel through a special QR. Keep in mind though
    that F/S bikes and trailers don't always mix: the trailers exerts a considerable rearward force,
    something the suspension was not designed to cope with.

    --
    Regards, Marten