Bike trails in Bend Oregon

Gill

Guest
Am heading down to Bend Oregon next week and would like to know which trails might be open at this
time of year. Also, which rides are recommended (am looking for intermediate-advanced ones).

gill wrote:
> Am heading down to Bend Oregon next week and would like to know which trails might be open at this
> time of year. Also, which rides are recommended (am looking for intermediate-advanced ones).

You'd have to check with the local bike shops or the ranger district to see what's open. Any of the
bike shops will the local trail map that shows most of the trails. You can pick it up for about $6.
I was there last summer. I never found anything "advanced"... the terrain is pretty rolling with the
occasional lava flow that you wouldn't want to biff into. Overrated as a "mecca" if you ask me, but
then I ride in Idaho...

I did the Sparks/Lava Trail which was a longish, easy intermediate ride. It's 22 miles rolling
singletrack that runs behind the west side of Mt Bachelor, a one way ride that you can either loop
by coming back on the road, do an out and back, or leave a car at one end.

The ride that was recommended as the real killer is the Edison/Lava, Lots of up and then
lots of down.

I took the kids on Cultus lake trail.

If you get the rec map, you'll see there are a lot of trails just west of town that ought to be
clear, not sure about the higher up ones.

Keep in mind that they ski on Bachelor until the 4th of July most years,
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/index.shtml
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/index-rec.html look for trail info.

This site was better than the average USFS site for trail information, and the rangers seemed to
know what they are talking about.

have fun

penny

On 27 Apr 2003 19:02:02 -0700, gill wrote:
> Am heading down to Bend Oregon next week and would like to know which trails might be open at this
> time of year. Also, which rides are recommended (am looking for intermediate-advanced ones).

See http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/conditions/recreport-bdfr-sum.shtml

Looks like there are a few trails that are snow-free.

BB wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2003 19:02:02 -0700, gill wrote:
>> Am heading down to Bend Oregon next week and would like to know which trails might be open at
>> this time of year. Also, which rides are recommended (am looking for intermediate-advanced ones).
>
> See http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/conditions/recreport-bdfr-sum.shtml
>
> Looks like there are a few trails that are snow-free.

so much for my recommendations. Looks like he'll be limited to the foothills. Dang, ,they do have a
good site tho... too bad all FS offices can't do this. There's no template for Forest Circus
recretion sites. I actually forwarded this site to one of our local ranger districts as an example
of what *could* be done as their site sucks. If you did deep enough at this site, you will get a
description and little map of each individual trail l they have listed in the district.

penny

On 27 Apr 2003 19:02:02 -0700, gill <[email protected]> wrote:

> Am heading down to Bend Oregon next week and would like to know which trails might be open at this
> time of year. Also, which rides are recommended (am looking for intermediate-advanced ones).

Head west from town a bit and do the Mckenzie River Trail. It is among the very finest pieces of
singletrack in the world (at least, in my experience)
. If you ride the MRT, you will be happy you did. If you don't, you won't know how unhappy you will
be for not doing it.

Miles

miles todd wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2003 19:02:02 -0700, gill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Am heading down to Bend Oregon next week and would like to know which trails might be open at
>> this time of year. Also, which rides are recommended (am looking for intermediate-advanced ones).
>>

> Head west from town a bit and do the Mckenzie River Trail. It is among the very finest pieces of
> singletrack in the world (at least, in my experience) . If you ride the MRT, you will be happy you
> did. If you don't, you won't know how unhappy you will be for not doing it.
>
> Miles

still under snow I would think. It's early spring up in the mountains. I would June at the earliest?

Penny

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:33:34 -0700, Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote:

> miles todd wrote:
>> On 27 Apr 2003 19:02:02 -0700, gill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Am heading down to Bend Oregon next week and would like to know which trails might be open at
>>> this time of year. Also, which rides are recommended (am looking for intermediate-advanced
>>> ones).
>>>

>> Head west from town a bit and do the Mckenzie River Trail. It is among the very finest pieces of
>> singletrack in the world (at least, in my experience) . If you ride the MRT, you will be happy
>> you did. If you don't, you won't know how unhappy you will be for not doing it.
>>
>> Miles
>
> still under snow I would think. It's early spring up in the mountains. I would June at the
> earliest?
>
> Penny

I doubt it. At the elevation the lower end lies it is nothing but rain this time of year. I'll bet
the top end is snow-free as well.

Miles

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:21:30 GMT, miles todd wrote:

> Head west from town a bit and do the Mckenzie River Trail.

That could be a good one; its at a fairly low elevation. Its a good ride, too.

On 28 Apr 2003 15:18:59 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:21:30 GMT, miles todd wrote:
>
>> Head west from town a bit and do the Mckenzie River Trail.
>
> That could be a good one; its at a fairly low elevation. Its a good ride, too.

Sorry, Blaine, but it isn't a good ride. It is a superb ride.

Miles